Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
ghostdog said:
Anyway, Codex is our name and bitching is our game.
That's why I'm taking it so well ;)

Thanks for your comments.

Makagor

Liturgist
As with any inside joke, the only people who will find it funny or even amusing are the insiders. I spent a few minutes checking out the website and the whole thing sounds like a big inside joke. Being an outsider, it just looks stupid as hell to me.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Well that's the thing, we've done a lot to make it inclusive, so it's not just a big in-joke. Sure there are certain jokes and nods that you won't get if - well, if you weren't actually part of the development team, but a lot of games have that. All in all you shouldn't have too much of a problem easing into the whole thing.

Don't just take it from me though, we sent nicely printed preview copies to two of the guys who work at ModDB, and one of them wrote a preview of the mod after he completed it (incidentally it took him just under 15 hours). He's never been involved in the DX community and in fact he wasn't even very experienced with Deus Ex (he didn't notice the skillpoint screen until half the way through the game, heheh), but he seemed to like it:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless- ... meless-mod

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Jonas said:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-nameless-mod/features/moddb-preview-the-nameless-mod
Sounds interesting. Like that choices with good consequences was a big focus.

I think the thing with this mod that puts most people off outside of the DX community is when they learn it's about some place called Forum City and whatnot, they automatically asume it to be full of lame internet memes and jokes (I did at first). As long as that isn't the case it shouldn't be too hard to get into the game.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Yeah when we'd spent 2 years on the game and realized the PDX community was falling apart and by the time we finished, there'd be nobody left to play it, we decided we had to broaden the scope a bit and make it more approachable to other people. We were really worried about whether we could pull that off for a long time, but when we started bringing in some testers - a few from outside the DX community at large - we were reassured that we'd at least succeeded to some extent. Here's hoping you'll agree!

lowkey

Novice
You guys are being total dicks!

I don't see how 7 years in the making is anything but a testament to the greatness of this mod! You guys just seem bitter because you didn't do anything like that. Christ you sound like sad grown up boys living in your mothers basement, to me!

"The seting is silly"

Well try the setting to any Qinten Tarrantino movie, like Pulp Fiction: Two hitman sit in a car and talk about fastfood! And that movie was really good!

I thought the original trailer actually looked like a lot of fun, and I think you should all give it a chance. Just because it is about a forum there is no need to trash it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Re: You guys are being total dicks!

lowkey said:
You guys just seem bitter because you didn't do anything like that. Christ you sound like sad grown up boys living in your mothers basement, to me!.
RPG Codex: We're a bunch of angry cunts.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am extremely skeptical right now, but if you manage to make a good mod i will be the first to praise you guys. Somehow i just don't see a mod with that kind of premise working, sorry. As for the mod taking 7 years, deus ex modding scene as a whole seems quite slow burner. Released so far are a whole bunch of maps with wildly inconsistent quality, a very well executed gameplay mod (shifter) a new renderer and a very limited betas for a retexturing pack and remodeling pack, that have also been in the works for an eternity. Nothing like thief modding scene for example. Lets hope that all three biggest projects in the pipeline (tnm, hdtp and nv) turn out to be worth the hype and also show that deus ex modding scene can deliver.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Being somewhat of a connoisseur of Deus Ex mods, I heartily recommend ZODIAC, Burden of 80 Proof, Redsun 2020, and Hotel Carone. ZODIAC and Redsun are the largest ones, and both set in the original Deus Ex world.

ZODIAC starts a bit slowly, the first mission (CIA HQ) suffers from being built before any gameplay was added to it, but it picks up pretty quickly after that and has a couple of missions that would feel right at home in the original game (Holloman Airforce Base comes to mind).

Redsun 2020 suffers from too great ambitions and not enough dedication - one guy ended up having to finish it on his own when everybody else had given up on it after 5 years of work. Its only real problems are that it gives you way less information than you'll generally need, so you often have no idea where to go or what to do, and that it has a couple of maps that are almost pitch black save for a few islands of light, which is extremely annoying. Nevertheless, it's very impressive mod with a lot of good ideas.

Hotel Carone is meant as a couple of large missions that ostensibly fit into the Deus Ex continuity, but it works fine if just played on its own - the titular mission is probably the largest level ever built for Deus Ex - it's astoundingly huge and packed with gameplay.

Finally, Burden of 80 Proof is a fully voice-acted throwback to the adventure games of old, casting you as a regular office worker who has to arrange a weekend cabin party with a friend, gathering the necessary ingredients (alcohol, girls, weed) and trying to avoid getting thrown in jail while you're at it. The man behind it is actually a professional writer, and all his voice-over artists are aspiring actors made to record in his friend's studio in New York, so the quality of the script and delivery is really high.

Those are the absolute highlights, but I have a more thorough list over at the OTP forums that I keep reasonably up-to-date:

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... f=6&t=1042

Lots of good stuff there :)

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Speaking of Deus Ex, I was playing it right now, and just did the Lebedev airfield bit.

Dedicated fans would know there are several options here.

1) Kill Lebedev.
2) Leave Navarre to kill Lebedev
3) Kill Navarre and spare Lebedev
and, as I was suprised to find out
4)Kill Navarre, then Lebedev

What I was suprised to know was that the developers expected you might go for the fourth option, and wrote an entire alternative situation for it.

The fourth option really puts you on thin ice, because it Manderley immediately suspects that something was up, considering that documented records show that you killed Lebedev, and yet the body of Navarre was found. They really do think something is up with you, and your boss rather grudgingly says, "Here! Take your pre-op bonus."

What the hell kind of a game is this?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
You can also kick Anna in the teeth until she cloaks leaving both lebedev and her alive.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
It's the kinda game where they'll happily write a whole extra little conversation if you enter a Hong Kong apartment through the back door from the canal instead of going in the front door.

"Did they throw you into the canal?"
"I was swimming."

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jesus Christ, no wonder Spector dumbed down Invisible War.

We are unworthy of Deus Ex. Deus Ex is too good for us. :)

I mean, in the barracks at Lebedev airfield, I just pushed a brick under the stairs and found a new room. Despite having played the game three times before.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mod looks kinda interesting, I'll definitely check it out.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The voice acting seems a bit off-putting. Especially that guy in the first trailer with the flimsy geeky talk.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
The videos on the moddb page are actually quite interesting. The quality of the voice acting is stunning considering it's a mod. Writing seems goofy, but i guess it's supposed to be given the premise. I will certainly play it when it's released.

Longshanks

Augur
Okay, seems kinda silly. But, not much more so than the original game.
The setting's no more outlandish than that of Tron, and Tron is awesome. I'm definitely intrigued enough to at least give it a try.

Nedrah

Erudite
After watching the new trailer (old one was not-so-great, but you know that) and reading through your mod description on your homepage, something clicked with me. This might actually be really interesting, I'm looking forward to the release.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
MaskedMartyr said:
The guys from OTP are calling us wank stains.
Correction: One of the mod's fans is being rude to you on our forums. I would never call you any such thing. I love you all (in spite of any slight exhasperation I may have expressed over there at the difficulty of explaining our concept).

We're releasing the mod tonight at 9 pm EST (1 am GMT) such that Europeans and Australians will have it Sunday as promised. Then you can grab it and check it out for yourselves :)

Looking forward to hear what you guys will think after playing it (but also faintly terrified at the prospect of course, as it should be).

Nedrah

Erudite
Tonight, huh?
Perfect, I had planned for a nice calm pc-centric evening anyways.

Having worked on this mod for 7 years, this has to be a pretty special day for you. Congratulations on making it.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Nedrah said:
Having worked on this mod for 7 years, this has to be a pretty special day for you. Congratulations on making it.
Thank you, it feels pretty undescribable.

And really terrifying.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Sorry for the double-post but the mod is out now so you can get it and judge for yourself.

And if you don't like it, you can make your scathing criticism way, way more painful ;)

http://thenamelessmod.com/downloads/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom