Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod

Alright, I'll give it a buzz. But I'm not as angry as most of these folk, so I'm not sure how much use my opinion will be.

Nedrah

Erudite
Looks like I slept through release. That's one seriously fast download server you've set up there, it's coming at 2,3MB a second. I'll let you know what I think ;)

Is this compatible if I have Shifter Mod already installed?

Edit - Checked the fact and there's some problems with it.

Edit 2 - I'm experienceing a glitch where after loading a savegame all sounds are accompanied by a very intrusive static.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Satori said:

Yeah but Yuki (the guy behind Shifter) got a late beta build and is preparing to make a TNM-compatible version of Shifter. He's great.

Edit 2 - I'm experienceing a glitch where after loading a savegame all sounds are accompanied by a very intrusive static.
I remember having something like that on my old SoundBlaster 5.1 card. I had to close and re-open the game once or twice to get rid of it, very annoying. I can't be much help though, it's a Deus Ex thing AFAIK, and the way I managed to fix it was to switch to onboard sound.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I keep getting some weird problem where the dialog text goes off screen so I can't read the text. Same for dialog choices. Never had this problem with DX so I'm guessing it's something to do with the mod? It's actually gotten me permanantly stuck in conversation because I'm unable to select the option to end it.

Anyways, I'll wait until this gets patched up before playing anymore. Plus, my carpal tunnel is hurting like a bitch again so I need to take a break from games anyway.

burrie

Scholar
First impressions are slightly mixed.

The first hub just feels too big & empty, and took me too long to go from A to B. Had some problems with navigating around the city at times, and found myself walking around the area for more than a hour without knowing what I'm actually supposed to do. The biggest problem I'm having so far is that it definately feels as if I'm part of some big in-joke at times of which I'm not familiar with. The quotes during the loading screens don't help either. I would've preferred some setting tidbits instead.

However, I have to give Off Topic Productions kudos for the incredible achievement. The voice acting is very good, the dialogue is well written, and the setting, although somewhat surreal, IS interesting and feels developed. The new features are more than welcome, and it feels as if I'm in a different setting than DX's.

Also, I just managed to get the 1000 credits to get past the initial hub, and am now getting into the corporate sector and have to make one big choice with a similiar big consequence. Overall, I'm getting into the storyline, and I am curious to see where this is all going to lead to.

The in-jokes have somewhat put me off however the KotOR 2 and PST references have given me incentive to keep on gaming. So far it's a pretty good job you've done here.

Also do you think it's possible to include an alt-tab feature?

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Fat Dragon said:
I keep getting some weird problem where the dialog text goes off screen so I can't read the text. Same for dialog choices. Never had this problem with DX so I'm guessing it's something to do with the mod? It's actually gotten me permanantly stuck in conversation because I'm unable to select the option to end it.
What resolution are you playing in? This is probably because of our fix for the GUI not scaling correctly on high resolutions. Try using this "un-fix" to revert back to Deus Ex's GUI:

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... =32&t=1696

Satori said:
Also do you think it's possible to include an alt-tab feature?
The alt-tab problem is almost certainly because of the Enhanced OpenGL renderer we're using by default. Try switching back to the D3D renderer. If that fixes it, you may want to try downloading and installing the 3rd party DirectX9 renderer from Chris Dohnal's website:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Jonas said:
Satori said:

Yeah but Yuki (the guy behind Shifter) got a late beta build and is preparing to make a TNM-compatible version of Shifter. He's great.

I remember having something like that on my old SoundBlaster 5.1 card. I had to close and re-open the game once or twice to get rid of it, very annoying. I can't be much help though, it's a Deus Ex thing AFAIK, and the way I managed to fix it was to switch to onboard sound.

holy shit shifter and this mod im gonna blow a load

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Before you spend too much time tweaking your Deus Ex settings, try using this 3rd-party .exe created to solve technical problems with modern hardware:

http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/

If that works for DX, TNM will automatically work too, as we've packaged it with the mod.

My first impressions are that this is truly an awesome mod, after having warmed to whole forum/moderators etc thing and the breaking of the 4th wall, I can actually appreciate this as a great mod. The music is very reminiscent of Deus Ex, the sound effects are as you would expect them to be i.e superb, graphics are fantastic, the level design is nigh on perfect with the exception that they be a touch too large, the VA's are very natural which gives a very relaxed and realistic atmosphere, the writing is top notch if a bit too verbose (the main thing that irritates me is that it switches between British and American e.g 'armour' and 'armor') and finally the humour is excellent and has made me laugh quite a few times (especially the musician's joke about fainting if he hears music under 192kbps, that gave my audiophile heart a nice glow).

So in short this is a *must* for any fan of Deus Ex or even enjoyable high quality gaming.
HĂĽmmelgĂĽmpf said:
Satori said:
KotOR 2 and PST references
That's it, I'm DLing this baby.
2dbjok1.jpg

Also this mod is quite difficult, on Deus Ex I can breeze through it on Realistic whereas I'm having quite some trouble on normal with this, I don't know if that's due to the fact that there are hardly any medi-bots and medikits or if I'm just used the the standard Deus Ex level layout.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Satori said:
the writing is top notch if a bit too verbose (the main thing that irritates me is that it switches between British and American e.g 'armour' and 'armor')
Thanks a lot. I'm sorry about the dialect switching, something like 90% of the text in the game was written by me, and I'm Danish so I keep slipping up with the American/British spellings :P

Especially defense/defence gets me every damn time.

entertainer: I'm sorry you're experiencing a lot of crashing, we've received several reports like that, and we're looking into it. We seem to be getting crashes from 3 different sources, and hopefully we can fix them in time for the first patch, 1.0.1, which we're trying to get out as soon as possible. It'll also fix a couple of minor logic glitches people have discovered, plus a particular mission that's been especially poorly received will get a partial overhaul.

Yannos

Educated
So how well does the "no kills" method work in this mod? I used to love play Deus Ex and never fatally kill a human (sneaking up an using my baton alot!). I dunno why; at first so you'd get good comments from Paul and such but afterwards it doesn't make an impact on the plot anymore but I kept doing it... I feel sorry voor dead pixelguy's family I guess.

The reason I ask is because I am getting really frustrated in the WorldCorp mission where I have to deploy some spyware or something on their servers but the guards are amazingly resistent to a stealthy knock to the head (however I sometimes get instant knockouts if I turn on my meleeweapons aug and do a jump attack) and I don't know how you can avoid certain camera's or guard patrols... So is there a reward in the end for sparing lives or should I give myself a break and just murderize everyone?

Yannos said:
So how well does the "no kills" method work in this mod? I used to love play Deus Ex and never fatally kill a human (sneaking up an using my baton alot!). I dunno why; at first so you'd get good comments from Paul and such but afterwards it doesn't make an impact on the plot anymore but I kept doing it... I feel sorry voor dead pixelguy's family I guess.

The reason I ask is because I am getting really frustrated in the WorldCorp mission where I have to deploy some spyware or something on their servers but the guards are amazingly resistent to a stealthy knock to the head (however I sometimes get instant knockouts if I turn on my meleeweapons aug and do a jump attack) and I don't know how you can avoid certain camera's or guard patrols... So is there a reward in the end for sparing lives or should I give myself a break and just murderize everyone?
I'm just slightly further ahead than you are and I must say it seems like it would be much more of challenge to do a no-kill run than in the original, in fact I'm even having a hard time without such a restriction.

By the way, that Voodoo shop is great, reminds me of Anachronox.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Yannos said:
In the PDX storyline, Kashue will reward you with extra credits if you don't kill too many people, but Phasmatis will compensate you with extra items if you kill enough that Kashue gets mad and withholds a bonus.

The WC guards shouldn't be much different from MJ12 troops. Deus Ex works with a somewhat quirky damage multiplier system where you deal way more damage if you hit them just in the back of the neck or (weirdly) right above the arse. Once you get the hang of it, those multiplier zones aren't too difficult to hit. You also get a further multiplier if they're not aware of your presence.

We've also added a couple of new non-lethal weapons to the game - your fists deal non-lethal damage (but kinda suck in the damage department) and can be upgraded with stun gloves to make it easier to incapacitate enemies. The PHAT-rifle's rice bag ammo can knock anybody out in one hit from a distance (ANYBODY, regardless of health), but are a little tricky to aim because they have a ballistic trajectory, and if you find a tranquilizer mine, they work a lot like poison darts, except they're wall-mounted laser tripwires.

Yannos

Educated
Good to know.

I persisted in my insanity and managed to basically get everyone in the entire goddamn building knocked unconcious... (garage and secret basement too). I was rewarded with a paltry 100credits extra but atleast my karmalevels are on the rise! I upgraded my Melee attack aug a few times so I hope the goat dudes will go down easier :)

The entire mission was very well done btw; lots of branching stuff and places to explore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom