Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex - The Nameless Mod

Yannos

Educated
I gotta say, this mod has grown on me... even the goofy setting.

As you would have imagined I really enjoyed the non-lethal side mission that you get from Wolf! Finally all my non lethal weaponry became helpful :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
References to KotOR2, PST and Bloodlines!

I'm typing with one hand and downloading this right now!

Oh and congrats on the release. :wink:

Had to format when I was I was at ShadowCode so I guess I'll go with Scara and the Goats this time around.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So Jaesun you seem like an elitist type - be sure to write if this mod is worth it. Because I was thinking of installing DX again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
So Jaesun you seem like an elitist type - be sure to write if this mod is worth it. Because I was thinking of installing DX again.

Sure. I already had DX installed, so I thought why the hell not. And I have just recently replayed DX and finished it. I also have played DX:IW. Fuck that was awful.

I'll give a write up what I think about it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Allrighty. I've finished the "First Area" Missions. Picked a side, and have done 2 missions for them so far. (I've played for about... 10 hours?).

I'm giving this mod a Thumbs Up, and do recommend this.

I was a bit initially put off in that it seemed to mainly be a Parody Mod, and a "You will get it, if you were a Planet Deus Ex forum member for the last 7 years lulz".

Basically the game takes place in a "Virtual Reality" of Planet Deus Ex. Ala the Matrix, your character is just a virtual you in this world. As well as the other people. I feel it is very well presented and actually works well. There are quite a number of lulz in the first area while talking to the newbies and such, but in speaking to the other people and coming across conversations you do feel you are in this virtual reality and are now caught up in the events that are quickly unfolding. The writing and info in books etc... I felt really make this setting work well, and is enjoyable to me.

There is quite a bit of dialogue, and the writing is good/solid (no it's not fucking TORMENT, so don't even expect that). The voice acting is actually very good. I was expecting A LOT worse. It's all been recorded at a professional level. There is the occasional pronunciations of people's names that are off, but that's not enough to jar me out of the "immershun".

The bookstore that had a TON of dialogue about the original Deus Ex was fucking excellent. You can get some info on the 5 AI's that were in the game as well at what is speculated as the 6th that was cut from the game. Also a load of other trivia info from the original. For Deus Ex fans you should find this fun.

I felt the level designs were very good. They sick to the good Deus Ex formula in that you can accomplish missions GUNZ BLAING! Or Go in stealthy. Rewared for exploring etc... Unlike IW, these guy know what was fun in DX and added them to this Mod. There's new textures, and a few options to customize your character. There are now vending machines where you can buy ammo and items (Money is pretty tightly controlled, so dont think you are going to have TONS of ammo... you wont). Hacking ATM's is now much more logical.

BUT WHAT ABOUT MUTHERFUCKING C&C!!!111!! There are. Just like in the original. Say for example in the Beginning Area, if you happen to handle some mission non-lethally, there is specific dialogue that acknowledges this. And I was "rewarded" for for handling the fist area non-lethally (with the faction I chose to side with). There is also a Bar in the beginning area, and there was dialogue as well acknowledging my non-lethal approach to the mission. Also, my handling of a certain mission was displayed as news story on the public terminal's that have news. Nice touch. I don't know if there is really good C&C say in DX with Anna Navarra (In the NSF Airfield mission. Killing her, or killing her and Lebedev, Killing Lebedev, leaving Anna alive etc etc...)Jonas could probably speak up more about this, so yes there is from what I have seen so far.

If you are expecting a SERIOUS RPG (because RPG's are SERIOUS BUSINESS!!11!!), and are an ANGRY RPG CUNT, then this is not the mod for you.

If you are however a fan of Deus Ex, and are not bothered by playing a "Light Hearted" RPG, and just are in the mood for a "fun" diversion, I'll recommend this.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This is a really excellent mod, probably the best I've ever played, though admittedly I don't play many. The goofy setting put me off at first but somehow the designers managed to make it work.

The voice acting is also good, particuarly for the main character who is actually ::gasp:: cool. A lame hero can ruin an otherwise decent game for me, thankfully that's not the case here.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll also vouch for the mod. I've just beaten it after siding with PDX and the goats. The level design is very wide open, except in the case of a VERY annoying AI about halfway through the PDX missions. I also felt that the last mission relied too heavily on combat, but maybe I just suck. However, the fact that I disliked only two out of however many gobs of levels they threw in the game is pretty remarkable in and of itself.

It's also got a very reactive world, NPCs recognize and respond to a myriad of different things, and there's C&C aplenty. It's one of the few games where I actually felt like what I was doing meant SOMETHING to the world, and the Fallout style "where's everyone now?" ending really was the icing on the cake.

It's pretty glitchy, but nothing too awful bad. the cult missions glitched entirely on me, unfortunately, and I didn't get to see how they panned out. I thinik they ironed that out in their patch, or maybe their upcoming patch, though. I didn't bother patching it because I didn't want to restart my game. I'll try that out the next time I start, though.

Overall, I'd say give it a whirl. It's free, so the only thing you have to lose by playing it is time. Really, though, if you've beaten Deus Ex, and just don't feel like uninstalling it yet, it's an excellent compendium to the full game.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Thanks a lot for your kind words, guys, they mean a lot, especially coming from Codexers ;)

I'm really sad the first cult mission was so thoroughly glitched in version 1.0.0. It's a ludicrously complicated mission seeing how for each cult you can either help, fight, betray, kill, or knock out your contact, and the mission has to respond correctly to any of these actions at any point in the mission. For example, kill or knock Abom out before even getting the mission, and it has to account for that. Kill or knock him out after getting the mission from him, and it has to respond differently. Do it after getting the counter-mission from Dark Templar, another slightly different response. This game logic is distributed amongst triggers in the map, functions in the mission script, and events in the dialogue files, and it all has to work together.

I'm not making excuses, but those are the conditions of a game like Deus Ex, Bloodlines, or TNM (yes, I totally just did that). It's very difficult to set up, but it's also awesome fun when it works in my opinion. Almost all the logic glitches in that mission were fixed in patch 1.0.1, but a few last problems will be taken care of in the upcoming 1.0.2 (expect it out around the 20th).

I'm glad you enjoyed it overall. And no, you don't suck, it just IS very hard to avoid combat on the final mission - simply because there are so many enemies. They do act like regular people though, in spite of their appearances, so stealth is possible. Just really hard.

Thanks again, it's really great to get some feedback from all you guys :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've started playing it and so far it has exceeded my expectations. Up to this point with the 1.01 patch I haven't found any problems with the cult missions. Definitely recommended for all DX fans.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Just gotten around to playing this after having it downloaded for about a year. I'm having a blast, it's packed with so many things to see, find and do that I've spent hours just exploring the hub maps. Challenge level is perfect as well. Definitely recommended.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Just gotten around to playing this after having it downloaded for about a year. I'm having a blast, it's packed with so many things to see, find and do that I've spent hours just exploring the hub maps. Challenge level is perfect as well. Definitely recommended.

+1

One of the few excellent mods out there.

Squirly

Educated
I have played this and it is good.

Especially the lore. I spent half an hour in the book shop alone.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Bumping this.

I feel like this thing is probably not getting this recognition it deserves, and the first reaction of the Codex (though understandable) is a bit shameful.

The setting does get on my nerves as always, but this is good. The overall design is great. I feel like it's a mix between classic DX gameplay and Bloodlines. It's certainly more of a roleplaying game than DX ever was (which I consider to be more of an action-adventure game, all said and done). If Bloodlines made it into the top 5 of the Codex's favorites, then anyone who liked that should play this, most def - there are no annoying sewer levels, either

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow! It's been a year since this. The game deserves the bumps, though. I replayed this just last month, and my impressions are still as positive as they were the first time I played it. Perhaps more so. I sided with Scara and the game played out completely different (quite a few levels unique to the story branch you choose, too), with a whole new host of C&C and reactions to my play style. This game really is something special. I can't give it too sloppy a blowjob, though. That setting sure is goony, bordering on grating at times. I think it would have been better with a more serious story.

And I finally got to see how the Goat story pans out! The patches fixed the cult storylines as smooth as you please. Always a bonus. Just a few alt-tab glitches here and there. (Don't alt-tab the freaking game.)

Overall, this very nearly belongs in the pantheon for the sheer scope and ambition of its creators. The love just pours out of every crevasse in the game. More Codexers ought to give it a whirl.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started this a few months back, and it's surprisingly good, yes. The setting is... well, it takes a while to get used to it but it's not bad. Level design is awesome, there's lots of C&C, it's probably more similar to original DX design than Desu 3x Human Revolushun will ever be. Levels are reasonably large, there are lots of secrets to discover... basically, if you liked Deus Ex, you'll like this mod.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The sad thing is that without the silly setting and the inside references and humor this mod/game could have been monumental.

Take the shodan-parody level for example. It had incredible level design, very atmospheric moments and then the irritating shodan-parody appeared (based on one of their old forum members or something) and it destroyed the atmosphere.

The same thing happens with the silly humor between the llama and the goat factions.

They should have scrapped their original story idea midway, it was obvious it would hamper the end result. Especially when the level design and gameplay mechanics are superb.

zeitgeist

Magister
If this mod is so great, why has no one made a mod for it that gives it a (somewhat more) serious setting yet.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
zeitgeist said:
If this mod is so great, why has no one made a mod for it that gives it a (somewhat more) serious setting yet.

A good question, well let me tell you about it
goodfellas2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom