Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dev Log #56: Experimental Branch with Version 1.0.3.13

Tygrende

Arbiter
I thought it was 30 minutes...
Nope, most definitely 90 minutes, unless you are suffering from a really weird bug.

http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Merchants

Most merchant stores are restocked every 90 minutes.

So that's why stuff was hard to find early on!
Yeah, it can be pretty hard to find the specific things you need early on. The more restocks happen, the more opportunities for that thing to appear.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Hey Sykar, you probably don't remember, but I promised you a video:

What is worse is that any build which does not have an overabundance of AoE is forced to spam bear trap over the entire field. I had to reload even when I laid down well over 30 traps and the 50 I mentioned was a mere guestimate. Sorry but this is not fun. It is also not "hard" since there are no choices to be made it all boils down to "Are there enough bear traps or not?".

I will be sure to record beating that fight with no AoE or traps whatsoever, you have my word.

I was able to beat the waves with no a single trap or grenade whatsoever, but I did have to use 10 crawler caltrops (throwing them through the entire fight, not placing all of them before it starts). I guess they can be considered AoE, but that's the best I've got.

Sadly Dan, Saban and the sentry did not survive with that method. I remember you had troubles with keeping them alive, so I ended up doing 2 videos- in the second one I used gas grenades and no caltrops, that was enough to keep them alive. Consider this my gift to you, Merry Christmas. The quality is terrible for the first 10-15 seconds for some reason (I don't upload on youtube often), but after that's fine.

By the way, my build definitely does not have an "overabundance of AoE", as a matter of fact it's not very suited for this particular fight since it relies on crits a lot. It's a sniper build and I recall you were playing a sniper/psi hybrid so they should be a bit similiar. Caltrops require some mechanics and 55 biology to craft if you want to make them yourself, but with enough patience they can be bought from stores. Gas grenades require only 20 biology/chemistry and 5 mechanics.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Your video just proves exactly my two major gripes with this fight.

1.) Obnoxious amount of total HP to burn through
2.) Terrible AI AND equipment for Dan and Saban

I have repeatedly said that this fight is obnoxious and unfun. I not once said I could not beat it. In fact I already said that I have no problem coming up with builds which can beat this game on Dominating without too much of an effort. Heck if not for Death Stalkers my favorite build could beat it as well even though you mock it for having the lowest amount of HP. Maybe it could beat Death Stalkers if only I could find a good quality motion tracking lens so I could have a better pair of detection googles instead of the ones I am wearing for 10 levels now and cannot find a replacement since the game stubbornly refuses to give me motion tracking lenses of 90+ quality even though my Spearhead has 96 quality parts. Mindbogglingly stupid.
Watched it anyways, thanks for the effort I guess.
Also my build cannot spare 20 points in both chemistry and biology. It is spread thin as it already is. The price you pay for playing a hybrid.

I still no reasonable excuse for any of my two gripes. The fight is not particularly challenging. There is not much more to do than using some CC and burning through the stupid HP bloat. And if you are like me and want to keep Saban and Dan alive this turns into a major nuisance since those two act retarded.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Nope, most definitely 90 minutes, unless you are suffering from a really weird bug.

Are you sure? Allright, I was definitely wrong with 30 minutes, but maybe hour? Are you really sure in it? I mean, for me it seems like faster, because I was ingaged in game I think...
Before it was definitely faster right?

In other words, I beat Deport A.
Man, what a fight that was, on a map that filled with mutants - not with Wyatt Pear, another one.
Also, sadly, if you using only chem guns, you can't reliably win, because you need to proc frozen state o someone who blocked the door. With Coocked Shot I procced once three at once lol.
Also, I was lucky that not all mutants and dogs aggroed, 3 dogs and a mutant left at entrance.
Mutants not affected by acid, while mutated dogs are - if I knew that from beginning, that fight coul be easier.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
1.) Obnoxious amount of total HP to burn through
I don't see this as flaw because this is the one factor that necessitates coming up with new strategies. This really distinguishes DOMINATING from all other difficulties. Gas grenades are are very good example- they work wonders in this fight, I never found them to be nearly as useful before.

2.) Terrible AI AND equipment for Dan and Saban
I don't see much wrong with their AI, maybe except the sentry, it transforms back and forth without doing anything a lot. I agree giving them W2C ammo is not a bad idea though.

I not once said I could not beat it.
I'm not accusing you of saying that, but you did say

there are no choices to be made it all boils down to "Are there enough bear traps or not?"

Which is not true. There are several strategies that work here.

if only I could find a good quality motion tracking lens so I could have a better pair of detection googles instead of the ones I am wearing for 10 levels now and cannot find a replacement since the game stubbornly refuses to give me motion tracking lenses of 90+ quality even though my Spearhead has 96 quality parts.
The availability of components being random is to be expected.

Have you witnessed the Tchortists stealing the Cube yet? After this event the quality of components merchants sell increases.

Also my build cannot spare 20 points in both chemistry and biology. It is spread thin as it already is. The price you pay for playing a hybrid.
Well, it's up to you to make it work in DOMINATING. You can't expect that it will be viable just because it was in the old Hard. I had to make a few tweaks after the infused siphoners tabis nerf myself.

Are you sure?Allright, I was definitely wrong with 30 minutes, but maybe hour? Are you really sure in it? I mean, for me it seems like faster, because I was ingaged in game I think...
Before it was definitely faster right?
Well I never actually counted, but I'm pretty sure it is 90 minutes.

Are you using speedhack? From what I know it also speeds up the refresh rate.

Tygrende

Arbiter
No it is the same strategy. Except for bear traps you use Crawler poison Caltrops.
That's an oversimplification and you know it.

I haven't placed 50 caltrops before the fight even starts, I've been throwing them and retreating during the entire fight. Using gas grenades in not the same either as they don't affect bladeling's mobility at all, they simply make it easier to kill them fast.

Following this line of thinking, all strategies in the game are the same- you deal damage to enemies until they die while simultaneously preventing your HP bar from reaching 0.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe he mean, when they two stay before doorframe, I have seen that they can't walk in even if the door is open, looks like they interfere with each other.

Sykar

Arcane
No it is the same strategy. Except for bear traps you use Crawler poison Caltrops.
That's an oversimplification and you know it.

I haven't placed 50 caltrops before the fight even starts, I've been throwing them and retreating during the entire fight. Using gas grenades in not the same either as they don't affect bladeling's mobility at all, they simply make it easier to kill them fast.

Following this line of thinking, all strategies in the game are the same- you deal damage to enemies until they die while simultaneously preventing your HP bar from reaching 0.

No it is not. There are many ways to get a HP down to 0 and it is possible to do so without an CC or setups depending on build, circumstances and difficulty. You use the very same tactic: Stop a group of melees with CC. Crawler poison stuns for 2 round, bear traps roots them for 3. Both do the same, they make them helpless and unable to move into range to deal damage to you. If I could apply bear traps on the run like Caltrops I would do the same. The difference here is a difference of mechanics, NOT tactics.

Found one bug: You can "freeze" psi-beetles if you close a door when they sit on the door frame tile.

How exactly? I can't close the door when someone is sitting in the door frame.

It is a weird bug that happened to me once as well. I am not even sure I can replicate it but yes I too was able to kill a psi beetle in the warehouse with Newton in it because it was somehow stuck inside the door.
My best guess is that during the transition between real time and turnbased something went wrong. Maybe there is something when the beetle starts to move more into the room while on the door tile. I can only speculate how it happens because as I said I could not replicate it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Found one bug: You can "freeze" psi-beetles if you close a door when they sit on the door frame tile.

How exactly? I can't close the door when someone is sitting in the door frame.

38577572764_ab5993a3e4_k.jpg

If I close the door when a psi-beetle is sitting on the exact tile that my character is sitting then the psi-beetle will get stuck (it will not be able to attack or move).

Are you sure you checked both door frame tiles before closing the door? :)

In order to reproduce the bug I assume that the following things have to happen:
1) Psi-beetle sits on that tile.
2) I close the door by clicking the door frame tile which is one tile above.
3) The door frame tile I clicked is free therefore the door closes and the psi-beetle is stuck.

razvedchiki

Magister
Tygrende I see you use a pistol as secondary to your sniper,did you take any pistol feats/pumped dex?would a .44 hammer with explosive bullets and rapid fire work well?

Tygrende

Arbiter
Tygrende I see you use a pistol as secondary to your sniper, did you take any pistol feats/pumped dex?
Gunslinger on level 2, Kneecap Shot on level 4 and Rapid Fire on level 12. I also plan to take Point Shot on level 24 because there's not much else I find useful at that point, but it's not vital.

Only 7 DEX for Gunslinger (and Escape Artist, now that siphoner tabis don't give immunity to immoblization).

The general idea is to sacrifice the superior damage of SMGs in exchange for +7 initative and +5% inherent precision neo lugers have. I find pistol damage to be adequate for a sidearm and really like having high initative. Also, pistols benefit from Sharpshooter while SMGs do not, but that's just a bonus.

would a .44 hammer with explosive bullets and rapid fire work well?
I guess it should, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I tend to go with laser sight/rapid reloader 9mm neo luger. 15% precision might not seem like a big deal on paper, but in practice it is very handy against enemies with high evasion, especially when you really need that Kneecap Shot to hit.

Also, the hammerer's increased critical damage is a bit wasted since you will want to use Aimed Shot with the sniper rifle when possible. Not entirely wasted, it's still a good bonus, but not as valueable as it would be for a pure pistol build.

razvedchiki

Magister
So you open battle with snipe,then aimed shot both with sniper and then if anyone closes in you use pistol?
What stat you cut in order to get Dex to 7?my sniper build is 5/3/9/3/10/3/7, I cant take points from int because the junkyard surprise doesn't give bonus anymore.

Tygrende

Arbiter
So you open battle with snipe,then aimed shot both with sniper and then if anyone closes in you use pistol?
Basically. I might save Aimed Shot for later if I can take advantage of Ambush though. I will still use the sniper rifle after the initial Aimed Shot/Snipe , pistol is reserved for when:
  1. Enemies get too close (be it because there's nowhere to run or because I'm immobilized)
  2. I'm debuffed with Crippling Strike and can't use the rifle effectively. If it's just 1 stack I might use adrenline to offset the STR penalty and finish the fight before the effect ends.
  3. Finishing enemies with a sliver of HP left
  4. I want to hide behind a corner, shoot and hide back. That said I sometimes use spearhead to shoot out of a corner as well since 15% move penalty is not that bad.
What stat you cut in order to get Dex to 7?
St0tiJd.png

my sniper build is 5/3/9/3/10/3/7, I cant take points from int because the junkyard surprise doesn't give bonus anymore.
I never used junkyard surprise to buff INT. 5 is enough for crafting if you ask me, I only take 7 if I want one of the crafting feats.

razvedchiki

Magister
Hmm you base your defence around good HP pool with pork leathers and alpha strike,what I do is use evasion/dodge and a stealthy tactical vest.against bullet enemies it helps to mitigate DMG for the bullets that get through evasion.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Hmm you base your defence around good HP pool with pork leathers and alpha strike,what I do is use evasion/dodge and a stealthy tactical vest.against bullet enemies it helps to mitigate DMG for the bullets that get through evasion.
Not saying my way is the only way, just my preference. I always considered dodge/evasion to be a bit underwhelming considering how much skil point investment they take, but they work.

razvedchiki

Magister
yes,you need to go all the way in order for them to work,that means nimble/siphoner tabi/armor.still dmg gets regularly through which leads to rage and f9 button smashing.

Self-Ejected

xipenec

Self-Ejected
No.
Insignificant is the color of a leather vest.
Clicking that icon is perverse absolutley haram f you have a keyboard.
What do you do with your left hand? Stroking?
Also, caltrops are basically AOE traps... :killit:

Sykar

Arcane
No.
Insignificant is the color of a leather vest.
Clicking that icon is perverse absolutley haram f you have a keyboard.
What do you do with your left hand? Stroking?
Also, caltrops are basically AOE traps... :killit:

It is either Caltrops with Burrower poison or bear traps. It is funny that he does not acknowledge that this fight is obnoxious and unfun on Dominating on top of believing that what he did is vastly different from what I did though in essence it is exactly the same.

Tygrende

Arbiter
You might want to rethink that.

Also, caltrops are basically AOE traps
In real life? Yes. In Underrail? Nah.

on top of believing that what he did is vastly different from what I did though in essence it is exactly the same
I'm pretty confident making both of these videos cost me less time and effort than your shenanigans. I would probably find it obnoxious and unfun too if I had to place 50 bear traps beforehand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom