Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer log

hexer

Bros, I know this doesn't make any sense but I wanted to show you how replacement art looks like. This will be replaced by a giant power node with power lines running around the room's floor and walls. By doing this I get a pretty good feeling for the art's size and "feel" of the area.

1dcVBUU.png

Last edited by a moderator:

hexer

Any mappers out there that would like to join the team? I want to start working on new art ASAP and an additional mapper would speed things up!

hexer

Finished what I planned to do with Fallout 2 mapper. Now it's all about FOnline.
I've started working again on custom art yesterday - first on the list is Ouroboros!

hiver

Is the pyramid going to look like it was made out of stacked cars, trailers and stuff that area uses, looking like the usual pyramids, where just the "blocks" are of different material?

Additionally is the style going to be more like the Egyptian pyramids or south american Mayan style?
I kinda think something closer to Mayan style pyramid would be more interesting, a bit more original.

Maybe a part of the front of the Temple of Trials could be used as an entrance?
I kinda imagine there would be steps up the front, with the entrance carved into the middle of the pyramid. approximately.

How hard would it be to learn doing some maps.. or mapping?

hexer

The pyramid is made out of steel so stone is out.
The work is going to start similarly to this:

2337173-modern-building--pyramid-with-glass-and-steel-facade-palm-cove-sydney-royal-botanic-gardens.jpg

Then each side will be covered with various sheets of metal.

rusty-metal-sheet-21197743.jpg

I think I will add steps in the front as you suggest. There will also be two large lit braziers next to the entrance.

How hard would it be to learn doing some maps.. or mapping?

It's not hard at all. Here's a tutorial for starters

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Floors_and_walls

hiver

I know stone is out. I was wandering if its going to be something with relatively smooth surface - or built from crushed cars and wagon trailers and other such stuff that is mentioned in the description of the area - so it resembles a pyramid build out of huge blocks.
I suppose its easier to make and texture a smooth surface one though.

Ill take a look at the tutorial.

- The steps and the entrance will make it look a bit more impressive, braziers are always good.
Maybe it has lower part surrounded with a kind of a wall of various wrecks of cars , out of which the rest of the pyramid arises up from? steps lead over and through that first ground level wall?

if its smooth then maybe a blackened, rusty colors and textures? Like it was attacked by fire but survived. Burnt on the outside?

just thinking out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexer

It will definitively not have a smooth surface. I am also wondering if the Mayan pyramid would make more sense because of the room design and it would be easier for them to built.

VB_DD06_map_Pyramid.png

hiver

Yup, that can easily be seen as three floors of a vault, just stacked upwards - while the outside would roughly follow.

Mapping seems simple enough. I guess making those three areas, layouts, floors walls and few basic props, for example, shouldnt be a problem. What else do i need?

hexer

Working hard on Hecate's pyramid! I'm currently finishing the paintover. This will be then combined with the source layer to give it that extra realistic touch.

Here's the WIP of an eastern corner

KZGCd8p.png

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Looks good, but it neeeds some sort of... I dunno if it fits in the area or not but it needs some graffiti or some sort of style added to it. Perhaps make parts of the metal burnt/melted?

hexer

Graffiti, windows, chimneys, bolts, nails, screws, and other bits will be added last. But this is a pretty good indicator of the direction I'm heading for.

The next screenshot I plan to post will be a finished pyramid, inside the game's engine. Then you will have a before and after pics to compare :)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So, after getting attacked by work and life I have decided to no longer be a writer/designer on Van Buren. Mainly because it was affecting the quality of the writing I was doing for Van Buren and I wanted it to be perfect, (my docs are riddled with errors I gave the team the most finished/well written one for use) and I can't achieve the level of perfection required. So I've gone into a more qa testing/feedback role, and also working with the composer to reach the creative vision.

Best of luck to the team though! I'm looking forward to playing this game!

hexer

So, after getting attacked by work and life I have decided to no longer be a writer/designer on Van Buren. Mainly because it was affecting the quality of the writing I was doing for Van Buren and I wanted it to be perfect, (my docs are riddled with errors I gave the team the most finished/well written one for use) and I can't achieve the level of perfection required. So I've gone into a more qa testing/feedback role, and also working with the composer to reach the creative vision.

Best of luck to the team though! I'm looking forward to playing this game!

We already said our goodbyes but we'll stay in touch so you can join the QA team one day! Best of luck with Trillek!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom