Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Developers' rooms in cRPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tell me, Codexers: what developers' rooms in cRPGs do you remember and find memorable?

There is for instance the "Electronic Arts Funmap" in Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic that is supposed to represent the actual layout of the developers' offices.

[​IMG]

In there, you even get attacked by "EA Roudies", which is kinda... appropriate.

[​IMG]

In Chuck Bueche's Autoduel, you can visit the Manchester office of Origin Systems; I can't find any screenshots of that, though.
    Then there's the New World Computing office dungeon in Might and Magic VI. (As well as in VII and VIII.)

[​IMG]

For better or for worse, the NPCs don't attack you there. In fact, you can't interact with them at all. There is, however, some equipment you can find around the place.

[​IMG]

"I'm the game designer! I drew you!"
    Next I feel like mentioning the designer's room in Pokemon Red & Blue. (Yeah, it's a console title, but whatever.) And in Pokemon Black & White, like in Sentinel Worlds, you can even fight a game developer.

Any other interesting, or maybe obscure, examples?

^ Top  
  2. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    there's a bonus dungeon in divine divinity that has the devs office.

The ending screen of qfg 1 had the devs as part of the audience (you could "look" at them too).

^ Top  
  3. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Dungeon Siege 2 had a secret level with all the devs.

^ Top  
  4. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    If I remember correctly, Sacred 2 had a VERY tedious questline that ended with you finding the developer's office, filled with NPC's representing each actual developer.

^ Top  
  5. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The tedious questline actually involved you hunting all the developers all over the map, and each time you found one he/she headed to the offices, where you could then go and find them.

Quake 2 had a developer room, IIRC right below the final boss fight.

MM7-8 also had NWC offices like 6 did.

^ Top  
  6. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    Ultima II was basically one huge developer room.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. deus101 Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!

deus101
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]

Does this count?

^ Top  
  8. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    as a cRPG? No.

:P

In ONP (UT SP mod, derp at times, with worst voiceacting ever, but technically brilliant and imaginative) you have the best credit sequence ever.

In Morrowind there is head of the Scourge and M'Aiq who isn't retarded yet.

In Divinity 2 there is LibLarian. :salute:

^ Top  
  9. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    after I did the blind guardian quest I basically said fuck it to all optional sacred 2 quests from then on

everything from the concert cutscene down to the item rewards were horrible

and I say this as a fan of blind guardian

^ Top  
  10. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Did you seriously name your characters in that first game after SMT2 ones?

^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I did, but not seriously.

Elaborate, please, 'cause I never played Ultima II. Was it, like, one huge Lord British's castle with all the Origin Systems employees inside?

^ Top  
  12. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    MMXI probably means the fact that U2 is basically a canon fanfic, where Garriot includes everything that even remotely sounded cool in his mind at the time.

@thread: This is the first one that comes to mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics below.

http://lparchive.org/Chrono-Trigger-(by-Coughing-Hobo)/Update%2059/

Garffix whore :rpgcodex:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  13. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Awesome. :lol:

^ Top  
  14. asper Arcane

asper
    Project: Eternity
    in the old Ultima-clone VAMPYR you would get to heaven when you died, only to find the two game designers are God..

^ Top  
  15. spectre Arcane

spectre
    In Titan Quest you also had a "Secret Passage" thingy with boss monsters with developer nicknames.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  16. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    I've only just found out that in M&M6's developers dungeon you can encounter Trip Hawkins, and guess what, he starts attacking you! So it's not only in Sentinel Worlds that the EA are so totally evil. :P

Heaven as the devs' office? Good one.
    :thumbsup:

:oops:

Also, yeah, Chrono Trigger. Then there's Final Fantasy IV and its DS remake: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Developer's_Office

^ Top  
  17. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    There was a developers' office secret location made for 7.62, but in the end it wasn't included in the game, along with 2 other easter egg locations. It too represented actual layout (which wasn't much, 2 rooms and a corridor).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Ah, FF2 / 4 and the dirty magazine in the bookshelf. I remember thinking that maybe I could take it if the developer guy didn't see me, like it was a puzzle or something. I think back then I didn't really understand the concept of easter eggs :lol:

:lol:

what

^ Top  
  19. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    In TES better part of the pantheon is comprised of devs' personal characters.

^ Top  
  20. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Somebody shoot me already.

No, he meant the whole game is full of computer personalities from the era. The entire thing is basically one big 1982 joke. Neptune had a town called Computer Camp where most of them hang out and LB made fun of them one way or the other (the one I always remember is Robert Woodhead shouting COPY PROTECT! COPY PROTECT!)

^ Top  
  21. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I refuse.
    :rpgcodex:

:bro:

^ Top  
  22. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

MMXI
    Yes, this. Andrew Greenberg is in it too. Owen K. Garriott (Richard's father) is in it somewhere asking you if you've seen his shuttle. Richard Garriott (as himself and not Lord British) is somewhere in it, saying "tomorrow for sure", indicating that the release date kept getting pushed back. Two people, Margot Tommervik and Al Tommervik are somewhere in the game and, according to the Ultima wiki, they were founders of an Apple II software magazine. Chuck Bueche is obviously Chuckles. There are also lots of other people who have names matching people in the credits. There's a Debra in there somewhere and a Howie who asks you if Ultima II is finished yet. Keith Zabalaoui was listed in the credits as a programmer and appears in the game telling you that he's "never done this before", indicating it's his first computer game.

It's all rather retarded really.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    When you beat SaGa Frontier with all the characters, you get to go to a special room after the ending, filled with the developers and some neat stuff, like a bunch of the bosses available to fight, including some that never made it into the game.

http://lparchive.org/SaGa-Frontier/2nddiv.html

It's actually a rather massive amount of stuff, considering some of the crap they never finished in the game proper...

^ Top  
  24. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Actually, one or two of them DO attack you. Also, one or two of the NPC are many times more tougher than the others, so you may decide to "interact" with the dev team by slaughtering everyone, and suddenly finding that some of them are tougher than your entire party.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.