Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Devil May Cry series

A horse of course

I'm bored waiting for Revelations 2 to go on sale and I heard DMC2 was pretty easy, so I tried it out on pcsx2. No emulation bugs so far, even the blurring! It's pretty demanding though, noticing a lot of frame rate drops at 4x native + 4x MSAA. Some screens:

Pmt3ZtS.png
4yUHX91.png
gCSHVWg.png
87SXbtJ.png
mLBIR00.png

Since I already have DMC3 Special Edition on steam, I could try that out next. I heard it's fucking hard though. I guess I could just die and restart in Easy Automatic Mode :incline: agentorange you need to install the fan patch to make it work properly, right?

DMC4 I played on the 360 a few years ago. Some people (Vergilfags) probably care about the Special Edition that's coming out soon.

DmC reboot has been sitting in my library for ages. I suppose could install lulz mods to dull the EDGE of Ninja Theory's writing.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The only good DMC games are DMC1 (not that newfag shit) and DMC3. All the rest can fuck off.

Ed123: has nobody not told you to stay away from DMC2? Prepare for really shitty & dull level design. It has one or two acceptable levels though.

A horse of course

The only good DMC games are DMC1 (not that newfag shit) and DMC3. All the rest can fuck off.

Ed123: has nobody not told you to stay away from DMC2? Prepare for really shitty & dull level design. It has one or two acceptable levels though.

I hated Bayonetta and DMC1, whilst DMC4 was passable on the easiest difficulty setting :smug:. I'm just killing time tbh.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"hated DMC1"

For what reasons? I'm assuming you have given an opinion piece some time in the past on the 'dex?

My reasons for enjoying it are good level design, decent combat (later improved in sequels, definitely 3 anyway), good atmosphere, decent but not outstanding soundtrack and a decent challenge. What's not to enjoy?

It's arguably the best in the series because the level design in all the sequels is inferior, and the amosphere not so deep. the only notable improvements of the sequels/3 was the combat & styles mainly.

Last edited:

A horse of course

"hated DMC1"

For what reasons? I'm assuming you have given an opinion piece some time in the past on the 'dex?

No, this was the first time I'd played it (for my Resident Evil retrospective) since messing around with the demo at a PS2 booth as a kid. I just don't like those sorts of games, hate the controls and repetition. Too demanding for me :popamole:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Repetition"

wat

Between the varied quality level design, puzzles, platforming, combat, secret areas & engaging challenge there really isn't much to consider repetition. It should be considered a classic.

Fair enough if it is too demanding for you but it defintely isn't a repetitive game. If you played DMC4 first however I can see how you'd find it repetitive, because that game was repetitive and shit.

A horse of course

My reasons for enjoying it are good level design, decent combat (later improved in sequels, definitely 3 anyway), good atmosphere, decent but not outstanding soundtrack and a decent challenge. What's not to enjoy?

I liked some of the level design and semi-exploration in DMC1. And I like the completely, 100% earnest and unironic writing in the pre-reboot series.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Heh, the trashy cutscenes. I miss old hardcore-ish Japanese action games that just didn't give a fuck. Thankfully we got Dark Souls though.

such decline these days :negative:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Worse for your slow mind to process? :P

They are very similar games really, just Dark Souls trades speed and combat depth for depth of RPG systems, and is probably a bit harder (primarily as it throws you into the game without choice of difficulty modes). Oh, and less platforming and aerial combat too.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

Ha. Shame he doesn't place more pride in his IP (or concepts, rather).
They must have been whining about the newfag DMC, judging by Twitter's existence. Fucking hell though, that is very understandable. Much decline, although I've seen worse decline of course.

A horse of course

Worse for your slow mind to process? :P

The speed isn't the problem in DS, I just hate replaying large swathes of content with no variation. At least Roguelikes have a level of depth and diversity teased out after each death (theoretically).

I found DMC1 extremely frustrating at times (final Nightmare and Mundus bosses) but it's not the kind of game I'd drop before finishing.

You're playing DMC2 on an emulator? Hie to GameFAGs or elsewhere and download a fully-cleared save so you can play through all the missions as Trish (because I don't foresee you, or anyone sane, playing through the game four times to unlock her). She plays better than Lucia and ten times better than DMC2 Dante (all of his mojo must have been shunted towards his incarnation in Nocturne).

DMC2 would probably have been a lot better received had she been the main character or if Dante played as she did.

DMC3 is a hard game, but Easy Auto really won't solve a lot of difficulty issues because the game still frontloads some of the most complex boss fights early on. The first boss, Cerberus in Mission 3, is arguably the most complicated fight in the game, tasking the player with managing lock-on against five targets, cycling through them as the fight demands, all the while reacting to a large moveset. The boss in Mission 4 is enormous and has an arena that spans multiple camera angles and requires a slightly unorthodox strategy. Mission 5's end fight is basically where FromSoft cribbed Ornstein & Smough from. It's only at Mission 7 that the player has a simple, manageable, one-on-one boss encounter that'll probably leave most newbies bewildered as to why he wasn't the first boss.

As is, the game is pretty manageable on Normal/Hard for most anyone, assuming you aren't playing for ranks and don't mind taking damage or using items. PC-Master race means you can use a trainer or hex-edit to avoidgrinding Red Orbs on Mission 1 or Mission 2 if you don't wanna just be popamole and not gitgud or whatever meme is popular.

I'd also avoid the style-switcher mod on your first playthrough. Not only is it still pretty buggy, but it's one of those mods better saved for a replay, if at all, like JA2 1.13 or Baldur's Gate's Sword Coast Stratagems. It introduces a lot of complexity that will only complicate matters and throws the game balance all out of whack.

Edit: And, yeah, Mundus is a goddamn cunt. I love DMC1 and think it or DMC4 are arguably the best in the series (and in contention for best in subgenre), but Mission 22 pretty much kills my desire to play the game.

Fucking Kamiya and his insistence on awful SHMUP sections in all his games.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Ed123 said:
"I just hate replaying large swathes of content with no variation."

Eh, if I remember correctly as long as you don't lose all your yellow orbs/lives you don't have to replay much at all. Of course, easier said than done, but I don't mind replaying content as long as the game is reasonable in that respect and it is an engaging/interesting/enjoyable game in general.

It introduces a lot of complexity that will only complicate matters and throws the game balance all out of whack..

It looks good, complexity is good (if meaningful of course) and it looks like it improves game balance more than anything.
But hey, I haven't played it...

Last edited:

A horse of course

I like Dante's bitching waistcoat in DMC2, presumably courtesy of Crapcom's alliance with Diesel Clothing Company :lol: (I seem to remember them talking about something similar during/after RE6)

I'm more interested in the mod for the visual fixes.

"I just hate replaying large swathes of content with no variation."

Eh, if I remember correctly as long as you don't lose all your yellow orbs/lives you don't have to replay much at all. Of course, easier said than done, but I don't mind replaying content as long as the game is reasonable in that respect and it is an engaging/interesting/enjoyable game in general.

I meant Dark Souls, not DMC. I abstained from abusing savestates for DMC1 except in the aforementioned boss fights.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I abstained from abusing savestates for DMC1 except in the aforementioned boss fights.

Well, at least you must understand the design reasons for restrictive save systems in that case.
I dislike that emulators even have save state options, except for 8/16-bit games as those could just be sadistic sometimes.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The idea that DMC3's really difficult only really sprang from the original American release, where the Japanese Hard was used as the Western Normal. The special edition rebalanced it and as such it's much more manageable. I was able to complete it on normal (and I don't consider myself particularly good at Kamiya-like games) and while it's not easy, it's perfectly doable even if you're a newcomer to the series.

spekkio

Arcane
Ed123 said:
I'm bored waiting for Revelations 2 to go on sale.
Are you some kind of a neo-con or a gaming journalist? Just torrent the game, play and pay later.
You act like these fags who won't fuck a girl untill she's married to them.

:decline:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Would brofist if I could.

Loved DMC1, somehow never could get into it's sequels.

A horse of course

I enjoyed DMC2 a fair bit. It's a good gnome for casuals like moi. Honestly I don't bemoan the loss of the mansion/castle because it's not the kind of game I stop and appreciate the environments (unlike a proper Survival Horror), so the rather barren sweeping city and luxury penthouse areas worked better with the game's pace imo.

The penultimate boss and that triple-headed cunt got on my nerves though. THE FUCKING FACES SNEER AT YOU WHEN THEY HIT YOU WITH THEIR BREATH ATTACK FUCK YOU FUCKJDAJHADFNLKDAFNKMNKMLDAFLADFKHJLFAHJLFAHJLD

A horse of course

Anyway here's sum footage of DMC4 SE if anywun cares (no fucking way am I replaying it)

Machocruz

Arcane
I have to agree with CyberP. DMC1 is the overall best package in the series. It's another example of why developers who get something good going shouldn't listen to most fans. Most fans only saw the 'stylish action' and so Capcom doubled down on that. DMC1, having its roots in Resident Evil development, feels different. Atmosphere, music (techno-gothic instead of the buttrock of the later games), pacing, platforming, puzzles, all added up to create something that was more like an action-adventure game with a hero who just happened to be superpowered. They tried to bring some of this back with DMC3, but it just wasn't the same. This is why I was stoked for Bloodborne in the previews, as it evoked the first DMC with its faster-than-Souls-but-not-insane combat, cloaked hero, gothic trappings. When DMC1 came out, it felt more like someone finally got Castlevania-in-3D right than OTT-twitch-action-bonanza, and it was instantly as iconic. Too bad about those shooter segments though.

Another thing that DMC1 did is that every new enemy felt like a big deal when it's introduced. Shadow (the morphing cat enemy) is still one of the most memorable, most intimidating enemies in the series.

Atchodas

Augur
I played DMC 3 : SE on ps2 like 10 years ago it was and still is a great game , also there are some insane difficulty modes, if you are in to that you are looking for a treat , DMD difficulty is fuckin crazy obviously old ps2 controller would be the best for that game lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom