Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Devil May Cry series

Machocruz

Arcane

Loved DMC1, somehow never could get into it's sequels.

The music is cool. It was never like this again. Instead we got a numbnuts growling into the mic. Kamiya is the only one who fully understood his own creation.

Chamezero

The first game music is the best, but that game has many instances of horrible design choices and laziness, like reusing Phantom and Griffon for the boss fights, that goddawful underwater part and the final boss shmup phase that was so:retarded: it hurt. Still, great atmosphere and many challenging battles overall.

A horse of course

Been bumbling through DMC3: SE on steam with the style switcher mod that fixes the graphics and gamepad (mandatory imo unless you're playing the ps2 version on an emulator). Seems like a mix of 1 and 2 with lots of backtracking, recognizable gothic interiors and some puzzles, but with the boss variety and sense of grandeur from 2. Difficulty-wise I assume I'm on normal - there was a "Yellow" and "Gold" option when I started the game. After dying I got an offer for "Easy" which I haven't taken yet, as the game seems a bit fairer than than DMC1. I'd say there's more of an emphasis on picking the right strategy versus perfect twitch skills (which are still important). I enjoyed some of the boss fights, such as the proto-Ornstein/Smough battle, though I would've preferred DMC2's division of boss fights into their own levels, saving me the trouble of restarting when I died. I understand that it makes Yellow Orbs a valuable resource, but honestly why even bother using such mechanics in a hack-and-slash game? Seems like a pointless holdover from the Resident Evil era imo. But whatever, there are plenty of secret missions and opportunities to grind for improved weapons and items.

Took some shots of where I'm up to now (about level 13 I think?). They're only 1080p with no AA so not quite as pleasant to view as my DMC2 stuff (which are rendered at just short of 2k with 4x MSAA). I'm especially anal about jaggies though.

KwSRvKh.png
7ISBWcc.png
rt7Ynd9.png
fR3Ymvm.png
cd06Ccx.png
ttNVlys.png
I3MeSxX.png
Yi7SOGj.png
LcCT61K.png

A horse of course

Finished. Difficulty spiked like absolute crazy towards the end. Fuck the backtracking, fuck the block jumping section, fuck the boss rush with the retarded colour inversion, fuck Mr. Blobby and fuck Kaptain Kaffeine Katana.

Guess what's up next?

g4Hpdze.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Finished. Difficulty spiked like absolute crazy towards the end. Fuck the backtracking, fuck the block jumping section, fuck the boss rush with the retarded colour inversion, fuck Mr. Blobby and fuck Kaptain Kaffeine Katana.

Guess what's up next?

g4Hpdze.jpg
FUCK YOU

A horse of course

I'm not doing DMC4, by the way. I finished that years ago on the 360. I remember enjoying it for a while (especially the Ice Demon, Angel and Belial fights) but it was hellishly repetitive. When the game switched to Dante and it became clear I'd be replaying every single level up to that point, I raged hard.

A horse of course

On a technical level, the graphics in DmC: Devil May Cry look phenomenal in motion. Art direction is another matter (I think it would work well enough as a standalone title)

aDo0nL0.png
0CwnjNi.png
6WVPGNv.png

Been bumbling through DMC3: SE on steam with the style switcher mod that fixes the graphics and gamepad (mandatory imo unless you're playing the ps2 version on an emulator). Seems like a mix of 1 and 2 with lots of backtracking, recognizable gothic interiors and some puzzles, but with the boss variety and sense of grandeur from 2. Difficulty-wise I assume I'm on normal - there was a "Yellow" and "Gold" option when I started the game. After dying I got an offer for "Easy" which I haven't taken yet, as the game seems a bit fairer than than DMC1. I'd say there's more of an emphasis on picking the right strategy versus perfect twitch skills (which are still important). I enjoyed some of the boss fights, such as the proto-Ornstein/Smough battle, though I would've preferred DMC2's division of boss fights into their own levels, saving me the trouble of restarting when I died. I understand that it makes Yellow Orbs a valuable resource, but honestly why even bother using such mechanics in a hack-and-slash game? Seems like a pointless holdover from the Resident Evil era imo. But whatever, there are plenty of secret missions and opportunities to grind for improved weapons and items.

"Yellow" vs. "Gold" is what (poorly explained) checkpoint system you use. "Yellow" is the original harder one, where Yellow Orbs let you use checkpoints and otherwise you restart levels. "Gold" lets you restart at checkpoints by default and Gold Orbs revive you in-place.

A horse of course

"Yellow" vs. "Gold" is what (poorly explained) checkpoint system you use. "Yellow" is the original harder one, where Yellow Orbs let you use checkpoints and otherwise you restart levels. "Gold" lets you restart at checkpoints by default and Gold Orbs revive you in-place.

fug

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm very tempted to play this I heard good things bout the game but didn't know Dolphin had become so solid.

Edit: Oh wtf this was on PS2? I've had PCSX2 forever. Sigh.

A horse of course

Finished DmC. As someone who doesn't particularly like games like DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden, I can't say I miss the HARDKKKORE mechanics of the previous installments. Controls felt fluid (apart from some wonky mouse/keyboard interference when moving the camera whilst running), evading enemy attacks was generally easy enough and there was a fair bit of leeway when trying to cancel animations to dodge or jump. Graphically it was pretty impressive, but moving from ps2 to an end-of-life Xbox 360 title probably coloured my judgement.

The universe, atmosphere, tone and characterization are another matter. I don't need to be a fan to see how this game attracted such vituperance. For those who haven't touched it, DmC has very little in common with the old games beyond the basic story beats. Everything about the writing in the game is aggressively smug - lacking in the affectionate self-awareness of the old titles and clearly very pleased with its own faux-subversiveness. I won't bother going into detail, just assume it was written by a guy who works at Starbucks to cover the debt he accrued majoring in Postcolonial Voices in Contemporary Philosophy, then the script was lost and then rediscovered by an emo teen with ADHD.

Mangoose I loved Spartan but it's fucking frustrating in parts. It's basically old-school Ryse with more action and stuff going on around you. Also guaranteed to make classicalhistoryfags supremely butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom