Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dex - a 2D Cyberpunk Sidescrolling RPG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fallout and Fallout 2 are cRPG's, for starters....

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So Battletech, Battle Brothers, Templar Battleforce and Five Nights at Freddy (just listing what's on page one of GRPGD right now) are RPGs but this isn't?

Can't be because they're turn-based, because we got plenty of Real Time (With Pause) RPGs in the Codex top 70.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just move it to jrpg with all the other good shit. We keep this forum around for Oblivion and Diablo 3.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dex is basically a 2D version of DX:HR. It might have platforming but it's not emphasized to the extent anyone would call it a platformer. Metroidvania? IMO It has too much focus on story and too fleshed out world and characters to be merely one of those. I'd say it qualifies as an RPG with real time combat.

EDIT: IT NOT AN ACTION PLATFORMER GOD DAMMIT!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
it's a crossover between flashback/another world and beat'em up rpgs like river city ransom or the dnd arcade games, so still 90s rpgs, just not the ones you normally think of.

Why does Jaesun hate suicidebunny?

nK1zInk.png

:negative:

Sykar

Arcane
Dex is basically a 2D version of DX:HR. It might have platforming but it's not emphasized to the extent anyone would call it a platformer. Metroidvania? IMO It has too much focus on story and too fleshed out world and characters to be merely one of those. I'd say it qualifies as an RPG with real time combat.

EDIT: IT NOT AN ACTION PLATFORMER GOD DAMMIT!

It is a hybrid game with elements of RPG and platformer imho.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is a hybrid game with elements of RPG and platformer imho.

To my experience the game's beginning is rather misleading since you don't have any abilities or quests yet and therefore can merely run around, hit people and jump. Once you get to the city the game turns into something very similar to DX:HR with emphasis on story, questing, exploration, hacking computers, picking locks and gathering equipment, cyber augments and experience. The only reason it might be called platformer is that it's a 2D game where you can jump from a platform to another - but that's what you also do in most first person RPGs like Morrowind and Deus Ex.

Title said:
Dex, a 2D Cyberpunk Sidescrolling RPG

Now the title is much better, thank you.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I played the early access edition and it was pretty decent except for the part where it crashed to desktop. If they fixed that (and improved combat a little) it should be good for what it is.

It's on my to-play list once I have time to dig into the ungifted bazaar games pile

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Apparently their Steam score of 75% was too low. Of course, Armikrog is on the GOG front page with a Steam score of 54%...

This game could use more attention. I don't think the Codex posted a news item when it was released; maybe it can get one with the bug free "enhanced edition", Infinitron Crooked Bee? Templar Battleforce needs one too.

Okay, I'll post about it just for you, almondblight :3

(No idea what Templar Battleforce is though)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Checking out reviews is good if you don't want to play every piece of shovelware someone submits.

Too bad their system is "3 out of 4 reviews being positive is too low unless a Big Name is attached," but that's the potato way.

almondblight

Arcane
Okay, I'll post about it just for you, almondblight :3

(No idea what Templar Battleforce is though)

You're the best, Bee.

As for Templar Battleforce, it's a SciFi tactical RPG. I've only played a few hours, but it seems like there's a good amount of customization, depending on what classes, stats, skills, and items you build your characters with when they level (and where you spend the requisition points, which unlocks more skills/items/classes). Here's a video:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That Templar Battleforce looks really cool. I only watched a little of the character building, is it turn based?

almondblight

Arcane
That Templar Battleforce looks really cool. I only watched a little of the character building, is it turn based?

Yep, it's turn based. It's been pretty fun so far, and seems to be decently challenging on the higher levels. The developers have also been pretty open to feedback (there have been 5 patches in the past 2-3 weeks, and they've been busy implementing a lot of requested features).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck. Now I feel bad for not doing the newspost the first time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom