Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 2 1.10 Patch is finally out!

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo 2

<a href=http://www.blizzard.com>Blizzard</a> have (at long last) <a href=http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mdt0763p>patched Diablo 2!</a> Fans have been waiting for this patch, heralded as the most significant D2 patch ever, for some time now since the game was previously horribly broken. Here's the only really important part of the fix list:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Increased difficulty for high-level players to reduce future exploitation of the game system.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
It's about fucking time! Too bad I sold my copy ages ago...
<br>
<br>
Thanks to RPGCodex forum-goer <b>chrisbeddoes</b> for the heads up!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Spazmo said:
It's about fucking time! Too bad I sold my copy ages ago...

Yeah.... I think it's been three years ago for me. It was fun for awhile, but there's only so much mouse mashing I can do. I played through the expansion pack on my friend's computer when it came out and that was that. Didn't even try out the new classes. Well, maybe the assassin for all of one chapter. It was a great game, just not really my style. Color me insane, but I liked the first one better anyway. Especially with the Hellfire expansion. :)

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
liked the first one (man, loved that guitar),
didn't like d2(original),
got the expansion this year(free with rebate)
loved it...

Voss

Erudite
Its been so long, I don't know if I can muster any enthusiasm.
The closest I can come is that it'll be something to do while I wait for the ToEE patch.

On the one hand, its great that they still support the game and its fans, on the other hand, is it really worth it from a profit standpoint to expend resources on a 2 year old game? It has been 2 years right? My sense of time isn't what it used to be...

Jarinor

Liturgist
Last I heard they weren't using too many resources to get this patch out - something like one guy for most of it, although there was probably a second at some point. I think it's been closer to 3 years since it came out, and it probably took them a year to get this patch out.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
It's been almost four years, actually. I was playing it in 2000 on a P233mmx 32 meg ram system and fried both of the 16 meg ram chips. :P I remember that clearly. Hehe.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
I think financially it's still worth it. D2 has consistently been on the sales charts since its release (and that includes sections of this year too). As for the number of people, I would hope it's more than one guy....but then again, the amount of time it has taken has been staggering. The beta for the patch was out in early July....

Also makes me wonder what the hell everyone else still at blizzard is doing? That Ghost game for the console? world of warcraft? Yeah, that's probably it...

Psilon

Erudite
Blizzard isn't really doing much with Starcraft: Ghost except counting the money. Nihilistic's doing all the coding on that one.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Blizzard is a pretty big company, even with the recent exodus, wouldn't surprise me if they have another team working on an unannounced project (StarCraft 2, Diablo 3?).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They did say that the Starcraft fans would not have to wait long for SC2 after Ghost is released. I don't think they would consider doing Diablo 3 any time soon though.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
They did say that the Starcraft fans would not have to wait long for SC2 after Ghost is released. I don't think they would consider doing Diablo 3 any time soon though.

True, as long as Diablo 2 is a top-seller, I'd be surprised if they announced a sequel since that might make prospective buyers wait for the sequel.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I also think that they've done everything they could think of in D2+Exp+1.10 Patch. It would be very interesting to see what Flagship could come up with though.

Voss

Erudite
eh. Doesn't the whole worldstone thing at the end of the expansion give them the opportunity to reinvent the world? Though with all 3 of the big bads dead, there may not be much point of doing it again...
Maybe the should come up with something new.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't think they're dead, they just can't get back to the mortal realm. The soulstones bound them to the world so they could be free to rum rampant. They could find another way, but that could get silly. :D

Even then, you could always do the lesser demon thing. Lesser demons with really good ideas can be just as bad as the greater demon one at a time.

Voss

Erudite
I'd like to see more lesser evils and personal stories than 'world is going to end, again' epics anyway.

Besides, if the great evils get their asses kicked again, they won't even be able to frighten paranoid children.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
mmmm, rum rampant. I vaguely remember those days...

it'll be very interesting to see what they produce now with the departures they've faced and their ownership. I personally think blizzards long string of successes is just about over...

Voss

Erudite
The picture for the patch of the blizzard home page is amusingly cute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom