Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Morgoth, May 9, 2020.

1. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    No one said Blizz are geniuses, if anything D2 is an easy game(And thats not a problem at all). The "hard" part is your character planning that will decide everything what you do in game.
    You want me to go upboat the guy bitching that he got his ass handed by Duriel and he plans to quit it due to the frustration when there is in game tools non related to build that will boost his effective mitigation against Duriel in order to surpass the encounter?

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Why not? Strong bring people up, not put them down.

It would be a better proof of your points than arguing about thawing potions here, at least.

^ Top  
  3. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    Strong people don't give up(and don't post on Reddit), I would respect the guy if he said first timer here got my ass handed by Duriel, what the fuck I do? Instead of writing cheap drama.
    Its tiresome, instead of people go ok I got an issue here lets try solve it, its straight to crying and how the issue managed to ruin his day.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Wait, is porting out now seen as "degenerate"? Everyone did it back when the game was released...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    They did. But do you think that's how fights with bosses supposed to go, or does it really add anything to the game?

Limited amount of porting like in PoE could be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    No, it's a bit like potion chugging, but people do it anyway.

I'm not against limited porting btw, just find it curious that porting is now considered degenerate.

^ Top  
  7. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    I don't speak for D2 community or anything lol.

I just think that repeatedly porting and refilling doesn't look like realistic or interesting gameplay/boss fight that's all. And doesn't make u hardKore player or shows skill or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Are we really talking about realism in a Diablo game now?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    hurrr realism hurr muh fantasy

Yes we do, because on what else new player can fall back to, instead of reading guides or posting on reddit? It is either hints and lore presented in the game, or common sense, which is based on reality - realism (or call it consistency, whatever you prefer).

If frost resistance and thawing potions affected slow effect from freezing aura, it would be better than if they didn't, for example. And if boss didn't wait for u infinitely while you stock up 5 times with potions... many players would probably get into a lot of trouble. But hey, it's because bosses might not be that ideally designed as we might think?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    I think D2 comes from a time before these types of games were overdesigned and balance was an afterthought, not an obsession. Although it always felt kind of silly to port out and refill while bosses just chill out waiting for your return, I don't remember people throwing fits over it back then and the developers never saw the need to change it.

In hindsight, it's poorly designed (like many other aspects of the game), but even kids back then intuitively knew how to play along with the system they were presented with. I think it would be wrong for a remaster like this to fiddle with fundamental aspects of the game, even clunky ones that make no sense in retrospect like this one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    If I remember right, there is a silly bug in Act 4 where pictures of quests in quest book are misplaced. Devs never fixed it ever. So to say that something is intended design or not cause if it wasn't they'd change it, I am not sure about it.

And yeah, that's a silly position remasters are at. People throw fits on any idiotic change as if it's the end of the world, because they care about some little nostalgia part, and often not about how game even plays. It is a, how to put it, the Mythical Game that matters. And at the same time we know that developers can just fuck things up.

Which is why - stop all this remasters, make new cool games.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not TPing out to buy more potions requires metagaming and knowing what builds and abilities to use or bugging him in a corner. I agree that giving up on the game because of him is not the ideal thing to do, but eh. It's much less ideal, however, to try to "shame" people for TPing out, lol.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Takamori Learned

Takamori
    Regarding old designs and people throwing shit fits.
    Just make a legacy version where people can play their ultra pure edition and then have a version where you can address the old design issues. Be a playground for the devs and community to address it, but I don't believe current Blizzard would allocate resources for such thing.

^ Top  
  14. Saravan Savant

Saravan
    Exactly. Furthermore, ARPG:s and especially an ancient one like D2 are meant for chill gaming. I never get these tryhard attempts at trying to analyze the logic behind any of the stuff being presented. As to a remaster, you can have two reasonable positions. Refuse to pay a premium for a graphical update because you don't like the cosmetic changes or don't want to support a developer like nu-Blizzard or find it's enough to justify a nostalgia trip. There is nothing really more to it than that.

You gloat on a daily basis in your circle-jerk group in the Pathfinder thread so you are the last person to try grand-standing this idiotic take concerning "strong players".

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Perhaps you would find Reddit suitable for your tastes then.
    That was what you could call "gloating". :shitposting:
    The codex was specifically created to autistically figure how games work, m8.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JamesDixon Arcane Patron

JamesDixon
    In the Adventure Master's Lair on Malignost
    Strap Yourselves In
    From what I've seen of the remaster they removed the things that made the women look like women. Now we've got all these dudes running around and have zero sex appeal if you're a hetero guy. I'll take the original over this bland shit.

^ Top  
  17. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    There's still Andariel.

^ Top  
  18. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    I could never understand how people would become rabid in a game like Path of Exile where it's 95% PvE and you have goons going about how so-and-so build needs to be nerfed. There's something deeply disturbing about the mental state one must reach to play a game by themselves, look on over at someone else's screen that's playing that game by themselves, see that they're doing better in terms of clearing out a map than you, and cry for nerfs to them. It's pure evil, they should be executed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    It's how the game was designed. If the devs didn't want you to do it, they would have patched it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    You buy a game and you can play it any fucking way you want to. You want solid godmode cheats and shit... fuck if i care; do it! I'm not some fucktard who slaps his balls in people's faces saying I played xyz hardcore. Most people don't fucking care. And ball slapping is fucking queer. Numbnutz retards do that shit.

Pvp and online is different but I still don't fucking care. I only give a damn if there is actual money in the table, otherwise pissing contests just stink.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kruno Arcane Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Kruno
    Trying to gamble SOJs lol

^ Top  
  22. Mr. Magniloquent Arcane Patron

Mr. Magniloquent
    My dad and I used to play. I remember he really like the summon tree on the Necromancer. I remember watching him the first time he got to Duriel. Duriel absolutely wrecked him. It took him awhile to figure out that encounter with his build. Same for Diablo in Hell. Not sure he ever got past Diablo. As soon as that red lightning came out, it was curtains for his skeletons.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mr. Magniloquent Arcane Patron

Mr. Magniloquent
    My favorite is at 6:32. I've been on both sides of that fence in D1. Absolute sadism.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    First time I went on D1 on Battle.net I entered some random game and was greeted by a Sorcerer who walked up and dropped Demonspike Coat.

Except it was a helmet.

It was at this time I began to suspect online D1 had some foul play at work here.

Edit: My favorite part had to be the Warrior using the self-repair skill and making the weapon durability shittier and shittier. It's one of those things you know if you know.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Not only this, but...

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.