Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

catfood

AGAIN
You know what this means. Install Diablo 2 while you can, get the latest stable patch and then save the installation somewhere safe because Blizztard will ruin this game forever just like they did with Reforgery.

Saravan

Savant
will they remake just them grafics?

Idk. This is what they did for Crash

"Of course the visuals have received a huge upgrade"

I detest this mindset. Those low-poly PS1 style graphics are absolutely evergreen. Those jaunty triangles and warping textures just drip with personality. You only have to look at the Spyro and Medevil remasters, to see how the soul has been removed from them by "improving" their distinctive styles.

The elusive soul-argument. Only select few are able to find the soul of the game within those low poly triangles.

Codex Year of the Donut
will they remake just them grafics?

Idk. This is what they did for Crash

"Of course the visuals have received a huge upgrade"

I detest this mindset. Those low-poly PS1 style graphics are absolutely evergreen. Those jaunty triangles and warping textures just drip with personality. You only have to look at the Spyro and Medevil remasters, to see how the soul has been removed from them by "improving" their distinctive styles.

Maybe it's because I never have played the games, but the new Spyro remakes(?) looked good to me when I saw the trailer.

Takamori

Learned
I enjoyed D2 a lot during my school years, but I dont trust blizzard to do a proper remaster. And not even using Reforged as the base of the argument, shit went down the drain for way too long, now its just obvious for even your regular blizzdrone.

Citizen

Feel free to enjoy your dumbed down roguelike that spawned one of the worst genres

A dumbed down roguelike that spawned one of the most fun PC genres to casually play with a bunch of friends and have a good time for a few weekends. Just challenging enough to keep everyone excited, and just casual enough to jump right in and start having fun without wasting time on getting gud

Dramart

Learned
Diablo 1 was good.
Mostly for its atmosphere, which 2 ruined.

Will someone explain what about this genre is actually so good? It's a left click simulator/skinner box combination.
The atmosphere in Diablo II was great, but I haven't played Diablo I so I can't compare, though I watched videos and it looks the same. I don't know about the genre but Diablo II was fun, and also was Sacred. But, Torchlight and Titan Quest were boring, especially Torchlight. I guess it's not about the genre, it's about what game you like. But if you dislike Diablo II you're a cuck and a fatherfucker.

Citizen

Torchlight and Titan Quest were boring, especially Torchlight.

Agree about Torchlight, Torchlight 2 was fun tho. And so was TQ. People just don't realise that this genre isn't supposed to be played alone, grab yourself a 2-3 man party and go smash some monsters.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Dramart

Learned
Torchlight and Titan Quest were boring, especially Torchlight.

Agree about Torchlight, Torchlight 2 was fun tho. And so was TQ. People just don't realise that this genre isn't supposed to be played alone, grab yourself a 2-3 man party and go smash some monsters.
Well yeah, but they can be fun in single player too. And, I don't know, Torchlight 2 looks pretty much the same than the first one. In Titan Quest, I didn't like the skills, some felt unnecesary, and other were shit or shallow, the setting was good, though.

I wonder how they'll go about the representation of armor in the game? In 2 your armor in the inventory screen is represented by a generic armor icon, with your character getting their own specific look in the sprites. I wonder if now they drop the generic armor icons for the inventory screen, and the set looks of the sprites when you've got it equipped for how 3 does it.

It's be cool if the game was taking after the Keith Parkinson art, if it happens anyways.

diablo_product_001-1000x645.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Diablo 1 was good.
Mostly for its atmosphere, which 2 ruined.

Will someone explain what about this genre is actually so good? It's a left click simulator/skinner box combination.
The atmosphere in Diablo II was great, but I haven't played Diablo I so I can't compare, though I watched videos and it looks the same. I don't know about the genre but Diablo II was fun, and also was Sacred. But, Torchlight and Titan Quest were boring, especially Torchlight. I guess it's not about the genre, it's about what game you like. But if you dislike Diablo II you're a cuck and a fatherfucker.

Diablo 1 was darker in tone. Diablo 2 was less horror, more classic fantasy.

Takamori

Learned
Diablo 1 indeed felt like a slow descent into madness(Hell), even the sound design was a indicative. I was a 7 year old lad at the time I still remember the baby crying in the background.
But saying that D2 was less horror, when you got the massacre in the palace of Lut Gholeim, the body parts in Act 3 and well Act 4 hell etc etc, its really forcing the argument there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dude, i didn't say that Diablo 2 was Baldur's Gate levels of cheerful fantasy, only that it is not as dark as Diablo 1, which it isn't.

Yeah, Diablo 2 is like a fun globe-trotting adventure while Diablo is a slow descent into hell in some shit hole town. Diablo is kind of like The Evil Dead, where Diablo 2 is more like Army of Darkness; respectively the two games even have stuff in their cutscenes from those movies.

Iron Balls McGinty

D2 was pretty good, it lacked the atmosphere of D1, but very few games have captured what D1 managed.

After D3, they can feck off, not getting my jewros.

Takamori

Learned
Dude, i didn't say that Diablo 2 was Baldur's Gate levels of cheerful fantasy, only that it is not as dark as Diablo 1, which it isn't.
Sorry understood otherwise due to the context of the conversation, it started with other poster saying that D2 atmosphere is pure shit, but indeed I agree with your points and Assisted Living Godzilla, D2 is more of a stroll around the world trying to solve D1 protagonist fuckery after he got mad descending into hell.

D2 was pretty good, it lacked the atmosphere of D1, but very few games have captured what D1 managed.

After D3, they can feck off, not getting my jewros.
Hey dude don't you love the capeshit artstyle in your Diablo?!! Jesus just thinking about the existance of D3 makes me seethe.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Most Blizzard leadership left the company, and those that are left are cucks for the chinese, a bunch of cowards that are only after money and a ton of new dipshits like the morons responsible to turn one of the most successful franchises in the world into a bad anime. This company is dead, this remake is just something to provide a good reason for me to laugh about them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, whoever said D2 had a shit atmosphere is of course retarded. It has a great atmosphere, and shares some traits with Diablo 1, for instance, the awesome semi-realistic style of the armors and weapons, which were swag as fuck in both games. Fuck that WoW shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom