Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Multiplayer was a new thing back then and Blizzard were among the pioneers of online gaming.
wot
Diablo released in 1997, not 1987. MUDs had been out for years, proto-MMORPGs like The Realm Online and Meridian 59 were already out.

Lmao if you want to go that way you might as well mention the online games from the late 70s on the Plato mainframe platform.

Nobody said Blizzard invented online gaming. I said they rode the coattail when that shit was bursting in the mainstream and pioneered some of the early trends. Battle.net 1.0 was a watershed in that regard and Starcraft and Diablo 2 put Blizzard on the line as being among the kings of online gaming.

My argument is that this didn't happen by chance, and that they were already moving towards that direction with Warcraft 2 and Diablo 1, or at the very least those were their earlier attempts to cut into the online market.

I mean, i supposed you could argue that multiplayer in those games was an after thought and that the accidental popularity of both games over the internet (don't let the smaller numbers fool you the online scene of those games was very dedicated even if a bit obscure to a lot of people who still weren't used to the idea of playing games over the internet) might have been the catalyst that pushed them into making multiplayer a major aspect of their games.

This contradicts my argument and yet one fact remains: that playing Diablo 1 in single player is pointless after a single playthrough. All the longevity of that game owns entirely on its online feature which would explain why the minority that played it online was so vocal about it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of hack and slashers are pointless after a single playthrough, though. The difference is the difficulties in D1 are locked behind the multiplayer (which is bizarre). Can't you unlock them with mods?

bandersnatch

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All characters are ugly as fuck now. Especially females (of course). And amazon is now a straight up tranny.

:dead:

Yes, we are the woke corporate game industry and we are here to educate you on proper thought. Your old views of attractiveness were outdated and we are here to set you straight. Don't worry though, keep playing our games and you soon won't even notice that short sword between her legs.

Sykar

Arcane
But you know what is even worse? Female blacksmiths actually existed:
https://workingtheflame.com/female-blacksmiths-in-history/
While the examples discussed above illustrate the existence of women in blacksmithing, it does not mean it was a common occurrence. Dorothy A. Mays, author of Women in Early America: Struggle, Survival, and Freedom in a New World, reminds us that “although it is true that there were extraordinary cases of female blacksmiths, newspaper editors, and other skilled professionals, such women were anomalies.”
Yeah, from "anomalies" to "seen in every second town"

Nice moving the goal posts, dumbfuck. "A woman could never do blacksmithing work!". Also nice that you forgot to mention that it was the current Zeigeist of the people and not some universal truth like you dimwit want to peddle.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nice moving the goal posts, dumbfuck. "A woman could never do blacksmithing work!". Also nice that you forgot to mention that it was the current Zeigeist of the people and not some universal truth like you dimwit want to peddle.
You have to understand what they mean by "women could never do blacksmithing work". It's not that they physically can't, or weren't allowed to, it has to do with metaphysical archetypes (Lyric Suite's reasoning) or natural essences (janjetina). They think there are fundamentally masculine roles that can not be fulfilled by women, and if they are done by women then it's a perversion, leads to nowhere good, and it heralds the downfall of civilization. It constitutes an inversion of proper virtue.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Well, I should have worded my original argument better: of course female blacksmiths existed, but as your link points out they were quite rare; historically, blacksmith is the men's work, just like miner or longshoreman. These games, in turn, shows us female blacksmiths as a common occurrence which is done in the name of pointless diversity, same as with the insertion of niggers in medieval times. It's very jarring if nothing else.

Also, it doesn't have much to do with the Zeitgeist of those time. You should try to do some blacksmithing yourself, see how well will you go. It's not an easy work and not every man could do it.

You don't have to shitrate every argument given to you; it gives no weight to your own arguments. It's a very infantile behavior

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I know what you specifically mean, but you are wrong as evidenced by women blacksmiths in history.
Despite his butthurt, Sykah provided rather informative source. It cites, besides other things, an example that women were found smithing chain links; the sole comment below tells about women smithing nails in London. This actually makes sense. In blacksmithing, smaller the object the easier and less physically demanding it to forge; I forged both nails and chains on cold (mind you that cold forging is more physically demanding that heated one).

Now consider that typical broadsword or bastard sword is much bigger than nail or chain link and requires more physical strength. I'm talking simple physiology here, not some cultural mumbo-jumbo

Lacrymas

Arcane
We have to be able to differentiate between physical inability and cultural inability, though. I have no idea if women are able to forge weapons or armor, but that article states that thousands of women work as blacksmiths in the USA today, so I don't see why they wouldn't have done that in the middle ages too if they weren't prevented from doing so. If you provide me with sources which state women don't have the strength required to do that, I'm as receptive as always. I'm kind of skeptical, though, the required strength for "men's work" is usually overstated.

Zlaja

Arcane
Average woman can't open a fucking jar of pickles.

Worth noting is that not all jars of pickles/whatever were created equal. While I can open most of them just fine, you sometimes stumble upon a jar of epic trolling +2 which simply refuses to budge no matter how long I try, and I end up being forced to use a knife and stick it under the lid and twist to loosen the thing.

You people have no understanding of history. Pregnancy contraceptives have been as consequential for humanity as the wheel. Women have breasts for a reason. You don't perform work that requires high strength, fortitude, and mobile when you're pregnant.
We have to be able to differentiate between physical inability and cultural inability, though. I have no idea if women are able to forge weapons or armor, but that article states that thousands of women work as blacksmiths in the USA today, so I don't see why they wouldn't have done that in the middle ages too if they weren't prevented from doing so. If you provide me with sources which state women don't have the strength required to do that, I'm as receptive as always. I'm kind of skeptical, though, the required strength for "men's work" is usually overstated.

Among my other education, I have a degree in welding. I have taken several courses in smithing. Not just academics mind you. I can swing hammer, have worked in a shop, and was certified in several methods at one time. Some women can do it today, but in an era before power tools and gas furnaces...not so much. Try forging a hammer or other tool grade metals without a power hammer. That's not a lady's work. That's a two man job. In the olden days, add an apprentice to keep the furnace going properly. Women are rare in iron working industries, of which actual smiths of any sex are extremely more rare. I have known precisely 2, and know of one more. Most women today working metal create art. Very thin material, often times soft metals like copper. Power tools abound. Arc welding was also not possible 100+ years ago, which highly simplifies joinery. The statistic that there are thousands of female smiths in the USA is a very dubious claim. Even with an adult population in the several hundred million. They're probably counting women who have soldered a necklace or stained glass art together.

Beyond that, there is the historical reality that almost nobody seems to recognize. BIRTH CONTROL. Beyond strength difference, women working outside of the home prior to mechanization was highly complicated by the fact that when people used to fuck, one of them got pregnant. You're not doing hard manual labor preggo nor while you've got small children to contend with.

You're not doing hard manual labor preggo
You do. Women worked in the fields until almost birth time. Are were returning back to work short after birth. Harvest won't wait.

Swinging a scythe or picking fruit does not involve much strength. Endurance, yes. Strength, no. It's not the same kind of strain as laying railroads, mining, logging, commercial fishing, carpentry, or even smiting. Especially before power tools and mechanization. Also, again refer to child birth. When women did return to work, it was in the home. Understand that people didn't have schools to babysit educate their kids either. It wasn't until heavy mechanization of factories and the resulting labor force changes that allowed women to start working outside of the home.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There were two female smiths, Charsi and Fara. Compared to modern wokeness that's nothing. No one even noticed it back in the day.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Average woman can't open a fucking jar of pickles.

Worth noting is that not all jars of pickles/whatever were created equal. While I can open most of them just fine, you sometimes stumble upon a jar of epic trolling +2 which simply refuses to budge no matter how long I try, and I end up being forced to use a knife and stick it under the lid and twist to loosen the thing.

JC, dude - you're going to injure yourself. Run the jar under hot water = the heat will expand the metal enough to loosen the lid.

jackofshadows

Magister
Run the jar under hot water = the heat will expand the metal enough to loosen the lid.
I've no idea why he needed a stick - knife is enough to pull the lid just a bit in order to equalize air pressure between the jar and the outside. Hot water helps too but that's kinda gay.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There were two female smiths, Charsi and Fara. Compared to modern wokeness that's nothing. No one even noticed it back in the day.

The point is that woke demoralization will continue to gain ground wherever it is tolerated. Every subsequent iteration is more brazen and more poisonous.

I know mate but Id rather talk about the game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some dude did a remodel of Sorc and Pala based on original characters and it looks awesome

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom