Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo II's graphic is teh best...

Paperclip

Liturgist
for a 2D isometric game. Do you agree?

This is somewhat funny for me because I remembered that when I first got it, I thought the game was butt ugly, just compare it to Baldur's Gate (dumb). Actually it's the default shitty resolution that makes the game looks shit, try using MultiRes if you haven't (no b-net).

BTW I can't recall any 2D iso game that incorporates parallax effect (objects with "different height" "move" in relation to each other when you shift your view, i.e. when your char is moving) like DII. Is there any besides DII?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Use a Glide wrapper with it and witness how every RPG or games with isometric perspective should've looked from that point onwards.

CrimHead

Scholar
entertainer said:
PST has the best graphics ever.

Fixed that for you.

With Ghostdog's widescreen mod, the game is even more visually impressive. Sigil becomes a moving canvas. Just thinking about it...

OH GOD ITS HEVAN

All the infinity engine games have excellent graphics, but PST is definitely the epitome of that style.

Oh, and while Diablo 2 is unarguably beautiful (especially in widescreen), the art and style of the world is too quotidian to register with my refined sense of aesthetics :smug:

Planescape Torment's visuals are high art.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Guys..., IE uses pictures as backgrounds..., that's the reason why they are beautiful but also static, plus you can't create a seamless world like that.

DII chars have the biggest amount of layers in a game that I know of, that's why your chars can have so many different appearances. Wait..., maybe Nox has even more, and I love that game's graphic too, not mentioning that you can interact with the world more.

Paperclip

Liturgist
entertainer said:
Fuck you.

Andyman Messiah said:
entertainer said:
Fuck you.

There are some possibilities to that for example necro is my favorite char not only because he looks cool but also because he's so versatile, he can even do melee thanks to his curses (utility spells).

So naturally I was instantly attracted to the witch doctor (also looks cool) when he was first announced, but after studying his set of spells, it seems that they are boring and don't promote unique builds. While I'd love to be wrong, I wish they would change some of his recent spells and made them to be more interesting.

Martin

Educated
Diablo 2 wins for using a tasteful dark color palette and having a good art direction. PST was good too although some of the art assets could be better. Damn I hate bright colors and "my little poney" inspired rpg game art.

Still could benefit from an already coded in 1024x768 resolution, or maybe 1280x1024 and whatever adjusted high rezs for widescreen worked best.

Yep some dev house nowadays should try to make a 2d or 3d 2.5d engine with multiple zoom levels ( even if only 2) and a very subtle automaticially adjusting perspective camera, with a minimum or default high resolution that makes everything look as crisp as possible.

If such a game had turn based combat and good varied animations for combat you could have an automatic zoom in perspective camera to focus in on the character's animations and rotate when appropriate ( a good one), and to zoom back out automatically or at will to plot the actions and consider things tactically.
Better than games like NWN2 with their plethora of (crap) camera options and ability to fully zoom that require constant player adjustments or force the player to mostly stick with one camre that is inadequate.

Yep

And....

For fuck's sake what I am writing about??

MRSA

Scholar
Arcanum's graffix are better.

Isn't it 2D? NO? I'm losing it at last?
(They told me this would happen...)

Seriously though, Arcanum has great graphics, if it's not 2D pray enlighten me.

Better than Diablo? I think so...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanum's graphics were pretty average. IE games looked better, and so did Diablo 2.

MRSA

Scholar
Xor said:
Arcanum's graphics were pretty average. IE games looked better, and so did Diablo 2.

IE games MAY look better, but Diablo 2???

Well, de gustibus etc...

Diablo's art direction on the other hand... The first one...

Fez

Erudite
I can remember seeing it being used in the demo scene before and while clever at the time it did indeed look like ass.

CrimHead

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
CrimHead said:
entertainer said:
PST has the best graphics ever.

Fixed that for you.

Quick, name one bad thing about PST

anything will do

I guess if I wanted to be really critical, and I'm just harping on technicalities here, but I'd say there would've needed to be more steamy makeout sessions between TNO and Annah to raise the game to "best crpg of all time" status. And I don't think MCA was suggestive enough with the "tail squeezing TNO's leg" scene. Should've sodomized him with it.

CrimHead said:
God that gets me hard.

2.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom