Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

10 millions installls for a free game on both pc and phones isn't even that much.

Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million at launch according to press releases and around 20 million over the first couple years. That's at retail price, and all sold direct without a retailer, so with much higher profit margins than you would normally make. Diablo Immortal has to pay the Apple/Android tax on its revenues on mobile, but obviously doesn't on PC.

I'm surprised they don't have a "pay on PC, +25% more value!" option for microtransactions.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't usually trust bald people because even their hair couldn't trust them so it left their head but in this rare case the kiwi is right.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
You know I might actually actually be in favor of the game if it turned out to be that 95% of the whales were chinks. Is the game even popular over there though? I know Koreans devour Blizzard games like mad but I have no idea about China.
Koreans pretend SC2 and D3 don't exist

Sykar

Arcane
It is just grinding in some way.
Wallets, yes.

Skipped a lot of the vid. 10 years or 110k? Fuck this POS.

He clarifies that the 100k was a top end estimate, not a 100% certainty.
Still Immoral is shockingly and deceptively morally bankrupt, far more than I expected. It bugs me that he gives it so much praise though. It is a bog standard hack&slash that does nothing new compared to the ocean of the same type of clone with no real innovation apart from the predatory monetization which is probably the worst I have seen so far for mobile games and that is saying something.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wallets, yes.

Still Immoral is shockingly and deceptively morally bankrupt, far more than I expected. It bugs me that he gives it so much praise though. It is a bog standard hack&slash that does nothing new compared to the ocean of the same type of clone with no real innovation apart from the predatory monetization which is probably the worst I have seen so far for mobile games and that is saying something.

Just watched the vid. Man, it is a grind either way. Super predatory monetization but, you could ignore it and free casual the game maybe with some pals. These types of games usually have a scoreboard so I wonder who's top whale and does it show how much they spent?

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Apparently there are hidden caps on certain activities
  • After six legendary drops a day, your drop rate severely decreases for future drops.
  • After a group bonus for six normal gems a day, your drop rate severely decreases.
  • Side quests stop giving rewards after five per day.
  • Purple bosses stop giving rewards after five per day
  • Random map events stop giving rewards after five per day.
  • Zoltan Kule treasure rooms are limited to five per day.
  • Hidden Lair dungeons stop giving gem rewards after just a few completed sections.
Wallets, yes.

Very good video. The fact that Blizzard practically bypassed lootbox legislations by having you buy a "Crest" which than you need to take into a dungeon and than you get the reward is something I expected companies would do once these laws became stricter.
He also made an extra video with another shitty practice he discovered later.

Basically the game tries to obfuscate as much as possible the fact that there are actually 3 types of these crests. The ones that you usually get from the battle pass and all the daily logins rewards, boon of plenty etc. drop bound loot you can't trade on the auction house. The only way to get the third type of Crest and dropping legendary gems that you can actually sell is by buying them with real money.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Having played free games I know exactly what Josh is talking about on dailies, weeklies, etc etc. you spend a fuckload of time in mini-games, and ads and shit. I was wondering if random ads didn't appear in IMMORTAL? The game i played was for titty angels but it was pretty meh. A quick hentai search yielded better results.

Gameplay in DI looks like it might be ok for a time waster. I would only use this game to add to mob lore for pnp conversion like i did with D1 & D2. I didn't try D3 but pondered converting shit.

Again, for me.. SHIT NET so no matter what this is a NO GO even as a casual.

I think a team of newbs who agreed NO to purchases or wasting time in menus and solid killing mobs would be intriguing. Sucks no free trading but its a damn ptw game so go figure.

Like sports... I'll look at hilights and leader board.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Wallets, yes.

Yeah the whole, "but there's actually a good game buried here" is dumb as fuck. It's somehow a worse version of Diablo 3.

Cael

Arcane
I learnt long ago to never play MMOs that have any form of real life payment in it. Funny how people still get sucked in my this nonsense.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sometimes indepenent devs add it to help with server costs. EUO has stuff you can buy but the core game doesn't require it. I've maxed out a 550 on reg server and about 6 level 1ks on the player death server and a few on the no-grind server. There are a few cosmetics and QOL items you can buy that has happened over time. Like most mmos it is a game of grinding mobs, skills, and stats. There is little in story towards an endgame. It does NOT shove microtransactions down your throat.

The oddest pay online game I've played was this text arena game that was like a mud. I couldn't believe how much whales spent on the game that is nothing more than a spreadsheet of words.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So many videos. Diablo Immortal is the new industrial complex for video game "content creators". And as usual, such videos are a circlejerk, almost entirely viewed by people who already share the popular view of the author.
To all my fellow Diablo Immortal dislikers ITT, how many videos did you consooooom telling you that yes, you are correct for disliking this game?

Sykar

Arcane
So many videos. Diablo Immortal is the new industrial complex for video game "content creators". And as usual, such videos are a circlejerk, almost entirely viewed by people who already share the popular view of the author.
To all my fellow Diablo Immortal dislikers ITT, how many videos did you consooooom telling you that yes, you are correct for disliking this game?
You think I needed a video to tell me that the game was predatory shite?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
We all knew this would happen since D3. Mobile is always predatory.

I'd honestly try it but fuck my net speed. Only pc. Fuck playing games on phone. Tried it and it sucks.

jackofshadows

Magister
Such an amusing discussion. Almost if codexers have never seen a mobile game before :D Truly wonderous place, the Codex.

Looks fine for a mobile game by the way, as far as I'm concerned.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
You think I needed a video to tell me that the game was predatory shite?
I am noting this thread is mostly people exchanging such videos, as if to reinforce the belief. I don't need reinforcing myself, especially not in the form of an hour long video from a Blizzard donor.

Sykar

Arcane
If you are referring to the Josh video, I fail to see how he is a Blizzard donor. He did give a detailed look how depraved the predatory monetization is, far more insidious than I and many other people expected. They literally tried to mask the lootboxes by tying them directly into the gameplay. At this point I think the rest of the EU should follow the Belgian model of outlawing this despicable practice in general.

I like how no one on reddit points out the obvious: it doesn't matter what it is or what it does, all chinese companies are legally obligated to implement whatever spyware the chinese government wants whenever it wants, so nothing out of china can be trusted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom