Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Tehdagah

Arcane
And it still became extremely successful. So much for "Blizzard doesn't understand their target audience" articles and videos

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
And it still became extremely successful. So much for "Blizzard doesn't understand their target audience" articles and videos

Let me guess that McDonald's is the best restaurant in the world due to their sales.... Quantity doesn't equal quality. Besides, the bulk of the money comes from a minority of players willing to shell out 10's of thousands of dollars does not mean it's successful for everyone.

Hellion

Arcane
Information on how that money was spent in-game would be interesting. E.g. if the majority is 5-dollar season pass purchases or 200-dollar legendary gem bundles.

ADL

Prophet
Asmongold is a fucking moron.

I don't particularly like the guy but he seems to get why lootboxes are particularly egregious and fucked up and Ted Cruz seems familiar enough with it so if they're what it takes to get the conversation rolling in the United States then so be it. Ted Cruz said he'll come at the issue from a libertarian standpoint but as we've seen on the subject of social media and dealing with these billion dollar tech companies, they're pretty quick to throw away those ideals when you start talking about weird closed source algorithms.

I watched a couple more videos of his and I'm sure I'll be recommended more until the end of time but this is exactly the dude I want discussing this issue with senators. It's great.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Saying
this is exactly the dude I want discussing this issue with senators. It's great.
means there really is no hope for talking about this with you. But... I watched the original video link to completion as you did.

- Diablo Immortal is rated M which is what the original video title is discussing.
- He said gaming companies are hiring psychologists for the loot boxes. Which gaming companies?
- He said gaming companies are trying to sell loot boxes to people under 18. Who's credit card are they using to buy loot boxes?

He then fell back from banning loot boxes altogether, to banning loot boxes to anyone under 18, to "get a foot in the door" to banning loot boxes entirely.

Regardless, it should be entertaining to watch if it does gain more traction. Just like when he co interviewed Yoshida which was hilariously bad. I always get suckered in to watching a video or two of his every year or so. Each time I am reminded that even though he at times covers topics that are important, he will inevitably reveal himself to be an incompentent moron that should stick to WoW transmog competitions.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
One thing for certain is whatever happens, it will be at the cost of privacy and individual autonomy

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Only people who cried "Blizzard doesn't understand their target audience" were butthurt fanboys who got served a portion of reality.

And that reality was that Blizzard is dead and that the new Blizzard cares more about money then their fans.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Late Bloomer

Scholar
just closed the game and played something else.
He deleted his character and uninstalled the game actually.

Performance art is so cringe.

The people fighting against loot boxes are the ones spending the most money. They need help on an individual level.

One thing for certain is whatever happens, it will be at the cost of privacy and individual autonomy

:philosoraptor:

Now when has this happened before...

Myobi

Liturgist
just closed the game and played something else.
He deleted his character and uninstalled the game actually.

Dear fucking lord...

Blizzard profited big time.

Shitty streamer profited.

The fucking autistic viewer cunts: "Whoho! He sure fucking showed them! My god, thank fucking lord for this guy to prove what everyone already knew!".

Fucking hell, no wonder projects like Star Citizen supposedly break a new crowdfunded money record every year, just burn the money, at least it keeps you warm that way.

Myobi

Liturgist
Codex Year of the Donut

what a fucking retard
"how do you not understand that?"
it's a bunch of jargon

If I was to convey this to a US politician, I'd write it out in easy to understand terms. I wouldn't use the term "lootbox", I'd say something like "gambling with real life money for virtual goods in a video game, often targeted and advertised towards children"

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

At Blizzard HQ:

Dk2Kc4.gif

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Tbh if I was in charge of Blizzard, I would certainly have done the same... Think about all the yachts and luxurious mansions you can earn upon milking retards.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I heard a lot of Asmongold's teeth rotted out before he hit 30 because he neglected them that much.

Dexter

Arcane
Microtransactions generated 24 million USD in two weeks.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-immortal/microtransactions-revenue
Review bombing is pointless because they come from people who don't play the game. This will probably be the most successful Diablo game ever. Funny how a few years ago a lot of people thought Blizzard was crazy for making a mobile game lol
Is $24 million supposed to be a lot for a game during its Launch month? Especially given that a lot of that probably comes from whales that spend tens of thousands? For perspective, Diablo 3 sold like 3.5 million copies in the first 24 hours and went on to sell 12 million copies in its release year as a PC-only game: https://www.diablofans.com/news/47580-diablo-iii-has-sold-over-12-million-copies-diablo bringing in over $700 million. By 2015 it sold over 30 million copies raking in probably well over a billion $'s: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/46876/diablo-3-sold-over-30-million-copies-platforms/index.html

Now I find that highly undeserving given the quality of the game and problems of its release, but is it really worth damaging a billion $ brand/franchise, turning it and the company into a laughing stock and dragging it into a wider conversation about gambling for a few dozen millions, or is that extremely short-term thinking which Nu-Blizzard is known for nowadays, as opposed to Old-Blizzard that canned games that were in production for half a decade because they didn't meet their "quality standards"?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom