Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo Immortal - MMO ARPG for mobile platforms - massive butthurt at Blizzcon

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Doesn't say that it's banned, just delayed. From the FT article:
Diablo Immortal, an online multiplayer action game developed by NetEase and Activision Blizzard, had been scheduled to launch in China on June 23. But on Sunday, Diablo Immortal said the release date would be pushed back to “optimise the gaming experience”.
The only mention of a ban that I could find was in relation to their social media posting:
Diablo Immortal was banned from publishing new posts on Weibo and discussions related to the bear comment were erased from the platform by the country’s hyper-vigilant censors.

Codex Year of the Donut
lmao at the original post, people actually thought that mass reporting it was the reason it was banned
further proof that regulations do nothing

Olinser

Savant
Game is banned in China over Pooh comment
200.gif

heh

https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagamin...players_massreported_diablo_immortal/id15c35/

NetEase shares fall after nationalist backlash in China over Winnie the Pooh post
https://www.ft.com/content/5195a280-aa51-4cb4-a16c-7197b385e715

We need some kind of KARMIC JUSTICE emote reaction.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So after watching a portion of Asmo's video on this Whale I looked up a Lassal run. And it was his channel.

They're just standing there using skills or attack like a fucking wow mmo.

Now, it has been a bit since I played D1-2 but i recall kiting, cat & mouse, and moving a lot instead of just standing and attacking. Sure there might havd been some of that but this is like watching an auto play afk mobile game.

So, we're going to be dealing with mobs that have millions, billions, and probably well above quadrillions of hp and shit.... oh huzzah.

How fast does this "game" scale from low numbers (if any) to hundreds and thosands?

tritosine2k

Erudite
So after watching a portion of Asmo's video on this Whale I looked up a Lassal run. And it was his channel.

They're just standing there using skills or attack like a fucking wow mmo. (...)

...overall trend in ARPG "endgame" is sloppy-ness tolerant "afk" stuff. Contrasted by HC in PoE. See "discharge build" - s for some peak-***. Hopefully wont stay for anpther league.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

This is fucking laughable. He's saying a PTW player is better than a freebie guy or those with skill who don't buy shit. Talks how a top tier free to play guy will get crushed by the payers and laughs about it.

Ok. The game doesn't look like it takes much skill at all tbh.

Do these people ever leave their rooms or do they eat, sleep, shit in front of their media/gaming room?

Everytime i look at those bony arms on Asmogold I think he might rip a tendon if he kermit the frog flails his arms too much. This dude... he sounds similar to those conjob asshole commercials trying to sell you shit in their pyramid scams. His resume of games seems to be almost exclusively Blizzard; almost.

Last edited:

They're just standing there using skills or attack like a fucking wow mmo.

Now, it has been a bit since I played D1-2 but i recall kiting, cat & mouse, and moving a lot instead of just standing and attacking. Sure there might havd been some of that but this is like watching an auto play afk mobile game.

So, we're going to be dealing with mobs that have millions, billions, and probably well above quadrillions of hp and shit.... oh huzzah.

How fast does this "game" scale from low numbers (if any) to hundreds and thosands?

Dayum this is the fun you can have if 8 people get together to spend a collective 2 million dollars on lootboxes?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Jesus, fun for blizz I guess.
I couldn't even get to the bottom of his videos

https://m.youtube.com/c/Jtisallbusiness/videos

How much did he collectively spend in clash of clans and other pay to win mobiles?

What the fuck does this dude do to be crapping out cash like there's no end?

The worse thing about free to play games is they really suck when you play by your own rules with a mega self made handicap.

What do i mean?

Naturally NEVER PAY REAL $$$
Dropping all gear from the get go.
NEVER using ingame currency.
Never doing bonus mini game bs.
Fighting no gear.

I do this from time to time in every game. Sometimes, i hc myself even if the game doesn't have it. It is delete saves or reset game if you die.

Generally, these games have no Hard core permadeath either. Would this schlub play HC permadeath?

Myobi

Liturgist
Those dude's profit from throwing cash at shit like this, it's like those YouTubers that channels consist on breaking expensive shit, in the end they still make a fuck ton of cash because the amount of money they make from dumbass viewers.

Those dude's profit from throwing cash at shit like this, it's like those YouTubers that channels consist on breaking expensive shit, in the end they still make a fuck ton of cash because the amount of money they make from dumbass viewers.
That guy is not that popular at all. No way he's making a profit if he spent over $100k

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Are we gambling for fucking Dragon Ballz? Hmmm... yeah. Real original China.. erm Blizzard! (Blizzard of the Far East)

Myobi

Liturgist
That guy is not that popular at all. No way he's making a profit if he spent over $100k
That one dude is getting 10k-100k views per shitty YT video, plus twitch donations.

I have no clue nor do I rly care how much the mofo is throwing at it, but if he is indeed throwing more than is getting, then his a retard.

somerandomdude

Learned
200.gif

heh

https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagamin...players_massreported_diablo_immortal/id15c35/

NetEase shares fall after nationalist backlash in China over Winnie the Pooh post
+1 for the PRC. What did they expect would happen? This was stupid, it's already been established numerous times that the Chinese aren't gonna tolerate this sorta thing, yet as a company, they prefer to put their assets at risk over a stupid position that's not going to change anything. It's not brave, it's just fucking stupid. Who're they hoping to win brownie points with, the anti-China woke crowd? As if they're a bigger chunk of the market than China is? They can't be that fucking dumb, can they?

Last edited:
That one dude is getting 10k-100k views per shitty YT video, plus twitch donations.

I have no clue nor do I rly care how much the mofo is throwing at it, but if he is indeed throwing more than is getting, then his a retard.
Probably an idiot who believes you need to spend big to make it big and sees it as a long term investment. Like everyone who invested in crypto. No way you get more than a fraction of a penny per youtube view and his twitch is pathetically small

UglyBastard

Arcane
200.gif

heh

+1 for the PRC. What did they expect would happen? This was stupid, it's already been established numerous times that the Chinese aren't gonna tolerate this sorta thing, yet as a company, they prefer to put their assets at risk over a stupid position that's not going to change anything. It's not brave, it's just fucking stupid. Who're they hoping to win brownie points with, the anti-China woke crowd? As if they're a bigger chunk of the market than China is? They can't be that fucking dumb, can they?
I don't think it's a "they" thing. Some employee with access to the twitter account fucked it up. I'm 100% sure that Pooh-posting is against Blizzard and NetEase company protocol.
Funny how a single employee can crash and burn the whole thing. I doubt that guy is having a good time right now, though.

somerandomdude

Learned
200.gif

heh

I don't think it's a "they" thing. Some employee with access to the twitter account fucked it up. I'm 100% sure that Pooh-posting is against Blizzard and NetEase company protocol.
Funny how a single employee can crash and burn the whole thing. I doubt that guy is having a good time right now, though.
That was a MASSIVE troll if it was done by a rogue employee, he's laughing his ass off, someone only sabotages a company when they're on the way out and there's bad blood over something. Couldn't happen to a better company, lol. I can respect that if that's actually what happened here.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
200.gif

heh

https://archive.ph/bMEN7

That takes care of the FT link being behind a paywall.
It's so hilarious I just have to further keep it alive. Fucking Xi Pooh?

NetEase shares fall after nationalist backlash in China over Winnie the Pooh post​

Cartoon bear is often used to criticise President Xi Jinping and has been blacklisted by censors
The logo of internet technology group NetEase
‘Diablo Immortal’, the blockbuster game developed by NetEase and Activision Blizzard, said its Asian release would be delayed © Aly Song/Reuters

Primrose Riordan and Gloria Li in Hong Kong
4 HOURS AGO
21Print this page
Receive free NetEase Inc updates
We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest NetEase Inc news every morning.
Accessibility helpSkip to content

Need help?Start chat
Close help popup

Shares in NetEase dropped on Monday morning after the Chinese gaming company fell foul of China’s censors over a social media post that was suspected of alluding to Winnie the Pooh, a popular way to derisively refer to President Xi Jinping.
The company said over the weekend that it would delay the Asian release of the blockbuster game Diablo Immortal, sending its Hong Kong-listed shares down 9 per cent in the morning to HK$137 before they slightly pared losses by midday.
Diablo Immortal, an online multiplayer action game developed by NetEase and Activision Blizzard, had been scheduled to launch in China on June 23. But on Sunday, Diablo Immortal said the release date would be pushed back to “optimise the gaming experience”.
The delay came as a screenshot circulated online of a post published by the game’s official account on Weibo, the popular Chinese microblogging site, dated May 22 that read: “Why hasn’t the bear stepped down.”
The remark was interpreted as a reference to China’s President Xi Jinping, who is often illustrated as Disney’s Winnie the Pooh. The cartoon bear has been blacklisted by censors in China for years.
Diablo Immortal was banned from publishing new posts on Weibo and discussions related to the bear comment were erased from the platform by the country’s hyper-vigilant censors.
Nationalists also took issue with the company’s press release on Saturday from the game’s creators announcing the postponement of the game’s release date in the Asia-Pacific region to “Taiwan-time 8 July”.
China has vowed to crush any attempt by Taiwan to pursue independence. “Between the game and my country, I choose the latter,” one Weibo user wrote.
NetEase declined to comment.
China’s broad crackdown on technology companies has hit the gaming industry particularly hard. Authorities paused approvals for new games in July last year over concerns that the country’s children were addicted to games that undermined Communist party values.
A month later, Chinese children were banned from playing video games for more than three hours a week under new rules that further damaged the share prices of companies including NetEase and Tencent and slowed their revenue growth. In August, state media described gaming as a form of “spiritual opium”.
But in April, the industry won a reprieve after Chinese regulators approved new online games for the first time in nine months.

Recommended​

Chinese politics & policy
China’s chaotic regulatory crackdown reflects splits among policymakers

Charlie Chai, who covers NetEase for 86Research, said the sector was still under significant pressure.
“Over the past two years, the market has seen two mega games — Diablo Immortal and Dungeon Fighter — facing delays, which reflects poorly on the gaming industry’s survival. It seems it is not getting a lot of support from the government,” Chai said.
Two weeks after its international release on June 2 in countries outside Asia, the mobile version of Diablo Immortal had amassed more than 8.5mn downloads and generated $24.3mn for the developers, according to data compiled by AppMagic.
Microsoft, the software giant that also owns Xbox, announced an agreement this year to acquire Activision Blizzard in a $68.7bn deal, the largest buyout in gaming industry history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom