Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Danikas

Arcane
https://imgur.com/QuDAx5I for example. Usually the lower level armor looks decent while most higher ones and sets are way over the top.
Blizzard and their retarted art design WE NEED MORE PAULDRONS.

482219-rusted-bonespike-pauldrons.jpg

apps.41902.69310949706325806.1deaa664-8367-4f09-9208-0cd85c99e290.5423b65e-a59d-452e-8548-ae7ebc946d13

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
https://imgur.com/QuDAx5I for example. Usually the lower level armor looks decent while most higher ones and sets are way over the top.
I think that's been the official Blizzard art style for a while now. I'll bet the D3 art director had to tell the artist to take the glowing orbs off the pauldrons before arriving at the linked pic. And since then, he probably gave in and just went full Warcraft. Have you seen the season reward armor sets?

W0ZDDCN5I3JE1528159137390.jpg

Every season, they look like that.

Aside from Chaos Warriors, Warhammer doesn't really suffer from pauldronitis.
Am I a bad person if I read "Warhammer" and only think of 40k?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
To no one in particular: Just wondering, if you were the art director, how would you tell the player visually "This armor is phat epic lewt!!!!11" without giant glowing pauldrons?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
To no one in particular: Just wondering, if you were the art director, how would you tell the player visually "This armor is phat epic lewt!!!!11" without giant glowing pauldrons?

You don't need to if your player base doesn't consist of morons

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Don't go full overboard with every armor piece you create, so that ordinary, or even bad looking armor becomes the standard. It's really that easy, tbh. Only the more powerful armor sets then are more detailed, look bigger, have nice ornaments, or whatever.

In case of Diablo 1, there was just the transition from leather -> chainmail -> plate. And it was really awesome. Simple, but awesome.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
The problem with Blizzard Irvine is that they are SO used to WoW that they can't do anything different. When some people criticized cooldowns, a dev awsnered that they don't wanna the ability to summon ancients to be "spammed" as if cooldowns are the unique way to limit the usage of powerful skills... They probably don't even know how to make a more Diablo style armor design.

That's really my problem with them. The art in Diablo 3 is really good BUT it doesn't look like Diablo, except in a few instances. I've learned to enjoy it for what it is but it's not Diablo.

There are indications that they are returning to a more realistic style, which makes me really happy but we'll see how it turns out.

Codex Year of the Donut
If it's enchanted, maybe it should have some glowing runes on it or some sort of persistent visual effect depending on what the enchantment is.

Gregz

Arcane
If it's enchanted, maybe it should have some glowing runes on it or some sort of persistent visual effect depending on what the enchantment is.

Tal_rasha's_set.JPG

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Diablo 2 had unique enchantments and sets can emit auras or transform you into a vampire. But look to gothic armor

iu

W0ZDDCN5I3JE1528159137390.jpg

Every season, they look like that.

Yep. To be fair, i an not against carnavalesque armor IN WOW. Diablo needs a diabloesque armor design, not a wowesque armor design.

abija

Prophet
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom