Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Only mid wits still complain about logout macro.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hey man, you got yourself a brand new title coming that will take you by the hand and ensure that you're never ever in a difficult situation by employing level scaling. No need to hate on PoE.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Now Diablo 4 [...] in terms of aesthetics and flow of combat etc., its fucking top notch.

Thats the only thing it has

those are the hardest things to nail down + among the most important (in terms of production standard for this type of game)

but I cant play a game where attributes are reduced to offence and defence, its even more dumbed down than D3

Sunri

Liturgist
Hey man, you got yourself a brand new title coming that will take you by the hand and ensure that you're never ever in a difficult situation by employing level scaling. No need to hate on PoE.
I'm not a hater, I played POE for a long time, I just don't feel the direction the game went not mentioning shitty performance, so I hope that the D4 will do good and motivate Wilson to do something about POE flaws.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The only thing D4 might motivate GGG to do is to rush PoE 2 for a 2023 launch. From the looks of it so far, D4 doesn't seem even remotely interested in competing with PoE in the long term. It's gonna be a D3 situation all over again.

ADL

Prophet
Level scaling is great for games like this as evidenced by games like Guild Wars and The Elder Scrolls Online. I don't want to spend my entire endgame experience doing 200,000 Baal runs. There's plenty of content in the game. Let me chill in the zones I enjoy and give me creative reasons to go back to ones I left 50+ hours ago. Not to mention vertical progression tends to invalidate its own endgame systems by raising levels for the sake of room temperature subhumans going "wow my number went up!".

It's so fucking stupid. Vertical progression is bad game design that doesn't respect your time or the developer's time themselves.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
and give me creative reasons to go back to ones I left 50+ hours ago.
Maybe GW1 did that, but do you in all earnest expect current year Blizzard to have the creativity necessary to do that?

Not to mention vertical progression tends to invalidate its own endgame systems by raising levels for the sake of room temperature subhumans going "wow my number went up!".

It's so fucking stupid. Vertical progression is bad game design that doesn't respect your time or the developer's time themselves.
That's literally the core principle of any ARPG. Both D3 and D:Immoral rely on this to the extreme. Why do you expect D4 or any ARPG ever to be different?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hey since you're a POE guy lemme ax you this question while I got ya here:

Why do you POEsers gotta come into every damn Diablo topic and feel this need to remind the world that POE exists? And I'm not talking about just Codex but everywhere. You can't mention Diablo before soon some cocksucka comes in to tell you about Path of Exile. You fuckers are like Jehovah's Witnesses or this dumb bitch that calls my phone every two days for duct cleaning. Let me tell you it from my perspective: I know POE exists, I've tried it multiple times, and each time it results in me concluding the game is boring and sucks and I'd rather play D2 because it's a cooler game.

Look at what you're getting zealous over: boss fights in a point and click looter lmao. Nigga, if I'm gonna want super engaging and mechanic heavy boss fights I'm not expecting it in this genre. All ya linked were some corny ass Dance Dance Revolution fights that nobody even cites or remembers or praises. A big ass demon with a meat cleaver going "AHH FRESH MEAT" from the mid 90s dabs all over every single POE boss in terms of memorability. Hold that L close to your chest.

abija

Prophet
Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You know what I think it is? I think it's that POEqueers have such insanely small dicks that they need to stand on their tippy toes whenever they're around D1/D2chads who naturally tower over them and find their Mickey Mouse firework show amusing for a few minutes before going back to killing Mephisto.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Let me see quality in PoE
Uber Atziri(starts after 5:40)

Uber Elder

Uber Searing Exarch

Bosses in these games, including Diablo bosses, are so boring that it would be better for the games if they were removed altogether in their current incarnations. The only ones that should remain are concise gimmick bosses that complement their areas' themes and die quickly. "Uber" bosses with extremely inflated stats are especially lame. What do you remember about bosses in D1, D2, Path of Exile, etc., that was interesting other than edgy one-liners? All of them are perfunctory additions that are only there because having bosses for each level was the norm.

SumDrunkGuy

Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

Sunri

Liturgist
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

That's because you are a console fag, it's obvious that you chose simpler game how is diablo immobail going?

SumDrunkGuy

That's because you are a console fag, it's obvious that you chose simpler game how is diablo immobail going?
No, it's because I despise PoE's skill tree. It's a convoluted fucking mess. It might be the worst skill tree in gaming history. No thought was put into any of it. They just clumped attributes and skills all together in one giant abomination so they could be like "LOOK HOW HUGE OUR SKILL TREE IS. BIGGEST EVER!"

Last edited by a moderator:

SumDrunkGuy

6368316624122360769234575.png

Looks like somebody vomited on the screen.

Sunri

Liturgist

No, it's because I despise PoE's skill tree. It's a convoluted fucking mess. It might be the worst skill tree in gaming history. No thought was put into any of it. They just clumped attributes and skills all together in one giant abomination so they could big like "LOOK HOW HUGE OUR SKILL TREE IS. BIGGEST EVER!"

Thats only first impression if you know
6368316624122360769234575.png

Looks like somebody vomited on the screen.
If you know what you are looking for, it's quite simple actually, but I guess it can scare new players away hm

SumDrunkGuy

If you know what you are looking for, it's quite simple actually, but I guess it can scare new players away hm
It didn't scare me at all. I understood perfectly how it worked and it's complete asshole cancer.

This is how it's done:

This is NOT how it's done:

The most common sense thing imaginable.

Sunri

Liturgist
It didn't scare me at all. I understood perfectly how it worked and it's complete asshole cancer.

This is how it's done:

Sorry but DII system is so basic it hurts you can delete energy stat because there is no reason to invest in it, then you cut off str or dex based on your build and wow what a meaningful progression lol

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

This is how it's done:

D2 attribute system is extremely pointless. Every build is minimum strength required for equipment, minimum dex for max block if you're going for that, then dump everything else into vitality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom