Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

SumDrunkGuy

D2 attribute system is extremely pointless. Every build is minimum strength required for equipment, minimum dex for max block if you're going for that, then dump everything else into vitality.
This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. We're talking about UI. Diablo 2 had a very basic intuitive UI. PoE's UI is a trainwreck to put it mildly. It's the opposite of intuitive and the people who sing it praises are fucked in the head. I want to slap each and every one of the retards who worship that turd.

Sunri

Liturgist
D2 attribute system is extremely pointless. Every build is minimum strength required for equipment, minimum dex for max block if you're going for that, then dump everything else into vitality.
This has nothing to do with what is being discussed. We're talking about UI. Diablo 2 had a very basic intuitive UI. PoE's UI is a trainwreck to put it mildly. It's the opposite of intuitive and the people who sing it praises are fucked in the head. I want to slap each and every one of the retards who worship that turd.
What's the point of good UI if there is nothing meaningful in it?

Generic-Giant-Spider

"H-hey... hey guys... remember me? POE? I'm... I'm here. Just letting you know, okay? I'm free to play, remember! Heh... just sitting here, looking at all these support gems... I wonder what left click attack you'll mix them with?"

Generic-Giant-Spider

Look. Look at this. The POEfags can't help themselves. What is wrong with these creatures.
Shut the fuck up, nigger. Go back to playing D2. This is a D4 thread and it will be compared to every competitor in the space until the end of time.

You don't have to watch the whole video but just watch the first minute and a half. This is what you're sucking the dick of. Look at it. Look at this fucking ugly monstrosity. What is wrong with you, boy?

Sunri

Liturgist
Look. Look at this. The POEfags can't help themselves. What is wrong with these creatures.
Shut the fuck up, nigger. Go back to playing D2. This is a D4 thread and it will be compared to every competitor in the space until the end of time.

You don't have to watch the whole video but just watch the first minute and a half. This is what you're sucking the dick of. Look at it. Look at this fucking ugly monstrosity. What is wrong with you, boy?

This is much better!

abija

Prophet

It's easy to have an intuitive UI for basic things. There are plenty of failures in PoE UI, but the tree is not one of them, quite the opposite. It's easy to navigate/find stuff/do required actions.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Dunno what that game is, Diablo 2 was the last one they made.
This is a D4 thread, fuck off. You're a nigger troll. Your knowledge is limited to what some click-bait channel shows you. Flicker strike isn't even a popular build.

Let's not pretend that both games "suffer" under the same "problem", that is the ultimate zoom zoom for the ultimate dopamin rush every few seconds (with Path of Exile still being the worst offender out there). Sadly, this seems to be a very popular thing nowadays, when you consider how highly-considered games like for example Vampire Survivors are, where you just press one button (or even none) and everything around you just dies, while you're getting bombarded with "Level Up!", "Item GETTO!", or other positive messages. I really felt like that this complete genre was lost to me when Path of Exile turned out to be the next Median XL instead of the next Diablo 1.

SumDrunkGuy

PoE...competitor...LOL

Like I said, even Diablo 3 is better. Hell I would rather play Titan Quest and that game puts me to sleep.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

I would take PoE over Diablo 3 tbh

I played PoE for years and the biggest issues for me were,
  • game is ugly
  • it has no style
  • it's not SP friendly
  • animation is stiff
  • enemy design is shit
Diablo 3 is dumbed down, geared towards online play and looks like WoW

Diablo 4 perhaps got the art direction right, but forwent everything else and is even more dumbed down than Diablo 3

Therefore the answer will always be Diablo 2. There aren't any competitors, there have never been any. Nor is there another uncontested king, other than it.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Rogue/action shouldn't have any skill trees. The gameplay is action and beating monsters, finding items. Leave such things to more party based and narrative driven games, since character building in them affects more than just one aspect of the game, and creating a strong party is more interesting than one character who ends up just clicking on things. You end up your game as just a used blanket for your overly complex "character system" which is about getting higher number and choosing between projectiles of different colors.
I liked books from Divine Divinity 1. Skills were hidden around the game so your character ability was based on exploring, collecting gold and buying them and looting places.

abija

Prophet
Diablo 2 is too simple to even be dumbed down. Pretty sure D3 is more complex atm, just ruined by the zoom zoom (cause higher ups have no balls) and the absolute retarded way they improved set bonuses.

SumDrunkGuy

Therefore the answer will always be Diablo 2. There aren't any competitors, there have never been any. Nor is there another uncontested king, other than it.
Agreed. Though I will always have a soft spot for the Champions of Norrath games. After I lost my PC those were the next best thing at the time and I played the shit out of them.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I really felt like that this complete genre was lost to me when Path of Exile turned out to be the next Median XL instead of the next Diablo 1.
What about Grim Dawn, Hades, Last Epoch, Children of Morta or others? I have never heard of them having a zoom zoom issue before.
There aren't any competitors, there have never been any. Nor is there another uncontested king, other than it.
Sure, grandpa. It's time to take your medicine and go back to the D2 thread now, okay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom