Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is a D2 thread

just like any hack n slash thread

Peachcurl

Cipher
I really felt like that this complete genre was lost to me when Path of Exile turned out to be the next Median XL instead of the next Diablo 1.
What about Grim Dawn, Hades, Last Epoch, Children of Morta or others? I have never heard of them having a zoom zoom issue before.
Not quite as extreme as PoE, but they are certainly more "zoomy" than D1.

Grim Dawn is pretty close to the slower but atmospheric gameplay of D1 in the beginning of the game, pretty much up until the Warden I would say.
Hades feels like a different genre. Much more arcade elements, with fun but twitchy gameplay.
Last Epoch: similar comment as I made for Grim Dawn, only I feel that the "D1 Phase" is even shorter? Can of course still change in the development process.
Children of Morta: huh... well, it's pretty good, and I guess somewhat slower than Hades (which otherwise is the closest match).

Ex Anima may come close, if it ever becomes an actual game rather than staying a tech demo (very, very big IF).

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I really felt like that this complete genre was lost to me when Path of Exile turned out to be the next Median XL instead of the next Diablo 1.
What about Grim Dawn, Hades, Last Epoch, Children of Morta or others? I have never heard of them having a zoom zoom issue before.
There aren't any competitors, there have never been any. Nor is there another uncontested king, other than it.
Sure, grandpa. It's time to take your medicine and go back to the D2 thread now, okay?
Borderlands has the least zoom zoom of all the Diablo-likes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what is meant by "zoomy" gameplay. None of the modern titles are as slow as D1, that's for sure. What Grim Dawn has going for it is immense build and content variety. There is something for basically everyone when you include the expansions.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Borderlands has the least zoom zoom of all the Diablo-likes.
If we start including Borderlands, we might as well consider Baldurs Gate, Doom Eternal, or Disco Redaxium... we have to draw a line somewhere.
Agree. Borderlands is nothing like Diablo unless you think the defining characteristic is looting, but then you're going to have to include all looter shooters, etc. It's an inclusion that makes "Diablo-like" meaningless.

abija

Prophet
It depends on what is meant by "zoomy" gameplay.
Run through maps, don't stop and fight. Monsters are either irrelevant (last epoch end game when I played it last time) or usually get blown in the process as collateral. The faster you can move and attack and the less actions you need to do except moving, the zoomier the game is.

Btw, siren runs in borderlands were about as zoomy as things can get :D

Generic-Giant-Spider

Dunno what that game is, Diablo 2 was the last one they made.
This is a D4 thread, fuck off. You're a nigger troll. Your knowledge is limited to what some click-bait channel shows you. Flicker strike isn't even a popular build.

EHEHEHEHE

All these FAGGOT builds look the same and play the same. Face facts: POE will always live in D2's tyrannical shadow while gremlins like you are eternally condemned to shill this crappy F2P garbage in every single Diablo-related thread until the day you keel over.

Sucks to suck, jumbo.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Isn't there a POE thread somewhere?
Nice phone game video GGS. Is there a non ADHD mode, or is the entire thing like that?

Well maybe the first ten minutes has you have a vague clue on what the fuck is happening on your screen ackackackack

mediocrepoet

Patron
Isn't there a POE thread somewhere?
Nice phone game video GGS. Is there a non ADHD mode, or is the entire thing like that?

Well maybe the first ten minutes has you have a vague clue on what the fuck is happening on your screen ackackackack
It kind of looks like They Are Billions if they fired the art director and replaced him with some random drunk hobo and then dumbed down the gameplay so that instead of building turrets and stuff, you just become the turret and run around in circles.

I'm pretty sure the reason I never got into this is that my parents loved me, so I wasn't slapped in the head enough as a child.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This thread is for discussing how shit Diablo 4 is, not how shit PoE is, okay?

You seemed really concerned when it was people discussing how awesome POE was with little to do with anything in the Diablo franchise. Besides...

Look. Look at this. The POEfags can't help themselves. What is wrong with these creatures.
Shut the fuck up, nigger. Go back to playing D2. This is a D4 thread and it will be compared to every competitor in the space until the end of time.

This is a D4 thread and it will be compared to every competitor in the space until the end of time. Now, look how shit POE is.

Sykar

Arcane
Dunno what that game is, Diablo 2 was the last one they made.
This is a D4 thread, fuck off. You're a nigger troll. Your knowledge is limited to what some click-bait channel shows you. Flicker strike isn't even a popular build.

EHEHEHEHE

All these FAGGOT builds look the same and play the same. Face facts: POE will always live in D2's tyrannical shadow while gremlins like you are eternally condemned to shill this crappy F2P garbage in every single Diablo-related thread until the day you keel over.

Sucks to suck, jumbo.

Pff weak sauce:

This build is not measured by DPS but SKPS, sever killed per second!
:evilcodex:

SumDrunkGuy

Diablo 1 was actually the best of them all because that game wasn't simply about gear hoarding. It was about the atmosphere and dread. I'll never forget the first time walking into the Butcher's lair. It made me poop. Moments like those are special and last a lifetime. Finding shiny new thingy in chest is a novelty that wears off over time, just like drugs and alcohol. It's why these types of games all eventually become shit. I can't even get into them anymore.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Diablo 1 is easily the best. When you hear that strumming in the first few seconds of beginning a new character you know you are about to play some good shit.

I appreciate the easy set up of, "just keep going down." No huge world travel shit, it's just you, this small cozy village that is nearly abandoned, and a church that everybody still alive is avoiding.

Shadenuat

Arcane
After D1, Nox was good. It also was self sufficient, heartful fun. The idea of heartful fun is lost today, as modern rpg elements aren't there to create characters or serve fun, their goal is to enslave you to the game.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Not even Blizzard was able to make a good Diablo game after Diablo 1. It's the curse of the series, all its clones and sequels will be bad.
It's not "not even Blizzard" but "especially Blizzard"

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
After D1, Nox was good. It also was self sufficient, heartful fun. The idea of heartful fun is lost today, as modern rpg elements aren't there to create characters or serve fun, their goal is to enslave you to the game.

It had multiplayer also in form of deathmatch? Or my memory fails me and I'm remembering something else? (Like Vampire Masquarade Redemption?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom