Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Getting more and more pumped for D4 to come out after watching all the single-player campaign footage.

THIS is what Diablo III should have been; glad Blizzard decided to ditch the WoW-inspired visuals and go for a much more gritty, dark, and ominous artstyle consistent with a game about battling the forces of hell.
The spell effects seem very WoW inspired. The animations are floaty like WoW. Itemization looks like shit.

Getting more and more pumped for D4 to come out after watching all the single-player campaign footage.

THIS is what Diablo III should have been; glad Blizzard decided to ditch the WoW-inspired visuals and go for a much more gritty, dark, and ominous artstyle consistent with a game about battling the forces of hell.
The spell effects seem very WoW inspired. The animations are floaty like WoW. Itemization looks like shit.

I didn't pickup on WoW-ish spell effects or animations.

The oversized, bulging bosses remind me of Diablo III, thus they're WoW-like, but that's it.

Skill tree with a literal tree graphic looks badass.

Because the Diablo franchise is in fact the prototype for all ARPG's, the story and gameplay are expectedly paper thin, with an overemphasis placed on visuals and atmosphere befitting an isometric horror dungeon crawler.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How a mage become better at casting fireballs :
  • Diablo 1 = Reading tomes
  • Diablo 2 = Investing skill points
  • Diablo 3 = Finding an bigger and sharper axe
  • Diablo Immortal = Lootbox for gems
  • Diablo 4 = ???

Totally unrelated, but imagine if Blizzard decided to go for a Diablo-inspired artstyle for World of Warcraft 2.

That would totally fuck the entire game, LOL.

On the contrary, Diablo Immortal retains the visual design philosophy of Diablo III, and it works because it's a mobile game and those style of graphics are what works best for low-specced systems like smartphones.

Also glad D4 didn't include the enemy outlining feature, it may have worked in Diablo III, but it turns POE into a muddy mess.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Dunno about Diablo III because I never played it and never will because of the WoW-clone artstyle, but I'm playing POE right now for the first time and it's absolute shit compared to Diablo II LOD.

There is absolutely no discernable story in POE, nor is there any consistent design philosophy so I find it very difficult to implement my own story roleplaying wise using the preexisting lore.

Titan Quest in comparison also lacks a story, but given the Greco visual design and main quest to defeat Titans, I was able to mentally visualize somewhat of a plot given my vague understanding of that time period.

Between POE and Diablo II Resurrected, I would totally recommend the latter to new players who haven't played either game yet.
Diablo 3 can be a good time if you're playing with friends. It's not a terrible game by any means. People just shit on it because it's the sequel to Diablo 2 and that's reasonable.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

The oversized, bulging bosses remind me of Diablo III, thus they're WoW-like, but that's it.

Because the Diablo franchise is in fact the prototype for all ARPG's, the story and gameplay are expectedly paper thin, with an overemphasis placed on visuals and atmosphere befitting an isometric horror dungeon crawler.
D2 has deep mechanics for what it is. The story is perfunctory.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
This thread demonstrates the thinking process of the cuck and how he consciously perpetuates his self-destructive spiral into advanced cuckoldry.

Nah, no way...

The Diablo II LOD story as revealed through cutscenes sets it apart from every other ARPG of its kind; watching the Resurrected CGI cutscenes on YouTube is badass.

I just finished playing about an hour of Diablo Immortal, and believe me when I tell you it's a way funner game than POE because of the underlying lore, bosses, and cutscenes (still images in this case).

The only way to discover lore in POE is to listen to the badly voiced NPC dialogue that's totally unintuitive.

I guess you could claim that Diablo II LOD had advanced mechanics for an ARPG of its time, but IMO, its simple skill trees, levelling, and itemization is fairly easy to understand, but still robust enough that its not dumbed down or too boring to be engaging.

Dunno about Diablo III because I never played it and never will because of the WoW-clone artstyle, but I'm playing POE right now for the first time and it's absolute shit compared to Diablo II LOD.

There is absolutely no discernable story in POE, nor is there any consistent design philosophy so I find it very difficult to implement my own story roleplaying wise using the preexisting lore.

Titan Quest in comparison also lacks a story, but given the Greco visual design and main quest to defeat Titans, I was able to mentally visualize somewhat of a plot given my vague understanding of that time period.

Between POE and Diablo II Resurrected, I would totally recommend the latter to new players who haven't played either game yet.
Diablo 3 can be a good time if you're playing with friends. It's not a terrible game by any means. People just shit on it because it's the sequel to Diablo 2 and that's reasonable.

You play Immortal yet?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

I just finished playing about an hour of Diablo Immortal, and believe me when I tell you it's a way funner game than POE because of the underlying lore, bosses, and cutscenes (still images in this case).

What exactly is stopping you from playing Diablo 3 now?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

I played Diablo 2 for years, I played PoE much less but also a lot, I also played TQ a significant amount of time. Despite of that i don't really remember any coherent story of any of the three games. I might have at one point in case of D2. All there was to those games were bad things and the player required to kill them. As to the bad things, the most original ones - not necessarily best mechanically - were in PoE, inspired (i think) by Glen Cook's books. Diablo 1 had a simple but decent story in but in the second... meh. The ONLY reason people think Diablo 2 story was cool (or even worse - that it was "good") is because unlike the other two games it was told using cool cinematics - and those were really nicely done. This is literally all there is to it.

Mechanically, if you asked me ~8 yeas ago i'd said PoE is the best one but since there it supposedly became to bloated so it might be that it isn't the best any more. But it is very clear to me that it WAS at some point in time.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
PoE had a good story, interesting characters and nice atmosphere up until Act 3, after that it went to shit. It had very interesting lore that tied to the game mechanics like slotting gems, corruption, maps and items. In contrast I played probably 1000 hours in D3 and can't name one interesting characters that was not in d1 or d2.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Enjoy your disappointment. You really think this won't suck ass? You really trust woke Blizzard?
After making mobile immortal, how can you trust them. lol.

The only way this is going to be good, is if Blizzard isn't making this to make a lot of money. They just make this to gain more fans for their dying franchise.

SumDrunkGuy

Wait, he passed on Diablo 3 because he didn't think it was worthy but thought the wallet leeching mobile game was worth a try? Lol come on United what is you doin?

Didn't like the artstyle.

I'm comparing it to Immortal, and graphically, they're about identical.

Wait, he passed on Diablo 3 because he didn't think it was worthy but thought the wallet leeching mobile game was worth a try? Lol come on United what is you doin?

Immortal ain't bad man...

I've played a good deal of mobile games, and this is the first ARPG that even approaches anything that a proper PC or console experience offers.

Elder Scrolls Blades for instance is a single hub (town) that starts off demolished but then you can upgrade with about 3 beneficial plots (blacksmith, alchemist, enchanter).

The rest you can rebuild with homes/buildings that cost in-game gold but do absolutely nothing for the player except level up your town's experience points.

All dungeons/zones are limited to about 5 tile sets that look identical to one another, and so do most of the mobs.

The NPC arena events are over in about 5 seconds, and the PVP from what I remember, is over in about 5 seconds too and they pair you up with other players 50 levels out of your range.

IMO, the best games on mobile platforms are escape games or point and click adventure games, like the Forgotten Hill series and Life Gallery.

Some PC ports are excellent on mobile too, such as The Banner Saga (1 & 2... 3 isn't available for mobile).

Older games such as Sanitarium, and the Infinity Engine games are available for mobile, but they're semi unplayable due to everything being microscopic including the UI (the Infinity Engine games are recommended for no screen size smaller than a tablet).

Last edited:
Because Diablo started the subgenre and PoE is the current uncontested king. Every game in the genre gets to be compared with it. Sure beats reading random ramblings from (apparently senile) nostalgia fags.
I puked in my mouth reading this. I would take Diablo 3 over PoE like any day.

I played Diablo 2 for years, I played PoE much less but also a lot, I also played TQ a significant amount of time. Despite of that i don't really remember any coherent story of any of the three games. I might have at one point in case of D2. All there was to those games were bad things and the player required to kill them. As to the bad things, the most original ones - not necessarily best mechanically - were in PoE, inspired (i think) by Glen Cook's books. Diablo 1 had a simple but decent story in but in the second... meh. The ONLY reason people think Diablo 2 story was cool (or even worse - that it was "good") is because unlike the other two games it was told using cool cinematics - and those were really nicely done. This is literally all there is to it.

Mechanically, if you asked me ~8 yeas ago i'd said PoE is the best one but since there it supposedly became to bloated so it might be that it isn't the best any more. But it is very clear to me that it WAS at some point in time.

Only cool thing about POE so far is the dungeons in ACT 1/2.

Soundtrack sucks, graphics suck, enemy mobs are lame, I've only fought one boss in Act 1, itemization is confusing, skill tree has infinite possibilities for customization, but do we really need that?

My Shadow toon is running around with a single auto-cast buff and skitterbots, combat is me casting electric AOE spell that damages mobs in a radius, and spamming ethereal knives over and over and over again.

Sometimes I drop an aggro totem in case of higher level mobs, but there really is no need because every encounter is over in about 5 seconds, 10 seconds if I get zerged.

ADL

Prophet
Enjoy your disappointment. You really think this won't suck ass? You really trust woke Blizzard?
This easily looks like the best thing they've done since D2 by a huge margin so why not? First time I've been interested in a Blizzard game in over twenty years.
Only cool thing about POE so far is the dungeons in ACT 1/2.

Soundtrack sucks, graphics suck, enemy mobs are lame, I've only fought one boss in Act 1, itemization is confusing, skill tree has infinite possibilities for customization, but do we really need that?

My Shadow toon is running around with a single auto-cast buff and skitterbots, combat is me casting electric AOE spell that damages mobs in a radius, and spamming ethereal knives over and over and over again.
This is pretty much word-for-word why I dislike Path of Exile aside from the monetization which is some of the worst I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and check out Last Epoch.

ADL

Prophet
Lootboxes, $480 supporter packs, $80+ armor cosmetics, league mechanics that were designed purely to sell stash tabs. It amazes me that they get away with it because free2play and the whole "just don't buy it bro it's just cosmetic" when the stash tabs alone end up costing you more than their competitors at retail with expansions.

This set alone costs 3090 points ($309). Checked my math twice on that one. It's right.
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase
S32XFpr.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lootboxes, $480 supporter packs, $80+ armor cosmetics, league mechanics that were designed purely to sell stash tabs. It amazes me that they get away with it because free2play and the whole "just don't buy it bro it's just cosmetic" when the stash tabs alone end up costing you more than their competitors at retail with expansions.

This set alone costs 3090 points ($309). Checked my math twice on that one. It's right.
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

Not surprised. "Free" games are bullshit. Give me a price tag for the box/download and then fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom