Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo: The Hell 2

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Gorn, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Gorn Novice

Gorn
    So I've been on a hack 'n slash binge for the past week. Found this mod, and it's good. Go check it out.

Reasons:

1) Good and challenging from the DLevel 1. There's no usual fluff of going though the normal difficulty to get to the good stuff.

2) Good gameplay variety (I picked mage elementalist). You're forced to use a ton of spells that appear imbalanced on paper (e.g. teleport) but the opposition is simply so strong esp. on higher difficulties that you have to use every tool in the box to survive. In D1TH2 many quests pose a challenge.

3) Atmosphere is still top notch.

This may lack longevity of bigger games like PoE but is definitely worth checking out for anyone who liked Diablo 1.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Interesting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • No x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    No link?

^ Top  
  3. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Diablo - The Hell 1 HD still better. Removed by original creator due possible bugs but I found none so far. Must be jellyness and fear that people lost interest in TH2 garbage.

TH2 is only good for technical improvement - working windowed mode, 60FPS etc. (which DTH1HD have) but gameplay changes are...debatable.

Loot restriction where you won't get items for other classes means you won't make money by selling books anymore.
    You won't find useful item for other classes that way, loosing motivation to start a new one.
    Also - shared stash money making method is gone because muh multiplayer and soft down micropenises dev thinking that game about (vanquishing) evil put players to temptation, or whatever other reason.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    ^ Top  
  4. Dr Skeleton Cipher

Dr Skeleton
    I played it a bit, the difficulty and hardcore mode are nice, but I hate the class design and smart loot. Splitting every class into a bunch of archetypes with predetermined gear choice was a terrible idea, e.g. with a warrior you have to pick a sub-class that determines if you're going to use exclusively 1h or 2h melee weapons for the entire game, can't use both:retarded:

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. otsego Cipher

otsego
    Belzebub HD mod reigns supreme

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I was reading some comments on youtube that there is no shared stash. ??? Pre-determined loot based on played class? Oh man! I loved getting odd shit to sell or maybe I'd play a class purposely opposite. Example in beelzebub: I had a barbarian who had 0 int I believe and it was stat-locked. You could use +int gear to get more. So i eventually found int gear to make a shitty caster. He was a pos but finding spellbooks and shit was kind of cool.

Eh.. 29 classes and other stuff. I'll doenload eventually.

speaking of gog diablo and OLD OLD OLD mods; has anyone tried installing them? I must have skme mods on a cd somewhere.

Is there a D1 and D2 mod manager that's slick to use?

^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    How it compares to the original The Hell?

Damn, now I want to play it again. Monk-Mage build is fucking sick, slinging spells from afar and then dealing AoE kung fu staff bashing at close range.

Is there some HD modmod for the first The Hell, btw?

^ Top  
  8. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    This is a fun mod, the smart loot mechanic is brilliant.

^ Top  
  9. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I swore someone in a video mentioned that. Not sure tbh.

I only see THIS!

hmmm Tchernobog v0.2.0b - SpellBlade released just this year. I had no clue again.

infernity +

I forgot about Abysmal

I wonder if these sites still have content
    alternate sites for downloads: Guardiansofjustice.com , Diablo1.ru and Diablo.phx.pl

TheHell wiki - funny the old site isn't available.

old forums

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    ^ Top  
  10. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    TH2 is bloated kitchen sink with various ideas for bored folks who want to stick to simple Diablo1 combat and don't like D2 clones. Some of these ideas like limits for drops and stash shenaningans are one of the worst, never played it again.

I gave you link to TH1 HD long ago, it's here

No? You just dropped mod files into game folder, set things up and play.

Mods from potatoes are unfinished (Belzebub&Tchernobog) and badly balanced (Awakening which inspired the Belz), same with Gothic mods from them, including "fan translations" that mess with the mod itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Informative.

Thanks, bro!

I remember now, but I probably forgot then.

I'm going to download it straight to my external HD this time.

Does it contains TH1 extra downloads, like the new class sprites for the extra classes? I think The Hell had a music download too?

^ Top  
  12. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    The install footprint is 6.5 gigs.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter

I need to buy another fucking SSD [​IMG]

EDIT: uBlock Origin is throwing a fit when I open that link. Something about vgilink. What's up with that?

^ Top  
  14. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    https://www.patreon.com/thmod

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Thanks, bro!

I did find out the real problem: For some strange reason, uBlock throwns a fit if I open any outgoing link from the Codex with the adblocks off. I just switched Brave Shield on and both links opened normally. I need to take this up with the admin.

^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Hey, so update: I just remember this, decided to give it a spin. Downloaded Diablo, then prepared to put these files in and...

Bro, what the fuck?!

Windows Defender promptly blocked it and told me it stopped a Trojan called Occamy.CB1.

I also ran it through the Virustotal site and it also told me it was full of malware.

Dude, you just sent me a file full of malware. What the hell!

• Rage Rage x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    I only hated cooldowns in this mod and in Belzebub...

^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I haven't tried TH2 but the original was a bit of a meat grinder in the beginning. I can't recall which alts got to nightmare. Lost them all when old computer went kaput. Didn't work on win10. Beelzebub was fun but I got altoholic addiction.

^ Top  
  19. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    This is weird.
    Try this one
    It would be really bad because this mod is unique and nowhere to be found.

^ Top  
  20. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    That is because he has a Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/thmod

You can find the downloads there.

^ Top  
  21. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    TH1 HD was made by Desert Dragon, not MordorXP who deleted this project with extreme prejudice claiming it was "too bugged" which is bullshit. I've spend more hours (100+) with this mod than Diablo2+LoD and various mod.
    Guess he wanted to be sure people go with TH2 and not somewhere else.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Nope, download it, same issues. Both Virustotal and Windows Defender consider this infested.
    Where did you find this?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    This is old file from Moddb, shortly before it was deleted by MordorXP.
    What a shame, it was great project. What a rotten way to abandon...

^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I think I just had one of my most INTENSE Diablo experiences ever, all courtesy of this MOTHERFUCKER:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing impressive, right? Its just a unique Wyrm spitting acid.
    Well, for STARTERS, it has 880 HP.
    It spits acid, that annoying persistent damage acid spit that creates a pool of acid on the ground which does persistent damage as long as you stand on it.
    So I can't just stand in front of it and start whaling it in the face, it always spits and if I stand there hitting it, I get damage.
    I was pretty much out of health potions when I faced it, and I never found a book of healing, so I had to run from it to regenerate health.
    All spells I tried tossing at the damn thing did diddy squat. Pretty sure its immune to fire, and my only lightning spell is Charged Bolt which is lame.

What ensued was a twenty-minute chase between my Monk (Fengzhong) and that damn acid spitting monster from hell. I swear, never have I ever felt this hunted before. I could't even retreat due to the way it works in The Hell. It was pretty much using fury, ambushing it near a wall, landing a few hits and running away from the acid, running around while regenerating, and then hitting it again, until either of us ran out of HP first.

No Potions, no Town Portal, pretty much no spells.

I truly felt like I was being pursued by an invincible monster from hell. A borderline invincible one.

In the end, I got it down to it last HP and finally went in for the kill... and it got me first. DAMN YOU PLAGUEWRATH!

Wew, that was... intense.

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    So, on my playing of The Hell 1...

Is Hell itself to be such a big difficulty spike compared to caves? Level 13 was pure terror with its Lightning Demons, Imp Rogues and Bloodslayers. The Obsidian Golems were kind of a joke tho, unless they corner you. Level 14 from the little I played of it, seems way easier - just melee monsters so far. Weird.

Also, is Abyss supposed to be even harder than Hell? Because I got totally megarekt there by super-tough horned demons, super-fast venomtails and those fireball-spitting snakes - even with Fire Reisistance 85%, they still whittled me down. There's also some acid-spitting spiders that get me good.

Also, I never saw Lester. The Abyss was just open after I finished the Caves. Weird.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.