Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by ghostdog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. KickAss Augur

KickAss
    FLIRT :)

^ Top  
  2. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    Best thing since I stopped LP-ing.

:hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Fantastic work! :salute:

Project Fraternity: You've got to romance them all :lol:

^ Top  
  4. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    The (mis)adventures of Ryan continue! Let's see how will he deal with Laidlaw...

^ Top  
  5. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
  6. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    There's only one R-YAN. BTW how's that "resurrected" LP coming along ?

^ Top  
  7. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    < 06 > - < ALL THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD >

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Channel 6 studios. The place where the fates have brought me to do their dirty work.

[​IMG]

I stand on the pavement and through the gloomy fog of pollution I see a sign that says "Channel 6 Studios" in large lettering. Behind the sign a large building reaches up into the darkness.

[​IMG]

Army trucks stand parked on the pavement. Laidlaw has come here with his army. I reach the building's entrance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entrance is guarded. The soldier is dressed in camouflage with leather boots half way up his shins and a large machine gun gripped firmly in his hands. He looks as if he's been gritting his teeth like this for hours. He looks around nervously as I watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Can I go inside, I have an appointment.

[​IMG] No! Nobody is allowed in or out, security regulations.

[​IMG] But I have an important appointment!

[​IMG] You heard me, now please leave.

[​IMG] Right, I get the message.

What are they afraid of, some murdering lunatic that might try to off the general ? Well, they should. Nothing is going to stop me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess that's not a smart move. I should try to find another way in.

[​IMG]

The road meets a junction here and follows the TV studio's main building along to what looks like a back entrance or exit. The road leads off into a badly lit area and the rain comes down in torrents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side road leads to the rear of the TV Studio. This is probably where delivery vans gain access. The buildings in either side are high and block out most of the weak moonlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Behind a thick piece of glass is an old man with wispy grey hair that is bald at the top. He has a blue uniform on with gold rings on the cuffs and lapels. There's a nametag on his chest, spelling the name POOPERSCOOPER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Er, I've got an appointment.

[​IMG] Look, the military have closed us down for the day. No one has an appointment.

[​IMG] But...

[​IMG] You must have made a mistake. I can take your name and book you in for tomorrow if you like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Military General Laidlaw has a special live TV interview this afternoon about the Middle East.

[​IMG] Ah, ok. So, what are all these notes you have there ?

[​IMG] What, these ? Notes for my screenplay. Being on night watch gives me time to write.

[​IMG] Really ? What is it about ?

[​IMG] It's a Fallout Sitcom. Think of a combination between Twin Peaks, Married with Children and Mad Max.

[​IMG] Er, that sounds great. Why don't you let me in and I'll put in a good word for your script.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] But I really need to see someone inside.

[​IMG] If you don't leave sir I'll be forced to call security.

[​IMG] Alright, I'm on my way.

DAMMIT. This old guy wont budge. There must be a way to overcome this obstacle. I check my pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing. Maybe I could use the gum with the cashcard the Ankh and this nearby plant to develop a plastic explosive and create a diversion (I've seen it in an episode of McGyver2000)...

[​IMG]

No.

That leaves me only one choice...

[​IMG]

Goodbye, POOPER. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:salute:

I feel bad about the old man, but what really frightens me is that I didn't even flinch while pulling the trigger. What am I turning into ?

[​IMG]

I push back these disturbing thoughts. I must focus on my mission.

[​IMG]

The air here smells damp and thick with exhaust fumes. The side of the studio is blank, apart from a solidary doorway. The doorway is now open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stand in the entry lobby at the rear of the TV studio. The desk here is unmanned and I can see no-one around. There's a brochure on the desk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Just a list of news related programmes... Hmm, what this ?

There is something underneath that brochure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put it in my pocket. This will come in handy. I think it's time I located Laidlaw...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This corridor leads to a set of doors that have a light over them saying "Transmission in Progress". Apart from this the corridor is quiet and empty.

[​IMG]

This must be where Laidlaw is being interviewed, but I can't get in from here. I search the rest of the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little room must be used by lighting engineers. Lighting equipment is all over the place and there is a ladder here which may lead up onto the lighting rig. I decide to try my luck with the ladder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BINGO!

[​IMG]

I hide in the shadows and listen.

[​IMG] So, General Laidlaw, I hear you've been issuing new warfare tactics in your army.

[​IMG] Yes. With these new tactics you have every ability you had before in terms of being able to attack, move and position guys. But they're faster, way more fluid, way more comprehensible.

[​IMG] Some people have voiced concerns that these new tactics may be a bit simplistic, that platoons aren't going to be able to be organized in time.

[​IMG] You may have to pause a little bit more to pull off the 'grand strategy,' but you can still pause the action, move between all of your characters... All those things are still there.

[​IMG] But that's not all the innovation you've brought to our army. Rumors talk about a weapon of mass destruction ready to spread havoc with the push of one button.

[​IMG] What I basically said to my combat team was, "Let's get the feeling of when I press a button, something awesome happens." I always want to fire off nice and early. I think the results surpassed even our greatest expectations.

[​IMG] But what about those who say that such weapons should never have existed. That such attitude can only lead to war and destruction ?

[​IMG] Miss Wainwright, these aren't tools for war, but for peace. They will be used to maintain our peaceful way of life. There are some who don't understand that. These people revel on adversity and chaos. We WILL bring them peace, rest assured.

[​IMG] Safeguarding world peace. Isn't that a nerve-wrecking responsibility ?

[​IMG] It certainly is a heavy duty, but I can guarantee that I won't be crushed by its weight.

Disgusted by his smug face and patronizing lies, I try to think of way to rid the world of his presence. My gaze falls on the nearby winch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I smile as I realize that the general might be crushed by the weight of his decisions after all... I turn my attention the winch's controls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rage:

Nothing is ever easy. I decide to go back down and see if I can find a working fuse.

[​IMG]

Eventually, I enter some kind of store room. A few empty packing crates are stacked against one wall with the lids removed. There is a damp musty smell in the room. On the wall I see what I've been looking for :

[​IMG]

The panel is held by screws, but that won't stop me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside I find a fuse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I go back up the ladder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fits ! It's time to see if Laidlaw can really lift the weight of the world on his shoulders...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This teleportation trick sure comes in handy.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    I never claimed that it was resurrected in the first place. :smug:

I'll save the next update for you though, when you need it the most.

:love:

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :lol: That Jay Wilson's book is priceless.

This is definitely the best Codex-themed LP in history. Great job, dawg. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Two down!

^ Top  
  11. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    D: You killed Pooperscooper in cold blood! Harsh, bro :(

Good stuff tho

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    It really is impressive. The amount of work put into this is awe inspiring. :salute:

^ Top  
  13. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Excellent! :salute:

^ Top  
  14. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    He scoopered his last pooper !

Actually I was quite surprised with this one. I didn't remember this particular puzzle and I was trying to combine inventory items, or something, while the solution was "shoot the nice old guy in the face". :eek:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    This, and some of the little "pranks" you had to pull off to get into Lodge in Harvester are amongst the most memorable experiences of my gaming history. You know, "do something real bad or stop playing the game" kind of C&C.

^ Top  
  16. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    You should publish those comic strips separately, dawg. DLC is the future of entertainment industry, after all.
    Great job so far.

^ Top  
  17. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Haba
    Whoa, Harvester looks like a batshit crazy game. :added in playlist:

spekkio
    I'm already thinking of changing the [ spoiler] tags into [sponsor] tags, where people will be able to get their day-zero DLC for only $3.99

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    I think you should bring this LP to the one-before-final update and then run kickstarter to fund the final one.

:obviously:

^ Top  
  19. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    < 07 > - < NOW THEY HAVE A LEADER >

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laidlaw is dead. I'm feeling drained. I step into oblivion. When I come around, I'm within a dream... Dreamweb ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm surrounded by the hooded figures once more. They represent a finality that horrifies me. One of them emerges from the shadows and beckons me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Laidlaw's power has been absorbed by the web, but the remaining five are aware of your presence.

[​IMG] What will they do ?

[​IMG] They will try and stop you. Now they have a leader.

[​IMG] What is his name?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] His corporation, Interplay, was once a video game developing and publishing firm.

[​IMG] Yeah, I think I've heard of them.

[​IMG] Caen infiltrated their ranks, hijacked the company, dismantled the developing studios and profiteered from selling owned IPs with tampered papers and afterwards suing the buyers for fraud.

[​IMG] Unbelievable.

[​IMG] And that was only the start. With aggressive stock handling and under-the-table dealings he created a colossal enterprise that now bears the name Interplay. He has his hands dipped practically in everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] We feel that he is close to someone you know well. This may provide a path to him.

[​IMG] Must I release Laidlaw's power from the Dreamweb?

[​IMG] Yes Ryan. On your path through the Dreamweb you will find a crystal. The crystal has a power that will protect you.Do not leave the Dreamweb without it.

[​IMG] I'll do as you say.

[​IMG] Now make haste...

I already have the crystal in my possession. Now all that remains is to open the next seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turn the key and welcome the void.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find myself outside Sparky's. A drink doesn't sound like a bad idea at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I just need a drink to help me take the edge off.

[​IMG] Just one, Ryan, I won't serve you anything more.

[​IMG] Thanks Sparky.

The scotch gives me a temporary warmth. Enough to get me to Trash's. I need to straighten myself up a bit and Trash's is the nearest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find him dozing in front of the TV. Occasionally he half opens his eyes and lazily flicks to another TV channel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Trash, how's it going?

[​IMG] Oh, it's you. Did you see Silverman?

[​IMG] Yeah.

[​IMG] Did you get what you wanted?

[​IMG] Yeah, I got what I wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Thanks.

[​IMG] You look like you could use some sleep, man.

[​IMG] I don't think I can sleep, I've got too much on my mind.

[​IMG] You can crash here if you like, I'm not moving from this chair.

[​IMG] Thanks but no thanks. Can I use your bathroom ?

[​IMG] Sure man.

I splash some water on my face and I feel somewhat human again. I sit for a couple of minutes to get my bearings and then move on to get to my flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Morbid curiosity makes me look at the news. Is this what all killers do ?

[​IMG]

So, I'm now officially a serial killer. I wonder if the media will give me a name...

Frankly, I don't really care. I recall that some days ago I took one of Eden's cartridges with me, on a whim. On the sticker it reads "Interplay Enterprises".

[​IMG] Hmm, it seems this Dreamweb has been influencing my decisions a long time now...

Such thoughts make me uneasy, so I push them back. Anyway, I need to freshen up my memory about the cartridge's contents :

[​IMG]

Great, I know how to get in. Now I only need to find out where Caen is. Next stop : Eden's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find Eden in the bathroom. She is neck deep in bath water and foam bubbles. Her eyes are half closed as she relaxes in the hot water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I got the sack. Sparky finally got fed up with me.

[​IMG] Where have you been? You look awful.

[​IMG] I've, um, been with Trash.

[​IMG] I suppose that explains why you look so bad.

[​IMG] He's my friend, I needed to talk to him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Look, I've just got to sort this out on my own.

[​IMG] I worry about you. Why don't you get some sleep? You look terrible.

[​IMG] I know, people keep telling me that.

[​IMG] Go and lay down. I have to go to work soon...

[​IMG] Yeah, maybe I will.

I didn't have the guts to ask Eden about Caen. I can't bear the thought of her finding out what I'm up to. I follow her advice and go to the bedroom.

[​IMG]

As I'm rearanging Eden's clothes in order to lie down, I come upon her organizer. Maybe I can find Caen's location inside !

[​IMG]

Feeling somewhat guilty I scan through the various names...

[​IMG]

I exit the apartment quietly.

[​IMG]

As I descend with the elevator I fell like I'm going straight down to Hell. Caen is just one of the demons I'll have to face along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  20. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I wonder how many Codexers will make a cameo... MOAR!!

^ Top  
  21. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

^ Top  
  22. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    One day, I too will make it into a Codex LP. :( I'm just not one-dimensionally rambunctious enough.

I love these old games with weird UIs. Having the dude take up 1/6 of the screen is immensely counterproductive, but somehow I wouldn't wish it gone.

^ Top  
  23. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    In this case my guess is that the UI is mostly there to fill the space. Time and money probably restrained the developers from making bigger game areas or larger and more detailed pixel art. But yeah, the strange UI definitely adds to the game's style.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.