Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SO, how about getting to the next page. The final chapter is shaping up to be pretty big...

EDIT:
whoops, already there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 12 > - < JUST THE JOKER REMAINS >

Watchmen-prosper.jpg

diarypage-37+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

The path I've taken brings me into dark depths of this abandoned church. Riccitiello must be somewhere beyond this point. I'm inclined to move on...

scummvm04748.jpg

scummvm04752.jpg

I find myself in a small square room built from stone blocks. The ceiling is high above me and through the small opening in it I can see the dim light from inside the church. An ancient sarcophagus dominates the room :

scummvm04756.jpg

Bracing myself, I give the stone slab a heave...

scummvm04764.jpg

I take a look inside :

scummvm04767.jpg

scummvm04768.jpg

Among the old bones, I discover a dagger and a couple of red gems :

scummvm04774.jpg

scummvm04778.jpg

In a nearby jar I find a third identical gem. I put the candlesticks on the ground to empty some inventory space and check the room...

scummvm04784.jpg

ryan.png
There must be some way out !

A peculiar stone tile on the floor grabs my attention :

scummvm04785.jpg

These holes seem just right for the gems I found...

scummvm04809.jpg

scummvm04811.jpg

For a while I feared that this might end up being my own tomb, but it seems luck is on my side.

scummvm04815.jpg

scummvm04816.jpg

The caverns here are fairly wide. This tunnel leads off in two directions into the gloom. Occasionally I hear the distant dripping of water.

scummvm04821.jpg

A gate stands in my way. Its bars reach from floor to ceiling and each bar is a thick piece of metal. There is no lock or handle that I can see but the gate seems to come from a recess in the south wall.

scummvm04823.jpg

Brute force won't help me here, I decide to search the room behind me :

scummvm04825.jpg

scummvm04834.jpg

So, someone was here recently. I'm getting close, but I'll have to find my way through first. As I keep on exploring the corridors, I come upon an imposing statue :

scummvm04840.jpg

scummvm04843.jpg

scummvm04844.jpg

It looks like some kind of mechanism, If only I knew the right symbol... Suddenly, I recall a drawing in that diary :

symbol.jpg

ryan.png
No, this can't be... How would I know of this ?

How would I, really ?

scummvm04846.jpg

:KRRRRRRR:

A rattling sound is heard from the other side of the corridor, could I really...

scummvm04851.jpg

Somehow I was right. Refusing to think of the implications I move forward.

scummvm04855.jpg

I have found what appears to be the usual entrance into these underground rooms. Two large steel doors cover a doorway cut into the rock. These doors must lead to the room that was at the back of the church above me.

scummvm04858.jpg

My only option is to keep on walking down the corridor.

scummvm04865.jpg

scummvm04866.jpg

There is some kind of cart here :

scummvm04869.jpg

And to my left, a dead end...

scummvm04873.jpg

ryan.png
No way ! Riccitiello is sure to be found in here, there must be something I've missed...

As I trace the walls of the corridor I make a startling discovery. There's some kind of door here !

scummvm04879.jpg

scummvm04882.jpg

A key, great ! I use my skeleton key...

ryan.png
Damn, it doesn't fit !

What kind of game is this, teasing me with key-less keyholes ? Pondering these questions I look back at the cart...

ryan.png
Hmm, it rests opposite the door, if it were heavy enough, it could...

A cunning plant takes form in my mind. I start gathering all the rocks I can find :

scummvm04884.jpg

And load them into the cart :

scummvm04900.jpg

scummvm04901.jpg

scummvm04929.jpg

It looks heavy enough. I give it a huge push...

scummvm04935.jpg

scummvm04938.jpg

:CRASH:

scummvm04943.jpg

scummvm04949.jpg

:yeah:

I pick up the pace.

scummvm04950.jpg

scummvm04970.jpg

scummvm04972.jpg

Holy shit !

scummvm04988.jpg

ryan.png
The keepers suspected Riccitiello would reach Entropy. I think this is it...

scummvm04984_new.jpg

There is a sickening stench coming from the mutated remains of the priest. His flesh has stretched and split to grow into long veiny tendrils that reach across the room. Beyond them I can make out a bottomless pit....

scummvm04997.jpg

Unable to look at this spectacle any longer I lower my head. On the floor I spot a hole where a stone tile has been removed. Was someone else here ?

scummvm05002.jpg

Peering into the hole I can see a small room below.

scummvm05006.jpg

scummvm05010.jpg

This appears to be a small storeroom of some description, although by the look of it the room hasn't been used for years. Through the open doorway I can see an underground railway platform.

scummvm05017.jpg

Amazingly, this appears to be an abandoned subway station.

scummvm05045.jpg

scummvm05046.jpg

The tunnel is most worrying. The only light that I can see by is the light from the platform. The shingle between the rails is slippery and I am painfully aware of the live rail by my feet.

scummvm05052.jpg

scummvm05053.jpg

I decide to go through the opening...

scummvm05056.jpg

scummvm05057.jpg

WHOA !

scummvm05059.jpg

I find a man sitting on the floor, shuffling a deck of cards. Occasionally he picks one and throws it on a pile in front of him. When he raises his head I see a face distorted by madness and evil. He throws the cards away and stands up. He is Kotick. He is the Dealer.

scummvm05068.jpg

" Just the Joker remains, but not to save the day... "

scummvm05074.jpg

" I have lived a tortured life. So many victims. So many I have saved. "

scummvm05081.jpg

" I felt you coming closer to me. You see, in the end it is you who has faced death. "

scummvm05088.jpg

" Destruction of us is your own destruction. The keepers did not warn you of the consequences of your actions. "

scummvm05094.jpg

" When you die your force will be sent to the Dreamweb and wait for a controlling space. "

scummvm05102.jpg

" You will be caught in a vicious circle, searching for your way to escape the Earth. The other six have moved on, as we all will. "

scummvm05112.jpg

All this time I couldn't utter a word. His eyes glow with feral intelligence and deadly intent. I realize that I must act, or I will perish. My gun is the logical choice.

scummvm05124.jpg

But his knife is quicker...

scummvm05133.jpg

scummvm05129.jpg

scummvm05127.jpg

scummvm05138.jpg

No, I can't die here ! The gun is slow, but my feet are faster !

scummvm05155.jpg

scummvm05159.jpg

scummvm05164.jpg

As I step into the tunnel, I hear the roaring of a coming train...

scummvm05168.jpg

scummvm05169.jpg

scummvm05171.jpg

SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER !

scummvm05174.jpg

scummvm05179.jpg

At last... It has ended.

scummvm05187.jpg

scummvm05190.jpg

I absorb the last of the seven, and return to the dreamweb.

scummvm05199+copy1.jp

TheKeeper.png
The commanding positions have been filled.

scummvm05199+copy2.jpg

TheKeeper.png
We will now protect the web.

scummvm05199+copy3.jpgg

TheKeeper.png
From here you must return to your life. It will never be the same and the consequences will be great.

scummvm05199+copy4.jpg

I'm teleported back to the church.
Outside, sirens are howling.
It seems that the police has finally caught up with me.

scummvm05211.jpg

scummvm05215.jpg

vince.png
Put down your weapon and walk slowly towards us !

scummvm05224.jpg

I'm tired.
I'm drained.
I want this to end.
I haven't slept for days.
I want to sleep.
I know what I have to do.

My hand reaches inside my coat...

scummvm05235.jpg

scummvm05237.jpg

scummvm05242.jpg

scummvm05246.jpg

scummvm05247.jpg

scummvm05248.jpg

I can feel it as my essence, along with the other seven, leaves my dead body.

scummvm05256.jpg

They merge into one...

scummvm05265.jpg

And go back to the Dreamweb.

scummvm05274.jpg

The last thing I see, is the machine spitting out a ticket...

scummvm05279.jpg

A symbolic gesture perhaps, as I travel to the otherworld.

scummvm05281.jpg

scummvm05294.jpg

...I think I hear laughter echoing in the vast halls of the Dreamweb...

todd02.jpg

todd03.jpg

todd04.jpg

todd04a.jpg

Watchmen+10+-+08.jpg

watchmen-codex-troll.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Nope. Don't expect any "happy" endings in Dreamweb. That's it. Used by the keepers, turned into their serial killer, hopefully killed some evil dudes, ended up getting killed by cops. Or maybe that was all the ravings of a man spiraling into madness. That's it. :smug:

lightbane

Arcane
Truly a trolling ending. Perfectly fitting this codexian lp :bravo:

(Seriously though, Dreamweb's ending was awesome, no happy ending for you). Then the Diary gives us another possible interpretation of the game's events which is even more disturbing.

PS: Why is it that in fiction those that supposedly pretend to be neutral are usually barely better then the villains (if not outright worse)??

PPS: Also, have the ending ost, which deserves to be heard (skip to 4:00).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I deeply thank all my 10 faithful readers :salute:
This was a shitload of work, I will never do this again. (probably). But I had fun with it.

The soundtrack is indeed great. A perfect cyberpunk soundtrack and along with Alexander Brandon's DX soundtrack the best of their kind in video games. I've gathered both the in-game soundtrack (from the amiga version which had the best sound and some extra tracks) and the official soundtrack that was published in CD format and remixed/edited/merged some of it to give it bigger track length for the LP (I was planning to add youtube music videos for all chapters, but it was too much work :( ). So, if anyone wants them I've uploaded it to mediafire. Trust me, it's worth a listen :

LINK

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Loved this!
The game is great, although it feels a bit rushed in the later parts: at the start you can pick up a myriad of objects and they all have descriptions and actions, but then it devolves into mostly empty rooms.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Goddamn this was excellent and brought back alot of memories. Dreamweb was always so sad and depressing, killing all these people with the knowledge that you are probably going to get fucked over eventually and have to kiss goodbye to your (albeit kinda crappy) life. Also, the soundtrack to this game was really nice, really set the mood for alot of the scenes.

Many thanks :bro:

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
This was a fantastic Let's Play that actually inspired me to play through the game. Also, that soundtrack.

I remember years ago reading through an issue of computer gaming world magazine, and it had a section of "the 15 worst back stories of all time" in video games. They listed DreamWeb under this, saying:

NQpntvN.png

So, finding that issue of CGW again made me interested in finding out more about Donald Wandrei's story. The first problem is that its title is "The Lunatic Plague", not "A Plague of Lunacy". The second problem was that the story had only ever been published in an old magazine from the 30's.

kVE4ZVk.jpg

BUT! Through the magic of internet searching I found out that the story had been collected in an out-of-print anthology of pulp detective fiction, easily obtainable by buying second hand.

81NWPsvMMzL.png

So I bought the book and read through Donald Wandrei's story in an afternoon...

and I realized that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of DreamWeb.

The premise of Wandrei's story (which is silly, features a Gary Stu protagonist named I.V. Frost, and requires that you suspend belief because I.V. figures out everything without a hint of trouble) is that there are a handful of people who have been committing strange acts (ex. an old guy was pushing a peanut up a sidewalk with his nose), refusing to stop, and when they're questioned by the police, they don't reveal anything. The "epidemic" is referred to by the protagonist as "a plague of lunacy". It has nothing to do with DreamWeb.

Well, I don't know why I thought other people would find that interesting, but there you go. Myth dispelled. Thanks again for the LP, ghostdog. May I ask how you made the title image?

The DreamWeb logo is as perfect as it could have been. Did you scan the box, or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom