Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples: Liberation - "a new beginning" for the series

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked the BDSM scene. I'm not sure what this has to do with Disciples, though, or what genre it even is. It says strategy RPG, but that doesn't make much sense imo. Do they mean tactical RPG? This is what they say in a response to a similar question in the YouTube comments:

It's not an RPG, it's explicity a strategy RPG/tactical RPG with its core and heart being intricate turn-based combat.

???

It's not an RPG, but it's a strategy/tactical RPG??? This is not a shooter, it's a third person shooter.

Dodo1610

Arcane
From what I have understood the devs want to make something like TB tactics Spellforce. Guess it come down to how well the traditional RPG elements like companions and quests with choices and consequences are connected with classic TB tactics gameplay of base-building, recruiting and fighting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
These kinds of hybrids don't work. Spellforce proved that 18 years ago.
I like the Spellforce series. You can check out my retrospective. It's got a lot of problems, but the charm outweighs all of it. Besides, Spellforce is unique in its attempt to mix the two genres, we need another game to try the same with different fundamentals to see whether a different approach would be more successful. I remain neutral about this Disciples until I learn more.

Gargaune

Magister
In all fairness, D2 already had a couple of RPG trappings in its mini-armies, hero equipment and perks and D3 took that much further with its stat system (while mauling almost everything else). A new Disciples 2 with more RPG elements, like dialogue C&C and branching objectives, could be lovely, but it sounds like they're taking the opposite route and making some kind of RPG with Disciples elements. And it looks like the stellar Disciples art direction isn't one of those elements.

Lacrymas

Arcane
To be fair, every strategy setting/game can be turned into an RPG and vice versa. See Warcraft and WoW, Warhammer, Might & Magic, etc. There's no reason why an RPG set in the Disciples universe wouldn't work. I'm not all that familiar with the lore, though. I vaguely remember everything being very grand and epic in its cope, so we'll see how they turn that into an RPG.

Gargaune

Magister
To be fair, every strategy setting/game can be turned into an RPG and vice versa. See Warcraft and WoW, Warhammer, Might & Magic, etc. There's no reason why an RPG set in the Disciples universe wouldn't work. I'm not all that familiar with the lore, though. I vaguely remember everything being very grand and epic in its cope, so we'll see how they turn that into an RPG.
Sort of, it's a divine affair but the game doesn't get too bogged down into it. In any case, it sounds like you might be due a replay of Disciples 2, in which case you'll want Verok's OpenGL wrapper. Obviously, you should replay all the campaigns, but if you only have time for one, make it the Undead Hordes, it's got a nice vibe of romantic tragedy about it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
These kinds of hybrids don't work. Spellforce proved that 18 years ago.
I like the Spellforce series. You can check out my retrospective. It's got a lot of problems, but the charm outweighs all of it. Besides, Spellforce is unique in its attempt to mix the two genres, we need another game to try the same with different fundamentals to see whether a different approach would be more successful. I remain neutral about this Disciples until I learn more.
Yes,starforce games are fun and luji is showing his retardation once again.

Blake00

Learned
I was so excited when I discovered this yesterday as I thought the series was dead forever... however yeah I'm very worried this is going to suck bad.

I can accept the 3D art in the shots shown AS LONG AS there's a GUI filled with all beautiful 2D Gothic artwork that fans have come to expect in the series.

If that's gone and this is just some colourful 3D models running around with the brightness and contrast turned down (cause that totes makes it dark fantasy) then yeah... dumpster fire... As the stunning gothic portraits & artwork in previous Disciples games helped players connect more with their heroes and monsters as opposed to other similar games that made units feel like soulless 3D model fodder.

They also really dicked up the screenshot selection for the new steam page as there's not one top down adventure map shot.. it's all side on close up stuff resulting in all these confused and angry fans in the forum asking if the game is a action RPG hack and slash lol. Meanwhile you go over to the facebook page and there's multiple top down adventure map shots HERE and HERE (albeit very zoomed in though) from MONTHS AGO that they could have used. Someones dropped the ball lol, as who on earth announces a new game in a TBS STRATEGY series and doesn't put a single gameplay adventure map shot on the steam store page??.. first impressions are everything..

Graphics concerns aside.. they've updated the steam forum FAQ to give more info on gameplay.. is it just me or is there a lot of "no we won't be doing that" in there lol. Kalypso must have given these guys the lousiest budget and they probably blew most of it in on that confusing CGI trailer lol. No Mountain Clans (again lol), no scenarios, no map editor, no mutiplayer, stuck with one female hero for the entire game, no mission based maps connected through a campaign.

So basically you play as one hero exploring a giant super map hiring random creatures to battle super monsters.. hmm.. Sounds familiar?

That awkward moment when the devs were meant to announce 'Kings Bounty Liberation' & accidentally call it Disciples instead.

Should we all tell them about their mistake or just let them figure it out themselves lol?

Lacrymas

Arcane
It doesn't look terrible and reminds me of an idea I once had - get rid of the troop count in HoMM/King's Bounty style games and instead make them single units with their own abilities, i.e. more like a tactical squad-based game than the wargame abstraction they are currently. Now that I think about it, Disciples was always like that somewhat.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's so weird how back in the day Disciples was so cool because it allowed you more spell usage on the map, but now none of it is shown. Curious angle.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm sorry, I'm just not feeling it. I really wish I did, but the closest I got was that Legions terrain.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Now that I think about it, Disciples was always like that somewhat.
Yes, it always was and Disciples 3 already implemented the "tactical" combat system seen here.
It's shocking how inconsistent the art style is: some creatures are very appropriate to the setting while others look like out of some random Chinese mobile game with WoWesque aesthetics. And of course, the woman must sport a side cut, the mark of a stronk female in the world of Disciples (ever since G*rmans took over, I guess).
It's hard to guess who are they trying to appeal to; after 11 years, one expansion pack and a remake this still looks way too similar to Disciples 3, not exactly a fan favourite -but with even less of a link to the Strategy First games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yesterday's quiet preorder announcement:

https://blog.kalypsomedia.com/en/di...ypso-lowers-prices-and-passes-saving-to-fans/

DIGITAL GAMES MARKET BOOMING: KALYPSO LOWERS PRICES AND PASSES SAVING TO FANS
kalypso_Discord_Splash_v3-750x290-1-520x201.jpg

New policy in effect with pre-order for upcoming fantasy title Disciples: Liberation

The Kalypso Media Group has today announced a new price reduction policy for all of its titles moving forward. The policy arrives as a result of constant shifts in the video games marketplace, a further move toward digital sales, and the noticeable and ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Kalypso has confirmed that its sales are doing well and that, moving forward, the resulting profit margins will be passed directly back to the players in the form of a lower baseline price for all titles.

We have been able to increase our digital sales and, above all, margins in recent months, while physical sales in traditional retail have slumped due to the COVID-19 situation. Currently, we do not expect this trend to reverse even after the pandemic. Most of our fans buy or stream games, primarily, digitally, so it is very likely that sales of physical products will continue to decline, saving us costs in manufacturing, logistics and distribution,” said Simon Hellwig, CEO of Kalypso.

In the past, new release games from the publisher have launched with a recommended retail price of €49.99/$49.99/£44.99 for PC and €59.99/$59.99/£54.99 for consoles.

We would like to reward the loyalty of the community by partially passing on the higher margins as part of permanent price reductions,” said Dr. Anika Thun, Global Marketing Director at Kalypso, adding that “the entry price of a full-price product in the standard edition will be no higher than €39.99/$39.99/£34.99 for PC and €49.99/$49.99/£44.99 for consoles on launch day. In due course, we will also be reducing the prices of current top sellers such as Tropico 6, Port Royale 4 and Spacebase Startopia.

Included in the reductions is the publisher’s upcoming dark fantasy strategy title Disciples: Liberation which, alongside the most recent iteration of the company’s flagship franchise Tropico 6, stands as the largest Kalypso production to date. PC pre-orders for the game are now live at the Kalypso Store for 15% off, as well as Steam and the Epic Games Store at 10% off. The ‘Standard Edition’ of Disciples: Liberation set to release in Q4 of 2021 for €39.99/$39.99/£34.99 on PC and €49.99/$49.99/£44.99 on consoles.

Customers will also be able to purchase the ‘Deluxe Edition’ of the game for €49.99/$49.99/£44.99 (PC) or €59.99/$59.99/£54.99 (console) with additional bonus content.

Disciples: Liberation is an expansive and content-packed title which would justify a much higher retail price. However, we believe that despite high production values, we are right with our pricing policy and can continue to inspire our community for Kalypso products,” adds Hellwig.

Kalypso has implemented the price reductions from 1 June, 2021 and will continue to roll out the policy as more products are launched.

The preorder discount lasts until October 8th, which probably tells us when they're aiming to launch the game.

Blake00

Learned
Watched the gameplay video and damn.. this actually looks like a fun game I'd play and enjoy but the problem is it's NOT Disciples. It's King's Bounty mixed with Diablo & HoMM. They're games I love but dropping the gothic artwork for a more HoMM/KB cartoonish look for all heroes and units is a huge loss to this series. They say dark fantasy but its just KB & HoMM with a bit more darkness. Disciples visual style was all about the gothic side of dark fantasy. I wonder if it's a consequence of Canadians doing it instead of a eastern European country cause those guys know Gothic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
39 dorra? Will wait for a deep sale. Also, those screenshots feature a lot of skulls.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I wonder if it's a consequence of Canadians doing it instead of a eastern European country cause those guys know Gothic.

You do realize that Strategy First, the studio behind the first two instalments in the series and hence the franchise as a whole, was Canadian, right? Whereas the lacklustre D3 was made in Russia…

I'm not crazy about how it seems you're only controlling one group as opposed to many. Seems more like they're doing their own take on the original King's Field with this, instead of the kind of Ogre Battle and Heroes of Might and Magic kind of thing the original Disciples games seemed to be playing off of. That last video of the game does have me kind of interested in seeing more of it though, which is more than I can say any of the other looks at the game have done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom