Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples: Liberation - "a new beginning" for the series

Repressed Homosexual
I was quite suprised in the bus today in Quebec for a meeting, that in the old town downhill, I passed right in front of the Frima Games studio, the company who developed the game. They have a huge Disciples: Liberation banner plastered on their front glass windows.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
So how's the game?

Schizofrenic, Combat is good, UI is made for console, Somebody cut out a Prolog and you literally start assembling someone sort of Demon,Undead,Human,Elves (Dwarwes are pointedly still MIA in their mountains) after about fifteen minute tutorial and on the other hand dialogue while meh seems to actually remember your actions, so for example i tried to convince the priest im just sewer cleaner and it got reflected on first map with first conversation then in another with a bard etc, When i killed tax collector which was one solution for sidequest, Priestess in another sidequest mentioned that and was pissed etc, so even sidequests seem to atleast it terms of dialogue react organically. so imho Executive medling and mediocre but enthustiastic developers resulted in something that will make you want facepalm one moment and have you preening pleased in another. due to weirdness in which dialogues are voiced and which are not it imho leads me to think this was rushed forward, should have been in oven for two more months atleast and added prolog that would explain things.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

First time for everything lol. Just downloaded the game from the local docks and clicked the instal icon.....turned out that it was game launcher lol.

Which rock thou have crawled from that this is your first time seeing portable preinstalled pirated game ?

CaesarCzech

Scholar
so apparently elves buildings are bugged since one of them is getting rewarded as it should, also from what i heard from spoilers apparently even sidequests can impact sidequests way down the line i foresee it will take longer to have complete walkthrought with list of this stuff than Pathfinder Kingmaker did. also apparently Protagonist can flirt even with things like bone golem, so if bugs are fixed it looks to be decent game through writing is all over the place, Honestly i would liked to have seen their consequence system how they programed it into the game because unless they setup each quest outcome having its own tag i cant figure how they did half of the shit they are busy doing.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Played the demo for a bit. I have to second all the steam reviews saying it's p much a mobile game. First thing that came to my mind when playing it was puzzle quest 2 or whatever that was called. I guess mobile game feel and design seeping into AAA-ish games is a thing now, same happened with Evil Genius 2.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
Schizofrenic
I have been playing the game on and off since it was released and this is the best description of it. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not only the UI that makes it seem like a mobile game but the mechanics too, with hourly resource collection and freemium splash screen when you combine emotion shards and timers in places where they have no reason for being other than if you could buy fake game currency to speed them up.

The game makes a big deal about the story, with actual C&C and the like, but it is like 20 hours in and I still don't know what the plot is supposed to be. What are my motivations, what am I even doing? You have a hole slew of companions and only parts of their dialogue is voiced, it wants to do the Blizzard RTS thing with talking heads but the budget ran out before they got even half of it voice acted? And they all have Bioware style companion quests, with choices. You also gain and lose standing with the four factions but it never makes any sense. If you do something that would seem to benefit one faction you get minus points with that faction. It does not make any sense at all.

For whatever reason you can sleep with what seems like 20 people so far. And the story takes off after Disciples 3, which very few played. The art direction is also a step down from previous titles, lacking the gothic flair.

Despite that it is janky, runs on the Unity engine and the story is incoherent to the point where you have no idea what you are doing from the start to the midgame and maybe even the endgame, the game does have a lot of effort put into it. The city screen might have the feel of a phone game but it has a lot more effort put into it than the 2D city screens of HoMM VII. The environments are fairly good looking and there are many units. Some quests are bugged but the game does give you the freedom to approach things how you want. You are given a choice in how to deal with situations and companions. You can kill pretty much anyone you want to.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
i tried to convince the priest im just sewer cleaner and it got reflected on first map with first conversation then in another with a bard etc
Not only that, but when you meet the guy later in the game it is brought up again. I don't know how you can write a story with all these reactive parts and C&C but forget to tell the player why they are playing the game, why you go around with an army and killing people. Humanity has risen! is there something in the water over there?
Only people? No Big Bad Wolf or gargoyles?
I only sniffed the big bad zombie wolf, but you can get laid with monstrosities too. Like with a giant big titty zombie milf or fat cultists, or frost elemental women. There was too much fucking for me to keep track of. Two full blown orgies so far.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
why they are playing the game
I only sniffed the big bad zombie wolf, but you can get laid with monstrosities too. Like with a giant big titty zombie milf or fat cultists, or frost elemental women. There was too much fucking for me to keep track of.
That is not the character motivation. You don't fight people to get laid. For some reason you just start amassing a huge army in your personal city that you portal into. Sleeping around is more of a side thing and often done before combat. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. It would be one thing if you started out with the city and some goal of conquering the world or getting revenge or any sort of basic plot point. Even the mission of simply getting laid with as many fantasy creatures as possible would be better than the black hole in place of a plot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1287840/view/3101284846825176204

Disciples: Liberation Hotfix 1

Disciples,

we are happy to announce that, as promised earlier this week, Disciples: Liberation has received a first Hotfix right now on Steam. Based on your feedback since launch, this solving bug and quest issues, including fixes for the 'Mana Tree' blueprint not being unlocked as well as for an issue that prevented class selection for Avyanna for some players.

It also addresses an issue with unit morale (Legion of the Damned), a bug that caused units to be stuck with zero HP after re-loading a savegame and the quest issue for 'The Cared for Caravan'.

Thank you very much for all your support and your constructive feedback, that helps us improving the game. We will continue to collect your feedback, while we are working on the features we promised to add after launch, like more global battlefield effects, and discussing your feedback on the overall difficulty.

See you in Nevendaar,
your Kalypso and FRIMA team

Fixes
  • The 'Mana Tree' blueprint can now be unlocked as intended.
  • Fixed an issue where in some cases Avyanna's class was reset to Mercenary and the respect option in Yllian did not trigger the class selection.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the morale of Legion of the Damned units to drop to -2 in battle, despite having an honored standing with that faction.
  • Fixed an issue that in some cases resulted in being stuck at the victory screen after conquering a resource building.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the 'Temple of Seasons' blueprint from being unlocked when breaching Strongpeak by force.
  • Fixed a bug where the player could keep a unit if they revived it with the 'Call of the Grave' spell and ended the battle before the unit's doom timer expired. Doomed units are now always killed when combat ends as intended.
  • The skill ‘Twilight Might' now increases the corresponding values of unholy and divine resistance as intended.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game to become unresponsive and made the HUD options in the fight against the Inquisitor Regent disappear when frequently hitting ESCAPE.
  • Refunding Avyanna’s skill points from the skill tree now always returns the correct amount of skill points.
  • Fixed an issue where players were able to choose the 'Wait' option for Avyanna while casting the 'Wall of Thorns' spell during combat.
  • The 'Earth Spears' spell can now damage grounded enemy flying units as intended.
  • The ‘'Teamwork’' skill now shows the correct value for resistances.
  • Fixed a bug that caused units to have 0 HP after reloading a savegame that was created while players were staying in Yllian.
  • The tooltip that appears when comparing items while holding SHIFT no longer disappears when the mouse is moved.
  • Fixed several sources for crashes and freezes.
  • Fixed several localization issues – e.g. in the Simplified Chinese version.
Quest related Fixes
  • Fixed an error in the quest 'The Cared for Caravan' where Bagthal was removed from the squad after interacting with the NPC Pierre and the battle could not be completed without him.
  • Fixed a bug that after completing 'Plain of Slights' in Wotan's Grave, prevented the following quest to talk to Orion from being triggered in some cases.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the fight against Cink in the location of Wotan's Grave to trigger a second time, after the first one was completed.
  • Fixed an issue where after completing the quest with the priest 'Into the Twilight', the game did not recognize the quest as completed.
  • Fixed an issue where declining the quest with 'Mother Jehanne' in the region 'Plains of Widows' lead to completing the quest.
  • The quest 'The Spirits of What Were' in the Whitelands can now be completed correctly.
  • The correct victory condition is now displayed when the Holy Prior is defeated in Sebastien's quest. It no longer displays 'Defeat' despite all enemies being killed.
  • The portrait of the Spleen Collector is no longer missing during the quest 'Demonic Duel'.
  • Fixed an error in the ‘Homecoming’ quest where both Illmerens were assigned to the enemy force, preventing you from adding her to your front line as requested.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1287840/view/3141819146937060576

Disciples: Liberation - Hotfix 2

Disciples,

Hotfix 2 has just arrived for Disciples: Liberation on Steam, Epic Games, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S. This fixes a problem with the main quest in Wotan's Tomb as well as an issue with getting stuck at the Nexus after teleporting.

The update also fixes an issue where enemy units sometimes failed to finish their turn.

Please bear with us while we work on further improvements and the features we’ve promised in our roadmap.

Enjoy your time in Nevendaar,

Your Kalypso and FRIMA Team

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the player would not be able to continue after skipping the credits in Liberation Mode.
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible to progress after teleporting to the Nexus.
  • Fixed an issue where enemy units didn’t complete their turn and the battle couldn’t progress any further.
  • Fixed an issue in the region of Wotan's Grave that allowed an enemy warden unit to move further than intended.
  • Fixed an issue in the region of Greyleaf where Avyanna could get stuck after using a gateway.
  • Fixed an issue that a gate environment asset was not displayed within the Atellean region.
  • Fixed a graphical glitch in the Sacrist’s Chambers dungeon where the blood did not fit properly inside the blood pool.
  • Fixed an issue in the region of Wotan’s Grave that prevented the highlighted animation to be shown for the NPC La'freygr.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in Avyanna moving out of bounds while sitting on a horse when navigating with mouse and keyboard at a low frame rate.
  • Fixed an issue where Avyanna's horse would spin on the world map without the player being able to make the correct inputs.
  • Fixed an issue where it was not possible to progress past the last phase of a secret boss battle.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented unlocking all the skill tree related achievements after successfully completing the required conditions.
  • Fixed an issue where a battle in the Lair of the Dread Queen quest repeated itself endlessly when choosing to fight the undead.
  • Fixed several localization issues for all available languages.
Quest related Fixes
  • Fixed an issue within the region of Wotan's Grave, where completing the quest "Plane of Slights" did not always trigger the follow-up quest to speak to Orion. Players who are currently stuck on this issue can reload the savegame and the quest will reappear automatically.
  • Fixed an incorrect dialog option that occurred in the quest "Here Lies the Living" with Sebastien.
  • The text that appears when checking the chest in connection with finding the scarf while talking to "Lohier, Defender of the Lows" will now be displayed.
  • Fixed an issue that made it impossible for some players to complete Mathieu’s quest in Veranto'or.
P.S: We saved the best for last!
  • Diffculty Levels confirmed in a future update! More info coming soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
GameBanshee review: https://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/125754-disciples-liberation-review/all-pages.html

Introduction

Developed by Frima Studio and published by Kalypso Media, Disciples: Liberation is the latest entry in the Disciples series that up until this point existed to answer a simple question - what would happen if you took the over-the-top gothic grandeur of Warhammer, turned it up to eleven and mashed it together with Heroes of Might and Magic?

Liberation then is different in that it's more reminiscent of the King's Bounty series where you control a single hero that goes around the map collecting quests, items and resources, and fighting an ungodly amount of turn-based battles.

And with the recent King's Bounty II going in a more cinematic direction, you might be wondering if perhaps Liberation could become the proper successor to King's Bounty: The Legend and its sequels. If that's the case, or if you're just curious about Liberation, you can find our thoughts on this particular title below.
Remember Bethrezen? He's Back. In Pog Form!

What with the genre shift and the game sporting a subtitle instead of a number, you may be forgiven if you confuse Liberation for a soft reboot of some description. But this is not the case here. The game is a direct continuation of Disciples III, with plenty of connections to the earlier entries in the series.

And while this is certainly a bold move in this age of endless remakes, it's not necessarily a good thing. Soon after launching the game, you'll realize that its tone and style are nothing like the earlier Disciples games where even elves looked like they started their day by bench-pressing tree trunks.

Instead of this epic tale that kind of looks like a Rembrandt painting, you have what's essentially a young adult story about two mercenary assassins whose primary concerns seem to be getting their hands on some booze and coming up with the perfect zany one-liner.

After a bit of just that, we get introduced to the bigger picture where the game's four races (Demons, Undead, Humans, and Elves) are sick of getting involved in their respective deities' squabbles, and so they now want to go all Nietzsche and kill their gods or otherwise break free from their control. And our protagonist Avyanna, being the product of a union between an angel and a demon that happened back in Disciples III, is uniquely positioned to facilitate this global liberation.

Which isn't that bad of a story, considering the series' lore. It's just that the game's irreverent tone and its never-ending barrage of quips all but ensure that none of that stuff lands, and any semblance of tension gets immediately diffused by some timely exchange about the virtues of demonic ale.

And while I was far from a fan of Liberation's story, things weren't all bad in that area. I was actually surprised by how many choices you get to make, and the way they send ripples through the game.

Liberation is essentially separated into three acts, and each of those has 4-5 expansive areas associated with it. You get to choose the order in which to tackle these areas, and as a result, the developments in the earlier areas will change some interactions in the later ones. Furthermore, a good few of your decisions in the earlier acts will determine the encounters you get later on. And that's not even mentioning how the areas themselves saddle you with plenty of choices and more than a fair share of opportunities to double-cross your employers or play both sides.

I'll be the first to admit that the game managed to surprise me with some of its twists, like that time you're hired to help a farmer who's being robbed by the rebels and taxed by the church. If you decide to do the guy a solid and kill all his enemies, he ends up dead because, for all their racketeering, the church was also providing him with protection. And many hours of gameplay later, you'll meet the guy's cow who'll ask you to kill him and feed him to her (since this is a modern game that tries to be funny, I'm afraid humorous cannibals are a must). But if he's already dead, he turns into a zombie and the cow refuses to eat him. And this is just one minor quest chain in one of the areas.

All of this decision-making isn't just for show. The game's four races each have a reputation meter. If you raise it, the units belonging to those races become stronger when fighting under your banner, you get access to new skills, and the ability to construct new buildings back in Yllian, a city of angels that acts as your home base.

Most of the game's quests will allow you to increase or decrease your reputation with the races, and more often than not, pleasing one race makes at least one other mad at you. During your first playthrough, you'll probably be able to max out relations with one of the races, and that's it. However, after you beat the game, you'll unlock what's essentially a New Game+ mode that sends you back in time and tasks you with maxing out relations with everyone with the help of some new dialogue options. Doing so is supposed to unlock some secret boss fight and ending.

Speaking of dialogues, the game has that thing where the options you get to click express the general idea of what your character is about to say, but at least it has the decency to clearly mark the attitude of each line. You get friendly replies, angry replies, inspiring replies, romantic replies. So many romantic replies.

You know how RPGs tend to have romances and some people love them while others can't stand them? Well, Liberation is on a completely different level in this department. Sure, you can have a romance with one of your companions (you get two for each of the game's races, plus your starting childhood friend). But pretty much everywhere you go, you get opportunities for casual hookups that the game delights in describing to you.

But the funny thing is, as much as I usually want to have nothing to do with RPG romances, here that stuff tips over into the "so bad it's good" territory, where I couldn't wait to see what weird sexual encounter the game will throw at me next.

Do You Guys Not Have Phones?

Apart from being more promiscuous than Hugh Hefner in his prime, Avyanna has a character sheet with four primary attributes - Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence. These increase her damage, health, critical chance, resistances. The usual. Unfortunately, the attributes are borderline cosmetic, as you can't manually increase them. They just go up on their own as you gain levels.

You can also raise your stats by equipping armor, but doing so will put you face to face with the game's itemization system. And that's very much a gazing into the abyss type situation.

You see, Avyanna can wear armor (helmets, breastplates, pants, and boots), weapons, and these so-called Emotion Shards that offer unique combat-related bonuses. Her companions get access to weapons and Emotion Shards. And regular units can only equip the shards. And here's a quick quiz for you. Given the above, which type of item do you think is the most common drop in the game?

If you said Emotion Shards, congratulations, you have more faith in the world than it deserves. The shards are a relatively rare drop. Then come the weapons. And most of the drops you'll be getting, which happens after just about every fight and when opening chests during exploration, will reward you with a color-coded armor piece. You'll be drowning in armor no one but Avyanna can wear, and pretty much all of it will be worthless.

Early on, you'll occasionally get some item that's significantly better than what you're wearing, but once you start discovering Legendary gear with special, sometimes party-wide, properties, you'll have no reason to even look at the regular stuff you find.

And sure, some of the regular items can have better stats than your Legendary gear, but here's the kicker. Raising your stats grants such negligible bonuses, you'll be hard-pressed to even notice them.

When I just started the game, I found a set of gear just sitting in my inventory that was about ten times better than anything I could find in the game at that point. I was a bit confused but figured I missed some explanation and put all that overpowered stuff on.

Then I discovered that the game's combat was ridiculously easy. I looked things up, and it turned out that my review copy was the Deluxe Edition that comes with a set of strong starting gear, five extra skill points, and a bunch of free resources. To be honest, I thought the age of pay to win DLCs was over, and the idea that that's where that gear came from hadn't even occurred to me. But upon realizing this, I unequipped all that stuff and started using the regular green garbage I was finding during my travels. And then I proceeded to not notice any discernible difference in my combat performance. Sure, I may have been doing slightly less damage, but everything died way before that became relevant. And even though the developers have already promised to expand the game's difficulty options, when I played it, Liberation had pretty much zero challenge.

Thankfully, the game's skill system actually has a purpose. You have three meaty skill trees, one specializing in melee combat, one that's all about magic, and the third has a bit of both plus a bunch of army-related improvements. The trees are reminiscent of the early World of Warcraft talent trees where you had minor increases leading into big juicy abilities. The twist here are the powerful threshold bonuses you unlock upon investing a certain number of points into a particular tree, and the fact that certain skills only become available if you have good standing with the game's factions.

The game also has classes. You start as a basic Mercenary but after a few story events are promoted to a Warlord, Hexblade, Seeress, or a Witch. Later on, you'll be able to improve your class and unlock some new abilities, and at any point you can completely respec and try a different build.

The trap here is playing anything other than a full spellcaster. The game has four extensive magic schools, with some spells being so overpowered, they one-shot just about any level-appropriate encounter. And you might think you don't need this in an easy game, but you really do.

Before we get to why, allow me to explain how Liberation's combat works. While the game is structured in a similar way to King's Bounty, in the signature Disciples fashion, instead of replenishable troops, you recruit individual units separated into four tiers. Each of the game's factions has three unit-producing buildings you can erect back in Yllian, with each building housing 4-5 unit types.

This allows you to experiment with your party composition a great deal, especially when you also consider the fact that apart from the regular troops you can have up to two companions with you on the battlefield, and three units in the backline that don't directly participate in battles but can still help out a lot with their support abilities.

The game has a pretty interesting take on the 2AP system, where you have three different types of action points. You can spend your blue AP to move, the red ones to attack, and the rare gold kind can do both. More advanced units tend to favor the gold AP, while the early ones can usually only attack once per turn.

But, as opposed to the earlier Disciples games, early units don't evolve as they gain experience here. They just become stronger with each level, which creates a situation where even the lowly tier-1 units can have thousands of HP and pose a theoretical threat in the late game. They'll just be very boring about doing so.

The game's act structure comes into play here, making it so you only get access to the stronger units as you advance through the story, and the enemies you face mostly follow the same pattern. And seeing how there are only faction units in Liberation and no unique neutral ones, it won't take long for you to get sick of fighting zombies and cultists while only using zombies and cultists of your own.

Companions are a great help here, as they obliterate just about everything in the early game. They become more fragile around the second act, but by then you're able to hire some decent units. And once you reach the late game, you unlock spells that just win battles for you.

And you'll love them because of the game's biggest flaw. My earlier issues with Liberation can easily be overlooked or just be seen as funny or silly moments, but this one is completely unacceptable in a game where you'll be doing a lot of fighting.

The animations in Liberation are extremely, excruciatingly slow. The game has a slider doubling their speed, but that doesn't help much, because the problem isn't the animations themselves but all the waiting you'll be doing. The game can only play one animation at a time, and between each of them is a delay. Not an issue when we're talking a single battle. But over time these delays add up, souring the entire experience.

At the same time, the game's underlying combat system is actually pretty solid. Clever positioning can turn the tide of many a battle. Just about any unit has access to status effects that can synergize in interesting ways like your snipers always critically hitting slowed targets, or a certain summoning spell requiring a number of enemies to be frozen to work. You can even find special named units that have much better stats than their regular counterparts, incentivizing exploration.

But seeing how the game lacks any challenge, you don't really get to flex your tactical muscles and utilize the full potential of the combat system. Nor would you want to, because, with all the animation delays, you'll just want things to be over as soon as possible.

And that's even when you consider the fact that you can instantly win most optional fights by using the "Conquer" button. I was using that button at every opportunity, and even so, my playthrough took me about 40 hours. And if you want to see that secret ending, you'll easily double that.

If you think I'm mentioning my playthrough length purely to set your expectations, you are mistaken. The game's areas, apart from offering you quests, dungeons, loot, and enemies to fight, also have mines you can capture. And you might be wondering, with the game not being turn-based during exploration, how do mines work?

They work in real-time. After you capture a mine, it starts working for you, gradually filling a reservoir back in Yllian. At certain intervals, that reservoir fills up, inviting you to drop what you're doing, go back to base and claim your resources. I honestly have no idea how a mechanic like this could end up in a PC game.

But hey, at least you can always instantly teleport back home by pressing T. But only when you're outside. Because not having to run back all the way through a cleared dungeon would just be too convenient.

Basically, the game has some really neat ideas, but it's like the developers gave up on them halfway through and fell back on what they knew, which is console and mobile games, leaving us with a game that works but doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense.

Nothing exemplifies this better than the leadership stat. Every 5 levels you get 5 leadership points allowing you to recruit a bigger or more advanced army. Only the game's four tiers of units cost 10, 20, 30, and 40 leadership respectively. Meaning that increase of 5 leadership does literally nothing and can not benefit you in any way whatsoever. It's just there to give you another number that keeps going up on its own.

Technical Information

On the technical side of things, the game was clearly designed with a controller in mind. As a result, navigating its many menus is way more annoying than it needs to be. The biggest offender is having to hold the mouse button. When you do it to upgrade your buildings, it's no big deal as you don't do that very often. But should you ever decide to organize your inventory, which means disassembling the countless useless armor pieces you've accumulated, you'll have to individually select every one of those, then hold the button for a few seconds and watch a quick little disassembling animation. After a while, you just give up and accept your new life as a hoarder.

Other than that, when accessing the menus, you have to first go through a close-up animation of your character screen for some reason, and that gets annoying fast. And to cap it all off, you can open your map by pressing M, but to close it you have to press Escape. It's just a million little things all coming together to make your experience marginally less enjoyable.

At least the game runs pretty well (except for one particular endgame fight). Plus, I didn't encounter any major bugs other than the game's logic glitching out occasionally and forgetting my earlier choices. There also was a skill I thought didn't work right, but I can't be entirely sure on that one.

Apart from having nothing to do with the original Disciples style, the game's visuals are quite pretty, especially when it comes to landscapes. Its unit models on the other hand vary a great deal, where some of them look pretty good, while others wouldn't seem out of place in Heroes of Might and Magic IV.

The game has limited voice-acting, but there's still a lot of it. I wouldn't have minded if it was more limited. Basically, let's just say if this was a game about a college lacrosse team, then its voice acting wouldn't seem out of place. But when those soft-spoken voices are coming from demons and cultists, it's pretty much impossible to take them seriously.

And don't even get me started on combat barks. I'm actually not joking when I say that at some point I started choosing my party composition based on a combination of how annoying a unit's voice was and the length of its attack animations.

There's also a multiplayer mode where you can assemble a squad and fight a friend or some stranger on the Internet (I waited for a few minutes but couldn't find a game that way). But if you remember Disciples as the series with great skirmish maps and hot-seat capabilities, this installment is not it.

Conclusion

Disciples: Liberation has a framework of good ideas buried under a pile of questionable design decisions. It would need a lot of adjustments and rebalancing to be satisfying on a mechanical level, and even then, we'll be left with a tonal inconsistency with the rest of the series.

Get this game only if you'd like to know what happened to the world of Disciples after it became a parody of itself, or if you're really desperate for a game in the vein of The Legend branch of the King's Bounty series.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1287840/view/3139568705187835901

Difficulties Ahead - A Disciples: Liberation Dev Diary

In the following blog post FRIMA Studio is taking you into their developers’ den, granting you some rare insights about how the team is working on the feedback we’ve received for Disciples: Liberation so far – giving you a glance into the crystal ball regarding an upcoming update, including the hallowed difficulty options y’all are waiting for.

Disciples,

Since the launch of Disciples: Liberation, the community – you guys – has been very generous with constructive feedback. First and foremost, we want you to know that we read your feedback, and we can’t even tell you how much we appreciate it and how much this helps us in striving to provide the best possible game experience for you.

One thing that keeps being mentioned is that the game can be a little too easy – especially for more experienced tactical players. Well, we heard you loud and clear and the team dived deep into the backbone of Disciples: Liberation to find out how we can address this.

We discovered a few things we’d like to share with you, as we feel that those might be the reason for this feedback:
  • The conquer function – which is meant to avoid trivial battles – is currently too generous and allows you to conquer battles that are not supposed to be that easy. On top of that, it has a snowball effect that allows you to gather XP fast, level up faster and conquer even more battles. This exploit seems convenient, but it can ruin the game by missing out on great battles and making it feel too easy.
  • We balanced the game expecting players to play the main quests and some side quests. It turns out that the majority of you clear most of the regions completely by doing the main quest and all side quests. As expected, completing a lot of quests means levelling up faster.
  • These two things put together lead to a situation where many players have a lot of power, especially towards mid and end game content.
    We intended to make this game very empowering and allow players to have very strong armies, especially as they reached the end. That being said, and based on your feedback, we came to the conclusion that the power level in real play might be too high and a little too fast to reach within the game balancing in place at launch.
So, here’s what we are currently working on and what you can expect in a future update:
  • A broader difficulty range in each region for more diversified - yet still manageable – challenges.
  • Conquer function will be made more selective, and battles against armies of equal level to Avyanna won’t be possible to conquer anymore. As intended, easier fights will still be conquerable.We will scale the general difficulty to make it more challenging, especially toward mid and end game content.
  • We are taking the opportunity to improve the balancing of boss battles as well which will make them more tactical. Players can expect bosses to pack a punch, so you’ll need to be ready for it!
  • City resources will be rebalanced and players can expect less trips to the city to gather resources as the vault's capacity will be increased!
  • And, last but not least: We acknowledge that every player has different taste and expectations when it comes to game difficulty- so with the planned free update, Disciples: Liberation will soon feature four difficulty levels available for new and existing (save) games alike.
4456ea05436aed80a01ce76d308d435335ec1cc2.png

You will be able to choose how you want to play your game, from the Story mode (easiest) which is a smooth way to explore and enjoy the grim world of Nevendaar, to the Brutal mode (hardest) which is for experienced tactical players looking for challenges, with tougher and more powerful enemies and which will grant no healing at the end of turns and battles.​
a0e670da2f60f57859ef92007c595af73182b279.png

8c929dd6b78e2c6ad7473c1c8eeaeedbcc96d783.png

29bad481af90574107b63d82f1fc911c2840a2cc.png

6cdc4db0828016448dd44ea13dcfcbc553b85a14.png

We at Kalypso and FRIMA are dedicated to Disciples: Liberation and working with and for the community is a priority. We are grateful for the support, enthusiasm and constructive feedback we’ve received from you and we truly hope you’ll enjoy these upcoming improvements. We’re looking forward to hearing your continued feedback!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1287840/view/5445412989036421699

Disciples: Liberation – Update 1.1

Disciples!

Disciples: Liberation just received Update 1.1 on Steam. Update 1.1 includes new features such as the highly requested difficulty options. Experience your playthrough in four different difficulty levels: Story, Normal, Hard and Brutal. Furthermore, you can change your combat speed to 300% from now.
We have also added the option to dismiss unwanted units. And of course, Update 1.1 fixes several issues – such as where the game could freeze in the last phase of a late game boss fight, and fixes issues with quests related to the Bard Mathieu.
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us, as well as your everlasting support and trust. We will continue to do our best to improve your journey through the depths of Nevendaar.

See you in Nevendaar,

Your Kalypso and FRIMA team

New Features:
  • Added Difficulty options: You can choose between “Story”, “Normal”, “Hard” and “Brutal”. The difficulty before this update matches the “Normal” difficulty level.
  • The Difficulty Settings can be changed in the gameplay settings screen or when starting a new game.
  • New Combat Battleground Interactables (Summoning Portal, Unstable Mana Shard) and Modifiers (Torment of Wandering, Grasp of the Abyss, Unstable Mana Storm) have been added.
  • New combat speed up option: 300% is now available.
  • Added ‘Dismiss Button' - players may now dismiss unwanted units by inspecting them outside of combat.
  • Summoning Portal: whoever is the first to activate all the magic symbols around the summoning portal will summon a powerful ally unit to the battlefield, which will join the player even after battle.
  • Unstable Mana Shard: Unstable Mana Shards can be destroyed within the battle to give a powerful buff to the players units. If Mana Shards are left untouched, they will explode in a spectacular fashion, dealing damage and applying debuffs to surrounding units.
  • Drag and Drop functionality has been added to both mouse and keyboard and controllers.
  • An option to disable the automatic combat camera movement has been added to the gameplay settings screen.
  • Slow motion kill effects have been added and can be toggled in the gameplay settings screen (the “combat slow motion” effect is enabled by default).

Improvements:
  • General balancing and design adjustments to Normal mode.
  • General balancing adjustments to Boss Battlesir.
  • Improved the feel of the virtual cursor in several interfaces. The virtual cursor's position is not reset to the middle of the screen when transitioning from different views.
  • It is now possible to adjust the combat speed while an enemy performs their actions.
  • Further balancing adjustments to the conquer option.

Bugfixes:
  • Fixed an issue where the game could freeze in the last phase of a late game boss fight.
  • Fixed an issue where Avyanna on horse could get stuck after using certain gateways.
  • Fixed an issue where the Avyanna's ability “Cosmic Blast” was misaligned within the animation.
  • When connecting a PS5 controller on PC, it now displays the correct controller layout within the settings.
  • Fixed an issue where it was sometimes only possible to use the mouse wheel to scroll the character's item menus while there were many items in the inventory. It is now always possible to move the selection by dragging it with the mouse.
  • Fixed an issue where quickly opening and closing the game menu in Yllian could cause overlap issues and similar problems in the menu.
  • Fixed an issue where training a unit after quickly clicking multiple times on certain menus would deplete resources but not increase the unit's level.
  • Fixed an issue in the dungeon “The Uru Mines” where an enemy Berserker's axe was in the wrong position.
  • The Infernal Golem's “Impale” ability animation is now synchronized with the opponent's damage indicator.
  • Fixed an issue in the fight against Gallean's Beast where the “Maze of Thorns” prevented some units from getting the “Thorn” ability.
  • Creating manual saves when using certain calendar systems now works correctly.
  • Updated and corrected the Japanese localization.

Quest related Bugfixes:
  • Fixed a bug that resulted in an empty map after talking to Orion during the “Return to Yllian” quest.
  • Fixed some issues with quests related to the Bard Mathieu.
  • Changed part of the dialogue in the quest "On His Dying Breath" in order to make sense within the context of the quest.
  • Fixed some issues within a quest with Sebastien after talking to Walkelin of Saint Darchild during "Return to Castle Hale". The quest can now be accepted and completed as intended.
  • Fixed a quest with Onfroi in the region "Plains of Widows" where the quest could not be completed if you chose not to kill him.
  • Changed the outcome of a dialogue after receiving the quest "Return to Feindel the Forger" and then talking to Feindel so that it makes more sense in the context of the story.
  • Changed the outcome of a dialogue with Sebastien in the quest "Here Lies the Living".
  • Fixed a bug where a text was displayed a second time in the dialogue with the "The Highfather" at "The Plane of Slights".
  • Fixed an incorrect NPC name that was displayed on the screen before combat in the quest "Doubles Crossed".

82f6ee7b0aa456fbd1d53cc4cde2ad3a6e18bc25.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
I've been playing Disciples: Liberation for the past month or 2 and here is my review.
I played D2 and D3 and in short, I think D:L is better than D3 and in some ways more fun than D2.
It's also slow as sin, ugly, cringy, unfunny, tedious and has many markings of the eastern europe jank.

Being a long time fan of Disciples 2, the first thing that I notice is how D:L is even uglier than D3. There is nothing left of the dark gothic style, even that last litle bit from D3 is gone. Now the game looks more like Homam or King's bounty or whatever else.
The camera is very zoomed out and the units look generic, boring.
Only after some tens of hours I started recognizing that many of the units actually resemble their D2 originals but without any of the larger-than-life gothic style.
Just remember the game is ugly and unremarkable and uninteresting in its graphical direction.

You get the hero Avyanna and a home city and the game plays like one large neverending scenario with 1 home town which is somewhere in the astral plane so you can teleport to it at any time. I remember King's bounty is similar to this I think. Once you finish a map the size of a smaller D2 or Homam map, you teleport back to your home town and can change to a different map with new quests. You can switch maps whenever you like but it took me some time to figure this out. When you've finished the current set of maps (usually 3) there is some story progression and new maps open up.

I don't know if you guys played D2 and D3 campaigns but from what I remember they got really boring and all the race campaigns were the same with the hero getting the same skills and perks and the monster unlocks the same in every map. I played all the campaigns and after the first, you knew exactly what would happen in every new map. So I'm glad D:L is different and honestly, this way is probably less frustrating and repetitive.

The gameplay is composed of questing, battles and home city managment.

The home city:

It's called Yllian. There are some 4 or 6 slots for buildings. 2 are blacksmith and marketplace and the rest are reserved for unit baracks.
Because your main character has a neutral race (Nephillim I think) there is no Demons campaign or Humans campaign - you can build any building from any race you like but because you have only limited slots, if you want to build something else then you can "phase out" the building for a small fee and when you change your mind again, you can phase out that building and "phase in" the previous one.

It's stupid as shit. There is no central overview screen like there was in Homam - citadel building, so you are always trying to remember which units you have from which buildings because only there you can also level them up. So when you phase out one barracks then you can' t level your current units from that barracks so if you don't use them in combat often they become useless soon.

All your buildings have 5 tiers of progression and give some bonuses and unlock new units depending on the tier.
The barracks buildings have their progression tied to 2 things - the story progression AND the diplomatic relationship your hero has with that race. It's frustrating as fuck because it means you try to do quests to side with Demons if you like demon units so that you get their buildings next tier unlocked but sometimes it means you go against Elves so you lose points with them and can't upgrade their buildings.

Also you can't plan anything, it feels like you're bouncing from one quest to another and get random bonuses to random races and you never know when it's going to be enough for a new level or what to do if you REALLY want to progress with one race - you just wait to get another quests that looks like it could help you. The diplomacy is tied to your conversation choices and there are many in every quest but you have no way of knowing which option helps which race. This is because in the story, every race also has some rebels fighting against it.
So I get lost if I'm helping Elves or helping the rebel elves or helping demons who are fighting the elves or who are fighting the rebel elves...
You see? Jesus Christ.
The story theme is I think "liberation from the old gods". It's really a clusterfuck. So many characters and twists and you must navigate the story to get the points with the race/faction that you like units from.
At the same time though, you are trying to roleplay Avyanna the independent liberator so often you say fuck off to both sides but as far as I can tell there is no Neutral path for the buildings.
The RPG dialogues vs the diplomacy tied to building upgrades is horribly dissonant and you wreck your brain what to answer in the dialogues and hope you get the right points.

In your city you get the unit upgrades - basically every building sells 1-5 units depending on its tier and also levels up that unit. Often you rotate your units so some stay behind with their levels and it's very simple to catch them up using this upgrade system and you aren't punished for experimenting.

Also another thing in the city is the resource managment. You capture mines across all the maps and they feed the resources to your main city's vault WHERE YOU MUST GATHER THEM MANUALLY EVERY REAL-LIFE HOUR OR THE VAULT FILLS UP.
It makes no sense and it's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Then there is the marketplace where you can only buy resources, not sell and the blacksmith where you upgrade artifacts and gems.

What happens is you get gazzilion of some resource and not enough gold and you can't really do much about it only fight more battles and wait for the vault to fill up from your existing gold mines. It's not unplayable but it's really retarded.

Then the rest of the game is the tedious combat system.

The combat:

Avyanna's army is composed of normal units from barracks, companion units who can't die and a 3 unit backline - you can put any unit in the backline and then it gives you some passive bonus during the battle. Or the unit can even shoot arrows or cast heals during the combat.

The size of your army depends on Avyanna's leadership stat - each unit takes some leadership points.
Usually some of your units die so you are dragging many extras with you and that makes the battles more varied and you can easily try out new units. Many units also join you during the game so that part is really nice. The companions are a bit better and have quests tied to them.
The combat system is almost the same like D3 - turn based 2ap system with unit initiative.
The unit health and damage grow together so there is not much bullet sponging but the combat takes forever because the animations have horribly long wind-up and wind-down phases.
I play with 300% combat speed and it's hell. This is my biggest complaint - the combat is too slow due to the animations being shit.
Later in the game as you get more units on the battlefield everything takes forever.

They tried to make the combat more fun - soon everybody is on fire, frozen, blessed, confused, blind, etc. Lots of effects.
What I appreciate is that the status effects have 1 rate and that's it. Physical protection is 15% and there you go, no upgrades no level 2 physical protection, no Better Physical protection. It's simple and so there can be many effects and you don't need to keep track of everything.
There is even some basic interplay between skills, like witches can explode burning targets etc. Really not bad and better than D3. Only it's exhaustingly slow.

Because the game is so long and you only have 1 character, there is quite a large skill tree with at least some little bit interesting active skills or passives like dodge, retaliation etc. Not bad!
Your companions don't get shit though.

There is also an inventory managment. Avyanna can equip helmets, boots, swords, gems, armors, etc and later upgrade them. You pick up lots of trash and sort through it all the time in a shitty screen to find the least shit item to equip.

So there you have it - almost a regular RPG. 1 character, 50 hours of character progression, items, lots and lots of dialogue choices with different quest outcomes - this is actually pretty cool, TB combat with elemental interplay. There is even some basic dungeon crawling! Multi-map quests, too.
Some of the dialogues are horrible cringe but some are honestly funny in how some characters are insane.

Writing this, I'm starting to think the game actually sounds pretty cool.
Too bad it's slow, ugly and janky.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
aww shit
Wonder why didnt i find that thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom