Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disciples of Steel Question

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any difference between the original floppy version and the re-released CD version?

Disciples-of-Steel.jpg

Original floppy version box

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Cd version box

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. I'd be interested if this is 2nd ed. as well. And is it any good? Thanks! :)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
One thing I remember wishing I knew before I played was to spend as long as it takes rerolling stats to get your casters primary casting ability as absolutely high as possible. Every single point matters. Unlocking spells is hard coded to your base int/wisdom/whatever and it's a massive pain to boost them so the higher they start the better off you are.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The abandonware sites rate it from “shit” to “shit, but good for what it is”. The more lenient write ups actually make it sound like a proto-IWD (make your own party) crossed with BG (wilderness maps abound).

What’s the deal with this game, forgotten gem?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not D&D, it's a homebrew custom ruleset. Vaguely similar to Wizard's Crown.

I think the CD version has fewer bugs but it still is buggy overall. Neat game though.

Does the CD version give the extra 1000xp to start at character creation? I think they patched it in post-release because people were complaining the game was too hard.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The abandonware sites rate it from “shit” to “shit, but good for what it is”. The more lenient write ups actually make it sound like a proto-IWD (make your own party) crossed with BG (wilderness maps abound).

What’s the deal with this game, forgotten gem?

I thought it was a brilliant game.

The Good:
Good character system.
Open, area scaled world.
Best DOS era combat along with Nahlakh and X-Com. Turn based and with pretty good encounter design.

The Neutral:
Hand placed loot.

The Bad:
Should have used menu towns since there's nothing (IIRC) to discover in towns.
Shop UI.
Last dungeon is bugged, but can easily be avoided if you know beforehand that it is bugged.

The Bad is really only minor annoyances, but the two first items will be very noticeable when you start the game, which made me quit the first time I played. I'm really glad I gave it a second chance.

Not a game for you if you "play games for the story". But if you like tactical combat you shouldn't miss it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Don't know about difference between floppy and CD version, but the original version was actually for the Atari ST. It may be worth playing on emulator; STeem is very user friendly.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
It had CD version? Damn.
Game is really, really great. One of the best Goldbox-style combat implementation that I saw.
There is a lot of information in these threads:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/anybody-ever-played-finished-disciples-of-steel.66265/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/lets-play-disciples-of-steel.66921/
Last dungeon is bugged, but can easily be avoided if you know beforehand that it is bugged.
Bugs here are overrated. It's mostly just a missing walls.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I assume it is only available on abandonware sites since i don't see it on GOG?]

Edit: Lol. I found it on my hdd, I had to to download it years ago from some abandonware site at some point, to play later, and forgot about it. Soon I'll have to approach my own computer as an archaeological site. Or at least as an abandoned long time ago archive.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had bootlegged disks from a shop a long time ago. Finished it once but my army wasn't the strongest. Still won but maybe there is more than one ending.
To start... Check out Brandon's Let's Play <----- clicky clicky

CRPG Addict plays. (List)

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/disciples-of-steel-2ph#download

Hell, DL IT ALL!
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/disciples-of-steel/release-info

Patch History
Jun 13, 1994
V 1.013 (Added Purge Poison to temple options. Now you can pay to have poisoned cured. Readjusted delay to extend length of time messages are displayed.)

Alternate Titles
  • "Disciples of Steel: Chronicles of Cyhagan: The First Tale" -- In-game title

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/581715-disciples-of-steel/data

Look Teela is having an identity crisis!
MfzXA1S.jpg

And I always thought this cover was a dying Lion-o
96649-disciples-of-steel-dos-front-cover.jpg

I could assume the Cd version is patched. I guess 1 CD over multiple disks.
351961-disciples-of-steel-dos-back-cover.jpg

96652-disciples-of-steel-dos-other.jpg

1632554952-485811404.jpg

The ebay prices.. fuck.

I was checking ebay manual pages of cd version and the pdf is correct so no color inside. The pdf of the DOS was done shitty though. I mean if it is b/w or close then trim the fuck out of any artifacting and make it look better. The extra border shit makes it print like crap. I should fix that or find a better pdf. Here's hoping we have all the lists.
NB2kiQd.jpg

f9FTbDA.jpg

Mol9kL4.jpg

w5mVHNc.jpg

hca9V7N.jpg

The Amiga version that wasn't
attachment.php

sqFY0u1.jpg

See page 22

disciples-of-steel_17.png

i didn't notice someone's game guide on mobygames.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Remember i said i got my disk version from a shop that "rented" games for use? I remember i scanned them. Well, i found some of the scans. I swore i had mage & illusionist as well but maybe the shitty used shop didn't have them. Here is priest though for another piece of the puzzle. I swear I'm going to redo this manual. It is shitty as is.
XoGNg2s.jpg

Plus the ebay screenshot
WUOJNpk.jpg

Oh and the 3 page Reference Card
VvPCmp5.jpg

JnDx1Sp.jpg

SYg5zPD.jpg

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! I searched and couldn't find them. I'll assume the copies of copies didn't have them. Damnit. We need the illusionist!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh look at this, more missing documentation in a CD version. The HINT BOOK!
39ShfvE.jpg

MPXEhnR.jpg

ZQclH2I.jpg

qnTRL9c.jpg

Eh... if I really really had some spare cash or get desparate maybe I'd buy both rge disk and CD package to scan these. That's a big $500 bill plus just to archive these digitally.

Getting spendy. Hey BIDEN! Send me some fucking cash you asshole! I don't want to sell myself as a hobo hooker.

And an old codex thread that helps not.

Oh, that wiki entry.

Gameplay
Disciples of Steel is a role-playing game.[1]

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
AHA! THANK YOU UNBOXING FOREST FRIEND!

zWk2X4a.jpg

jHxpCUw.jpg

So with all that one can reconstruct a decent manual and sheets. We don't have the hint guide but oh well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom