Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm surprised he didn't enjoy the story, I would have thought it would appeal to him

Tigranes

Arcane
I really can't comprehend why is Goral on a literal crusade against this game. Literally every post praising the game/objecting his arguments, at least those that he can get to, are rated 'No'.

Listen, some people are just born with an abnormally high level of DEUS VULT. They cannot let it go. It will not exit their body no matter how much they might try with various orifices. The DEUS VULT must thus find an object. In happier times, it is towards a great game that they devote their energies, cumming with gusto such that the less gifted might nod and agree.

These are not happier times.

prengle

Savant
im going to fucking say it right now, shout it from the motherfucking rooftops, disco elysium is a normie game!!!.... for normies

you heard me kasparov, you heard me arr pee gee codex, change my fuckin mind, i know you wont be able to because im right...

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
im going to fucking say it right now, shout it from the motherfucking rooftops, disco elysium is a normie game!!!.... for normies

you heard me kasparov, you heard me arr pee gee codex, change my fuckin mind, i know you wont be able to because im right...
What's a normie?

prengle

Savant
What's a normie?
the harsh reality is that collectively, we're all normies and we're blissfully unaware of it (except for me im clearly very special and nonconformist pls give me headpats codex)

going to eventually play the game and form my own conclusions like a bich but i have a backlog the size of the english language classic "The Subspace Emissary's Worlds Conquest" so i expect to play it in 2039 at the earliest

Egosphere

Arcane

What's a normie?
one who adheres to orthodox opinions that are in line with the majority's.

Prime Junta

headpants

here ya go little buddy

4324531554_2eeb81f9d9_b.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It seems like a great game for people who don't like RPGs (games filled with character building, combat and dungeons) but prefer these hentai adventures with stats (those have combat though) and Choice Of games where you click through dialogue options.

You're free to like or love this game but an RPG it is not and can never be. RPGs are about combat and building your character. For combat.

prengle

Savant
It seems like a great game for people who don't like RPGs (games filled with character building, combat and dungeons) but prefer these hentai adventures with stats (those have combat though) and Choice Of games where you click through dialogue options.

You're free to like or love this game but an RPG it is not and can never be. RPGs are about combat and building your character. For combat.
damn.... i love Planet Scape Tournament and the Sans Undertale Experience. therefore no truce with the furries must have been made for me specifically

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, those both have a lot more combat. I would say that in PS:T the combat feels a little tacked on most of the time, but in Undertale it is integral (though not influenced by stats much, so I am not sure that game counts as an RPG either.)

Egosphere

Arcane

I wouldn't say it's the lack of combat, but rather the misleading stat system that mires the experience. It gives you a lot of flavour text and a plethora of optional (small-scale) events that are reactive, but the major turning points in the story are immutable, irrespective of your build. For example: a lot of the motoric skills are handy in some situations, but they will not work for you when you need them most. The case can be cracked even when playing as an Int 1 brainlet, because other skills will take over and carry you through the story.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I realize this is different from many here, but I do not consider 'more flavor text' a good reward for a failed or won skill check, the same with more internal monologue. I can see how it might be appealing to some people, but it is not to me. In my opinion, rolling a skill check should more often than not lead to a serious change in the situation - not in some additional perspective, unless the added perspective is somehow plot relevant, or helps me see the whole thing differently.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
rng did touch him in bad places, happens to best of us
I don't think that's the case with Goral, since RNG is rather merciless in AoD. Unless you're implying that Goral is a masochist, or something...

Listen, some people are just born with an abnormally high level of DEUS VULT. They cannot let it go. It will not exit their body no matter how much they might try with various orifices. The DEUS VULT must thus find an object. In happier times, it is towards a great game that they devote their energies, cumming with gusto such that the less gifted might nod and agree.

These are not happier times.
Uhh, are you saying that DE isn't a great game? (No, I'm not saying DE is a great *RPG*, but a great *game*)

Nah, sir, I *FUCKING* love RPGs and I *FUCKING* love DE. DE had character building *and* non-combat gameplay mechanic (minus subterfuge mechanic) I personally never before seen in RPGs I've played, and I sincerely hope more RPGs in the future to take inspiration from or use DE's non-combat gameplay mechanic (again, minus subterfuge mechanic since Underrail takes the cakes here specifically) as a template.

I wouldn't say it's the lack of combat, but rather the misleading stat system that mires the experience. It gives you a lot of flavour text and a plethora of optional (small-scale) events that are reactive, but the major turning points in the story are immutable, irrespective of your build. For example: a lot of the motoric skills are handy in some situations, but they will not work for you when you need them most.
What part of the stat system which misled you or is misleading at all? If you mean at some point in the story where every freedom is just thrown out of the window (upon finding a certain NPC and onward), then I can see your point. But the rest before it are nothing short of goddamn amazing, on point, and what it says on the tin.

The case can be cracked even when playing as an Int 1 brainlet, because other skills will take over and carry you through the story.
I thought we've (not me included at the time) already had this argument before? Having 1 *Intellect* in DE isn't the same as having 1-3 INT in Fallout. Think how in Underrail and AoD they don't let you have ANY stat (not just INT) lower than 3 and 4, respectively. Or how in ATOM RPG, you can't have low INT. Or how (allegedly) they also don't let you have low INT in Titan Outpost. It's kind of the same in DE, having 1 Intellect doesn't mean the MC is a literal moron, because otherwise why the fuck would the RCM even consider taking MC into a Precinct? Just that he can't solve the case using his brain properly. I'm playing a Sensitive character right now, and I can attest that the experience so far is completely different than my previous Thinker playthrough (for example, I previously correctly identified the victim using my big brain alone, while in my current playthrough I completely skipped over those details and had to get it from witnesses).

I realize this is different from many here, but I do not consider 'more flavor text' a good reward for a failed or won skill check, the same with more internal monologue.
But it's the point with this game. If you've played AoD and understand how its non-combat gameplay mechanics works, you'll know. Everything that happens in the game is what's written on the text. I guess one could use that as an argument against the game's identity as an RPG, but if you've played the game properly and understand how it works you'll know *almost everything* that happens in the game is based on the MC's stats and skills, and that can't happen in any games other than RPGs.

In my opinion, rolling a skill check should more often than not lead to a serious change in the situation - not in some additional perspective, unless the added perspective is somehow plot relevant, or helps me see the whole thing differently.
Sir, if you've played the game, you'll know this is exactly the case with this game.

You might have realized it by yourselfand might have even embraced it, but I'd say it out loud for everyone else, that *for you*, "rolling a skill check should more often than not lead to a serious change in the situation - not in some additional perspective, unless the added perspective is somehow plot relevant, or helps me see the whole thing differently" is only true when there's combat gameplay mechanics or something similar involved.

Alphons

Cipher
First 2 min- wants RPG without combat. Next retards will want FPS without shooing.

:0-13:

I don't think you know it, but FPS actually stands for First Person Stare.

I'd understand the outrage if they took your ability to see, but shooting, really?

Egosphere

Arcane
What part of the stat system which misled you or is misleading at all? If you mean at some point in the story where every freedom is just thrown out of the window (upon finding a certain NPC and onward), then I can see your point. But the rest before it are nothing short of goddamn amazing, on point, and what it says on the tin.

Play it with int 1, and you'll still breeze past the case and put all of the clues together. Play it with motorics of 6, and you'll still get shot, even if you autistically plan your whole build around 'combat'. My build functioned in a way that went against what the stat system dictated. Throw in the probabilistic way of resolving each encounter and what you get is a chaotic sludge of dialogue and outcomes that feels unbridled. I finished the game and had no idea what role I played, because it certainly wasn't the one on my chargen screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom