Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Vatnik Wumao
Comrades of the revolutionary left and right against international (((capital))), comrade Atchodas.

DQMU6JoWkAAYWCV.jpg

That being said, there were no good guys in WW1.

Harthwain

Magister
never stopped aod from being accused of being a cyao

You can always accuse.

Calling AoD a CYOA is obviously retarded.
What differentiates CYOA from an RPG is your imagination and a system that governs the outcomes (doesn't have to be strictly combat though. Some people tend to think it has, because they associate RPGs with dungeon crawling, where the main focus is moving around and killing anything that tries to stop you. However, if that were true, then there wouldn't be skills for non-combat related stuff).

I've already heard arguments that "cRPG isn't the same as PnP, because you can't use your imagination!". My response: *Harthwain mimicks shock* O'rly? That's the reason why cRPGs are called cRPG, not RPG, although they are often shortened to RPG for convenience reasons, you know, for the 25% efficiency bonus when it comes to typing. Yes, cRPGs are more limited than tabletop RPGs, which is why they are what I'd call "scenarios" with fixed amount of content (this includes the number of options you have, how what you do is reflected in the world, etc.). So, turning a blind eye to how limited you are to begin with, it's mostly about what you can do. And what you can do is dictated by systems.

Now, there can be various systems. You know, a combat mode, a dialogue interface, etc. the usual works. By the way, I have yet to see an actual "conversation mode" that isn't the regular "pick an option from a number of pre-selected choices and X will happen" that works well (no, Oblivion doesn't count). Where I am going with this? Take Battle Brothers for example. They have a really good combat system and the persistence between fights makes for a really interesting experience, since you feel it isn't just a bunch of random scenarios thrown together. However, it's still not an RPG. Because RPG isn't purely about combat. So you can't just look at combat and say "this game doesn't have combat, so I declare it not being an RPG".

And Disco Elysium has combat. Yes, it has a single instance of it, which isn't amazing, but still. Combat in DE is done via the same interface the dialogue (and interacting with environment) is done. It's like a Game Master who's responding to your choices in the same way he's responding to pretty much everything else. You're presented with a situation, you make your call, you check your stats, make a roll and watch the outcome. It's not very much different from how the actual tabletop RPGs play out (again, save for imagination limitation coming from cRPG part). What makes it effectively different from other "proper" combat modes though? It's less fluid (just a single 2D roll) and less flashy than seeing actual combat animations in action, but other than that? Either you succeed or not. You could also make an argument for degree of success or failure (how damaged in the end you are, etc.). Other than that it's just all about the presentation.

Pretty much the same can be said about the entirety of DE's gameplay (not just combat). You could even turn DE into a DOS-like text-adventure with random rolls and you would get a pretty much the same effect. The funny part? Somehow you're overlooking that your fancy combat systems all boil down to pretty much the same: a bunch of rolls with some modifiers to decide the outcome. A stats' game. Yet it's DE who's worse here? Now, that's the real joke here.

So, yeah, I don't think Disco Elysium is a CYOA because of how it does things.

Egosphere

Arcane
Somehow you're overlooking that your fancy combat systems all boil down to pretty much the same: a bunch of rolls with some modifiers to decide the outcome. A stats' game. Yet it's DE who's worse here? Now, that's the real joke here.

I move a piece of plastic in snakes and ladders, so it's really just the same thing as chess..

Harthwain

Magister
Somehow you're overlooking that your fancy combat systems all boil down to pretty much the same: a bunch of rolls with some modifiers to decide the outcome. A stats' game. Yet it's DE who's worse here? Now, that's the real joke here.

I move a piece of plastic in snakes and ladders, so it's really just the same thing as chess..
Is your problem a fact that chess is chess and not Blood Bowl?

Harthwain

Magister
Is your problem a fact that chess is chess and not Blood Bowl?

I don't have a problem. I'm just calling a spade, a spade. DE doesn't have a combat system. Trying to pretend that DE isn't 'worse here' is just wild.
Worse than other cRPGs (as in: it's considered not to be a cRPG). It has a system the decides the outcomes. The same system that applies to both combat and non-combat, so... *Harthwain shurgs* ...it's a cRPG. It's obviously not as good as a dedicated combat game/cRPG, but it has combat, so claiming it doesn't is just false. This means calling it CYOA is false as well.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I’m very tempted to play a crazy drunkard who destroys bird statues because “the bird bitch had it coming”, but I’m enjoying playing it straight and trying to find out wtf is happening, too.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
What makes it effectively different from other "proper" combat modes though? It's less fluid (just a single 2D roll) and less flashy than seeing actual combat animations in action, but other than that? Either you succeed or not.
Now this is some far-out mental gymnastics routine. Spin it around all you like, "yes or no" does not equate to an RPG combat system. Abstract reasoning pushed to it's full extent does not equate to practical reality.

Harthwain

Magister
What makes it effectively different from other "proper" combat modes though? It's less fluid (just a single 2D roll) and less flashy than seeing actual combat animations in action, but other than that? Either you succeed or not.
Now this is some far-out mental gymnastics routine. Spin it around all you like, "yes or no" does not equate to an RPG combat system. Abstract reasoning pushed to it's full extent does not equate to practical reality.
You can create a very detailed set of rules designed specifically for combat, but at this point it's all about details. The fundamental reason for having arithmetic is choice resolution, and that can be achieved even with something very simplistic and holistic.

Kaivokz

Arcane
The humor in this game is right up my alley. 5/5 on that front. I come down on the "more adventure game or visual novel than RPG" side, but the amount of interaction you get with the various personality types is pretty awesome.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
What I'm curious about currently if they still will be posting here, now that they are much more popular and have a foot in with the game journos. I have noticed when popularity and success increase, most will leave Codex in the dust.

Hey Kasparov, are you gonna stick around now that you're famous?
Sure. I'm on a very long sabbatical from gamedev at this moment, but I drop by the forums every now and then. Soon after launch it became impractical to try and stay up-to-date with the discussion unfolding here in real time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What I'm curious about currently if they still will be posting here, now that they are much more popular and have a foot in with the game journos. I have noticed when popularity and success increase, most will leave Codex in the dust.

Hey Kasparov, are you gonna stick around now that you're famous?
Sure. I'm on a very long sabbatical from gamedev at this moment, but I drop by the forums every now and then. Soon after launch it became impractical to try and stay up-to-date with the discussion unfolding here in real time.
Then i take it that the second game will be made by a bunch of nazies. :incline:

Israfael

Arcane
Kasparov with all the rage around the acceptance speech, are you not afraid that the adoring "fans" will start searching your posts here at Codex to implicate that you are agreeing with the most extreme ... denizens of these forums?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom