Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Terenty

Liturgist
Still not an RPG.
You guys should go play a real RPG. Like Pathfinder Kingmaker.
I actually tried recently, but ufortunatelly it suffers greatly from WALLS of painfully generic and boring text. It's like the setting and the characters of the game were randomly generated in some kind of fantasy editor.

I'm sorry, but if you want to put a fucking book in your game make sure its interesting and engaging and your game's format supports it(like Disco Elysium for exame), or better yet, if your game is a hardcore rpg(like Pathfinder) then have a decency to make your dialogue and descriptions brief and to the point ala Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout, Arcanum.

Poe suffered from that, Numenera suffered and now Pathfinder unfortunately.

Last edited:

Erikkolai

Learned
I love how politically unbiased this game is. The devs kick in all directions of the political quadrant. It's rare to be self-critical like that, hard to tell what the devs truly believe. :roll:

Untitled.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I love how politically unbiased this game is. The devs kick in all directions of the political quadrant. It's rare to be self-critical like that, hard to tell what the devs truly believe. :roll:

This is post revolution bro, the communists already shot all the anarchists. Cindy is the last living one
While the political compass is a funny load of bullshit on a starsign level of usefullness in political discussion
the game still has an apparent left wing bias as discussed further up in the thread
but who cares really

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
As someone very early into the game, I would like to receive an answer to a minor question - is there any in-game reason why Authority, amongst all the Personalities, is the only one whose avatar is not warped/grotesque/abstract in any way?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
As someone very early into the game, I would like to receive an answer to a minor question - is there any in-game reason why Authority, amongst all the Personalities, is the only one whose avatar is not warped/grotesque/abstract in any way?

hAGBZED.png

IDK looks plenty warped/abstract to me, especially with the near perfect symmetry. Complete symmetry looks alien to people, but fits for authority.
Game never draws attention to it tho. I however felt like authority was one of the better stats in general. It gives a lot of suggestions which look really stupid at first but work out well when you pursue them. It is also rolled quite often in general.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

hAGBZED.png

IDK looks plenty warped/abstract to me, especially with the near perfect symmetry. Complete symmetry looks alien to people, but fits for authority.
Game never draws attention to it tho. I however felt like authority was one of the better stats in general. It gives a lot of suggestions which look really stupid at first but work out well when you pursue them. It is also rolled quite often in general.

Where did you get this? Source please.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
BTW I would be interested in how others rank the skills. Due to the strange nature of Discos skill suggestions I assume it will be a very different picture.

Intellect Skills:
Encyclopedia - because Wompty Domb research center is incredibly busted and gives you 5 or so free level ups with how often Ency is rolled

Drama - The stronger persuasion skill. Often gives you shit suggestions to lie for no reason, but is rolled often and often to good success

Rhetoric - Close to drama, stronger passive suggestions, worse active results

Conceptualisation - One very high check is needed for a massive and very good lore dump. Also more often checked than one would assume. Also Actual Art degree is almost as good as Wompty Domb.

Logic - Strong active rolls aswell, but you do not need a high roll, as logic tends to get relatively low DCs and a lot of passive mods from prior skills.

Visual Calculus - Rolled rarely and often to mediocre results. You just get some xp.

I had this as my main stat, generally happy with the decisions. Strong performances all around. Only one skill that felt underused

Psyche skills:

Empathy - Incredible passive skill, never led me wrong. Often a free get out of jail card in discussions

Volition - Governs your morale, also checked quite frequently

Inland Empire - Incredibly entertaining stat, can often do weird shit when checked.

Authority - About as good as the persuasion stats from Intellect, can often "Win" dialogues outright

Esprit de Corps - Cool trivia but rarely checked

Suggestion - Most misleading stat for passive checks, bad active checks. Little bitch has led me down and developed depression, I love that loser.

My second main stat. Potent top end, two very bad skills however. Mixed bag.

Motorics:

Interfacing

Composure

Savior Faire

Perception

Hand Eye Coordination

Reaction Speed

One of my low stats, so no long explanations here. I wonder how it looks for people with high motorics?

Physique was an absolute dumb stat so some shots in the dark

Physical instrument

Shivers

Endurance

Half Light

Pain Threshhold

Electro Chemistry

Prime Junta

I however felt like authority was one of the better stats in general. It gives a lot of suggestions which look really stupid at first but work out well when you pursue them. It is also rolled quite often in general.

It also goes gloriously off the rails if you max it.

KVVRR

Learned
I however felt like authority was one of the better stats in general. It gives a lot of suggestions which look really stupid at first but work out well when you pursue them. It is also rolled quite often in general.

What are you talking about? He's the most honorable skill of them all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

What are you talking about? He's the most honorable skill of them all.
Suggestion is the single best skill in the game:

"This was not about failure or success. This was always going to be horror. I should not have suggested it, and you should not have listened to me".

Gamezor

Learned
Still not an RPG.
You guys should go play a real RPG. Like Pathfinder Kingmaker.
I actually tried recently, but ufortunatelly it suffers greatly from WALLS of painfully generic and boring text. It's like the setting and the characters of the game were randomly generated in some kind of fantasy editor.

I'm sorry, but if you want to put a fucking book in your game make sure its interesting and engaging and your game's format supports it(like Disco Elysium for exame), or better yet, if your game is a hardcore rpg(like Pathfinder) then have a decency to make your dialogue and descriptions brief and to the point ala Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout, Arcanum.

Poe suffered from that, Numenera suffered and now Pathfinder unfortunately.

Gah this is why I couldnt get into Poe. This is disappointing to hear.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
How the FUCK are you supposed to discover the existence of SPINAL CORD without looking it up? It requires so many successful checks of completely different Skills it seems almost like a hidden "a-ha! you looked that up in a walkthrough!" easter egg from the developers.

Also, Shivers seems to be the only specifically outsider Personality within your head.

As to Physique - a lot of people are especially hard on Endurance, but one needs to remember - his main goal, his main purpose, is keeping Harry alive. And Endurance knows Harry absolutely sucks at keeping himself alive. Which would also explain Endurance's misogyny - it is perfectly aware that the source of Harry's self-destructive tendencies is a woman, and thus wants to keep the Detective away from them. Generally Physique is the only Attribute which contains Skills so in conflict with one another.

KVVRR

Learned
How the FUCK are you supposed to discover the existence of SPINAL CORD without looking it up? It requires so many successful checks of completely different Skills it seems almost like a hidden "a-ha! you looked that up in a walkthrough!" easter egg from the developers.

Also, Shivers seems to be the only specifically outsider Personality within your head.

As to Physique - a lot of people are especially hard on Endurance, but one needs to remember - his main goal, his main purpose, is keeping Harry alive. And Endurance knows Harry absolutely sucks at keeping himself alive. Which would also explain Endurance's misogyny - it is perfectly aware that the source of Harry's self-destructive tendencies is a woman, and thus wants to keep the Detective away from them. Generally Physique is the only Attribute which contains Skills so in conflict with one another.
Don't you just need high shivers + whatever you need in order to successfully become dance, destroyer of worlds? Maybe it's because I left it for almost last but I didn't have any problems getting it
plus the real hero of the Physique skillset is my main man Coach PI. He's the only one trying to keep Harry in shape and the only part of his past that he should keep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom