Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister
Only because the Disco people came out praising Marx.

Now you may think, no way, those journos can't be that fucking retarded, right? It can't be that simple.

Sadly, it probably is, and that Vice article is proof of it. They all rushed to praise the game because of their politics and no other reason, but upon actually playing the game it turns out things aren't as simple as they thought. That this isn't just a better made Sunset.
You are right. They aren't that retarded and it isn't that simple.

The chain of events was: the game is released -> reviews -> game of the year -> getting award -> praising Marx.

And anyone who plays the game should realize (if they have any brain matter left) that the game isn't praising communism whatsoever (which is even noted by the disappointed Vice review). Unless you consider THIS praising communism. Somehow.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You are right. They aren't that retarded and it isn't that simple.

I beg to differ, we are talking about those people:

All Disco had to do is project the right "image", the content of the game was besides the point.

No gameplay, lot's of story faggotry and the devs came out praising Marx (whether they were trolling or not is irrelevant, gaming journalists are not that subtle) and that's what made it game of the century in the eyes of those faggots, and also why it drew attention from the non-gaming press.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Clearly the reason why DE is praised everywhere eludes you.

It eludes me because this praise comes from people who have hitherto demonstrated they have no actual ability to understand or appreciate games whatsoever. The gaming press has been aiding and abetting the decline for years but suddenly they turned into prestigious connoisseurs overnight? Please.

Tigranes

Arcane

It eludes me because this praise comes from people who have hitherto demonstrated they have no actual ability to understand or appreciate games whatsoever. The gaming press has been aiding and abetting the decline for years but suddenly they turned into prestigious connoisseurs overnight? Please.

You know they've been fawning over pretentious games for years, right? What they can't ever comprehend is gameplay with meaningful failure states & difficulty.

Game journos consistently fail to figure out what is and isn't a good game. In other words, they are not a useful barometer either way. They are not guaranteed to praise bad games and criticise good ones. But people forget it whenever it's convenient for them to be able to say "LOOK JOURNOS LIKE IT SO IT MUST BE SHIT" / vice versa.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"LOOK JOURNOS LIKE IT SO IT MUST BE SHIT"

Yeah but i never said that.

I'm being skeptical of the possibility they liked the game because they actually understood its strengths rather than the fact the game, at face value anyway, seems to check all the right boxes for them.

Harthwain

Magister
I beg to differ, we are talking about those people:
You're overgeneralizing. Journalists may not be authorities or even smart, but giving an example of somebody with low IQ and presenting him as a model for the whole of human population is certainly not correct. And you ought to know that.

All Disco had to do is project the right "image", the content of the game was besides the point.
Again - what was "the right image"? From what I understand you didn't even play the game.

No gameplay, lot's of story faggotry and the devs came out praising Marx (whether they were trolling or not is irrelevant, gaming journalists are not that subtle) and that's what made it game of the century in the eyes of those faggots, and also why it drew attention from the non-gaming press.
Nah.

- The game is hilarious.
- It has good writting.
- It shits on everything.
- It allows you to act however you please.
- It strikes the right chords (the main protagonist, his sidekick, etc.).
- You can only notice what your body can notice.
- Your skills double as your companions.
- It has a good adaptation of PnP RPG mechanics that fit well within the gameplay.

But if you want to believe that praising Marx had an impact (or that Marx is even relevant in this day and age), then you do you, I guess?

I'm being skeptical of the possibility they liked the game because they actually understood its strengths rather than the fact the game, at face value anyway, seems to check all the right boxes for them.
Them, the people of the world and the Codex?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
- The game is hilarious.
- It has good writting.
- It shits on everything.
- It allows you to act however you please.
- It strikes the right chords (the main protagonist, his sidekick, etc.).
- You can only notice what your body can notice.
- Your skills double as your companions.
- It has a good adaptation of PnP RPG mechanics that fit well within the gameplay.

Those are the things a Codexer might appreciate about the game, but when did gaming journos become Codexian? How come they became good critics for this particular game, but not others? Have we forgotten about this?

https://kotaku.com/sunset-the-kotak...t,incredible depth behind simple interactions.

Harthwain

Magister
Those are the things a Codexer might appreciate about the game, but when did gaming journos become Codexian? How come they became good critics for this particular game, but not others?
Not sure why you think journalists have to be wrong about everything or that they "became good critics". Even a broken clock is right twice a day and - like I said - it's not just journalists who find Disco to be good.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Those are the things a Codexer might appreciate about the game, but when did gaming journos become Codexian? How come they became good critics for this particular game, but not others?
Not sure why you think journalists have to be wrong about everything or that they "became good critics". Even a broken clock is right twice a day and - like I said - it's not just journalists who find Disco to be good.

Could it be that the clock is working in the other way around? That they are praising a game that's actually good entirely by chance? That it's not that they can actually grasp why the game is good, it's just that out of a number of games that fit their criteria of what a great game ought to be, this one happens to be good, but that ultimately the quality of the game is secondary to the criteria in question (which also begs the question, what if the game had a Christian or a conservative slant. Would they still rave about it)?

I'd be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they had demonstrated an actual genuine critical sense on other occasions too, but they have been so consistently bad in the past that's it's hard to accept they may have genuinely got this one right. That Vice review clearly shows something of what i'm arguing is true, at least for some of those people. The dude went head long into the game thinking his communist bias was going to be coddled where do you suppose he got that assumption?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think you guys have reading comprehension problems.
It would be difficult not to understand your "criticims". You post the same shit all the time. Clearly the reason why DE is praised everywhere eludes you. But it's ok. Go back to your juvenile power fantasies and allow the adults to have their fun too.

haha yeah so mature i literally cried when i saw the big mantis at the end haha XDDDDD

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

You know they've been fawning over pretentious games for years, right? What they can't ever comprehend is gameplay with meaningful failure states & difficulty.

Game journos consistently fail to figure out what is and isn't a good game. In other words, they are not a useful barometer either way. They are not guaranteed to praise bad games and criticise good ones. But people forget it whenever it's convenient for them to be able to say "LOOK JOURNOS LIKE IT SO IT MUST BE SHIT" / vice versa.
Disagree, game journos actively like shit gameplay and shit writing, because it goes through the motions without making their heads hurt.

xantrius

Liturgist
The target audience of Disco Elysium ain't high level intellectuals, though I'd say most would appreciate it for what it is an see it as noble. Unless they have a superiority complex, are semi-blinded by hate or whatnot. And who would have thought that low level journalists would say low level stuff.

Alex

Arcane

(snip...)

To be fair, you don't have to understand any of that to review Disco Elysium.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"LOOK JOURNOS LIKE IT SO IT MUST BE SHIT"

Yeah but i never said that.

Yep.

I played the game, I love it, and I've read some big press journo reviews.

They don't really get it. They just heap praise upon it because it's the cool new thing, not because they actually understood it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/632470/view/4692147266512396135

One Year Anniversary
Celebratory patch and sale!
e7f8d74ef6360589a4807e6c69f077784fc90b47.png

We're wishing Disco Elysium a happy birthday as it's now one whole year old. And what a revolution it has been. Here are some numbers that help quantify the game's journey so far:
  • 3 new languages (and more to come)
  • 15+ patches
  • 15+ award wins
  • 40+ award nominations
  • 5000+ Discord members
  • 21,000+ Steam reviews

We're celebrating the occasion with the game's biggest discount ever. You can buy Disco Elysium at -30% off for a limited time! Tell all your friends who are yet to make a purchase (or gift it to them if you're feeling extra generous) so they can enjoy the experience too.

Discount Elysium isn't all we have for you today as we're also rolling out the new Language Switch feature. This lets you swap between two languages on the fly by simply pressing a button. You can choose which languages to flick between in the Options menu. We hope this lets you further enjoy the poetic richness of Disco Elysium's many tongues.

47503316885bf0e079745402ce596f17d880b180.gif

This is the latest update in a year of many for Disco Elysium -- and there's plenty more to come. We hope to continue improving the game as a way to thank you for all your support. Over the past year it has reached us in many wonderful ways so we'd like to share some of the highlights.
Art
Disco Elysium Fashion Zine
A spectacular fan-illustrated zine that puts Disco Elysium characters in familiar and new outfits.

Disco Elysium Big Bang
An online event that saw writers and artists pair up to create fan fiction and art to accompany it.

Games
Disco Elysium: Game Boy Edition
This is Disco Elysium (or, at least, its major beats) recreated as a Game Boy title.

Disco Dating
Wanna date Klaasje, Smoker, or Kim? Now's your chance!

The Cryptokiller Project
Keep an eye on this fan-made visual novel in development. We certainly will be!

Music
Revachol Dawn by Berlin Child

Disco is Dead by Berlin Child

Liquid Nights and Disco Lights by Miracle of Sound

To see more incredible fan art follow the community-run Twitter account @WhirlingInRags and/or search for #DiscoElysium on Twitter and Instagram. We're also in the middle of ‘Discotober’, which encourages people to create fan art and fiction, so to join in or simply check it out use #Discotober. We also want to shout out @DiscoExcerpt for giving people Disco Elysium quotes to get through each day.

There are far too many folks to thank individually for supporting us and keeping the community alive, but please know we appreciate every single one of you. To our Discord Mods & Community, to all our fellow developers, friends, streamers, and content creators… to everyone who has helped us or sent us messages of love and support, we thank you!

Many of you have been asking, 'what’s next?', and don't worry, we hear you! We’ll have more news soon enough.

eb17f1f1bf01d852dc628d83aa16090024151f8e.png

6dc26f11aa7cb29b9c851f4991facb7a93bedc65.png

66b406d0ff4600f9c9f3110b13bdb29008397d13.png

4b30f037b026e126175cc32fc9009434ecbfd6ea.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DLC taking place in the same area - confirmed!

BTW, Junta, I guess there is no news on that novel being translated?

Prime Junta

DLC taking place in the same area - confirmed!

BTW, Junta, I guess there is no news on that novel being translated?

Still coming along I hear. I don't know anything about release dates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom