Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

toughasnails

Locating it blindly is part of the fun though. Games like this actively encourage you to look and check everywhere.
Shouldn't be a problem if one is replaying the game and wants to min-max for fun. Not everyone has surplus of free time these days.

Latelistener

Arcane
I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with this game.

Okay it didn't run well on my previous hardware and we all know about the optimization, but I managed to get my hands on a new laptop with i7 12700H, 16GB of DDR5 and RTX 3070.

And you know what? The second mission, dips up to 30fps, runs like an absolute ass even at 1080p and doesn't even utilize CPU nor GPU above 50%.
By the way, if anyone is curious and will have any problems with this game on a laptop: there is a thing called MUX Switch usually presented on more expensive models.

You have to switch it so that the laptop will only use a dedicated GPU and not an integrated one. The problem with this game is that it sort of uses dedicated GPU, just not fully. This was really deceptive for me and I didn't think it could be a problem.

Also, none of the other games I've tested had any issues with this.

Zlaja

Arcane
Just recently finished the game and even though I enjoyed my playthrough overall I was pretty disappointed by how the game's story progressed/concluded. Spoiler below:

The game doesn't do a good job explaining many of the mysteries you encounter in early game. How did Delilah become immortal? Sure, they show the ritual and say her soul was trapped in an effigy of hers, but they don't explain how the hell that was possible. Done by Breana because she's somehow a witch drawing power from the void. But how, lol? Also, how did she even cling on existing in the void and escape normal death? They just said she somehow ended up in the same place in the void as the outsider. But how, lol? And the explanation of the outsider's existence was also lame. He just SOMEHOW woke up in that part of the void after being executed and....yeah.

By the end, you're no wiser on these mysteries than you were in early game. Not saying everything in the game has to be perfectly explained, but the entire early game is filled with these set ups. Your main goal is not just to get back on the throne, but also to get some answers. But you get none, really. And all the poorly done explanations come down to "it just works".

Only mystery done well was the crown killer thing, IMO.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The story is garbage in all three Dishonored games. In the first game I expected a betrayal and tried to deduce the culprit in advance, but gave up when I realized I had no idea who these flat characters were or why they would betray the cause. Even dumber is of course how every game expects you to care about the Empress when she died just as you met her, five minutes into the game. Or about Emily in the first game, kidnapped at the same time before you even get to know her.

They're great games though, with a great setting and atmosphere, fun game mechanics and occasional brilliant level design (especially in Dishonored 2).

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Funny thing, I felt more connection with Thief's characters (even Karras, who, up until the end, always looked like he was trying to compensate for something) even though they tend to appear in cutscenes rather than in-game. I felt :( when Viktoria died and genuinely bad for Garrett at the end of every game when all he wanted to do was be left alone, only to be pulled into some evil scheme/prophecy. Never really felt the same connection for Corvo or Emily, even though Corvo is like a cooler, edgier version of Garrett.

It's amazing how LGS managed to present dry exposition in such a captivating manner.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny thing, I felt more connection with Thief's characters (even Karras, who, up until the end, always looked like he was trying to compensate for something) even though they tend to appear in cutscenes rather than in-game. I felt :( when Viktoria died and genuinely bad for Garrett at the end of every game when all he wanted to do was be left alone, only to be pulled into some evil scheme/prophecy. Never really felt the same connection for Corvo or Emily, even though Corvo is like a cooler, edgier version of Garrett.

It's amazing how LGS managed to present dry exposition in such a captivating manner.

Thief's minimalist briefing cutscenes have an amazing mood to them, which really helps you get into the world and story.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I'm so glad they tell me what my playstyle was at the end of every level! It really makes me feel like I can play the game MY way and it's still VALID! :happytrollboy::kingcomrade:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Thief's minimalist briefing cutscenes have an amazing mood to them, which really helps you get into the world and story.

The way Thief uses sound in gameplay, for immersion, as well as to accompany narration, is still unmatched in videogames as far as I'm aware. This in itself is quite a thing.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Honestly, I tried to give this game another chance, and I just don't understand it. I played on Very Hard difficulty because otherwise it's too easy to kill everyone. But on Very Hard, it's STILL too easy to kill everyone, except now every single guard can immediately identify Emily by a rogue strand of her armpit hair from 6 miles away, even standing on a rooftop in complete shadow. This is a stealth game? Where's the challenge? I feel like fags who enjoy this game are just savescummers who try to get the Ghost checkmark on every mission, instead of just rolling with the punches like in a good game. You can't even say that going low chaos is where the challenge is because you can knock people out in combat now, when you couldn't in the first game. And even if you couldn't, it'd be retarded because I vastly prefer the high chaos dialogue and story.

Should've just made combat way harder to incentivize stealth. But I guess that way, :kingcomrade: wouldn't be able to feel like he's "playing the game my way!!!". I hope Arkane goes bankrupt.

Zlaja

Arcane
savescummers who try to get the Ghost checkmark on every mission

:smug:

rolling with the punches

putin-vladimir-putin.gif

Spukrian

Savant
I don't Ghost, because I don't think it's fun. If I get discovered, I just run and hide and wait untill things have calmed down. But I've found that a vast majority people instead choose to fight. Presumably they think running and hiding is boring, but I still find that a bit odd...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't Ghost, because I don't think it's fun. If I get discovered, I just run and hide and wait untill things have calmed down. But I've found that a vast majority people instead choose to fight. Presumably they think running and hiding is boring, but I still find that a bit odd...
What I found in Dishonored 1 was that failing forward wasn't real fun either as the seams really become visible outside of stealth. One of the later levels was kind of hard to ghost and I was getting bored with the game so I after an alarm went off I just stood in a doorway and shot guys in the face one by one as they all raced to the scene. Then that section was empty of threats so I just openly walked to the next area.

Full disclosure, I didn't come anywhere near finishing D2 as it was so hard to stay motivated. It all felt like more of the same.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Slaughtering people in Dishonored is sort of like therapy for me. It's the only game I played when I had COVID a few months ago.

Coming back to this after a few years and greatly enjoying it now that it doesn't run like a dog anymore.

Superb art direction and great atmosphere/levels. Stephen Russell is the icing on the cake.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Stephen Russell is the icing on the cake.
Eh, I don't get it. I think he sucks in this game. One of his first lines is that utterly cringe "what will I have to become?" Corvo just sucks as a character, and Russell's voice doesn't save him. Makes him worse, even, because it reminds me of Garrett, a far, far superior character. Except Russell didn't sound like a sleepy old man when voicing Garrett.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom