Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored debut trailer [Bethesda teaser]

Nattvardsvin

Learned
The trailer is just pre-rendered shit. This isn't a fucking movie. Learn to have gameplay in your trailers you stupid fucking retardos.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Forgot about DCotE, that actually was pretty good. However, that was before the Oblivion days when their publishing quality had a few hopeful elements in them. There was some legal trouble with the designers of DCotE and Bethesda, iirc, which is why we never got a sequel.
This is what Mobygames says about the developer of DCotE, Headfirst productions.

"Headfirst Productions, established in 1997 as the separate development wing of Adventure Soft Publishing, was run by Mike Woodroffe and Simon Woodroffe, the developers behind the original Simon the Sorcerer games. Both have a long pedigree of quality adventure and RPG titles dating back to platforms such as the Spectrum and even the BBC Micro. The company was located in Sutton Coldfield, England.

The company released Simon the Sorcerer 3D in 2002, but then sold the entire franchise to Silver Style Entertainment e.K. in December 2005.

Their last game was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the Xbox (2005) and Windows (2006). It had been in development for 6 years, of which 2 years without the backing of a publisher and with unpaid wages. In February 2006, the company announced only a few people remained to finish the PC port of the game. The other announced titles, Destiny's End (working title: Tainted Legacy) and At the Mountains of Madness, were cancelled and the company went into administration. Previously, various developers had already left for Codemasters, Bioware and Eurosoft."

Don't know how accurate this is, but it seems like the developer was already dead when Bethesda came in. Anyone know more details about the history of the developer and the game?

An At the Mountains of Madness game would've been great.

Actually that is more correct. The development dragged on for years and in the end, no one was left.

So it's not Bethesda that is to blame.

There was a lot of information in the official forum call of dcote, where an endless discussion ran until release, but it seems this has gone too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I've always been curious how the minds of a marketing department works. Why don't they just release material as soon as it is done? The trailer clearly didn't have its final approval today, just like Skyrim was finished long before 11/11/11.
When stuff would change during the project, people would expect the broken original stuff. It would only cause problems to developers by creating wrong expectations.

Its also France with outfits/uniforms similar to those of Gendarmes and Cuirassiers. Its like germany in terms of Automobile design. Its like Britain in terms of General facial structure and features like Mustaches.

I assume you looked at all images from Dishonored before you replied.

Car design in 1600? Really?

It was a typical British closet totalitarianism. But you can show here each image one after another, and discuss it in details.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guys, I'll be doing an interview with Arkane's Harvey Smith (no introduction needed, I guess) and Raphael Colantonio (of Arx Fatalis fame). So if there's anything specific you want to ask them, suggestions are welcome. :)

Peter

Arcane
Guys, I'll be doing an interview with Arkane's Harvey Smith (no introduction needed, I guess) and Raphael Colantonio (of Arx Fatalis fame). So if there's anything specific you want to ask them, suggestions are welcome. :)

Holy shit, that's amazing! Brofists to them for agreeing to do the interview.

I'd be curious to know how the stealth system works. I don't think they've talked about it in any of the interviews. Will there be light and darkness mechanics? Different surfaces making different sounds? etc. How in-depth will the systems be? Also, it'd be cool if they could give examples of some stealth-related powers you have at your disposal.

Also ask about level design. Will it be wide open levels like in Thief and Deus Ex, or somewhat open linear levels such as in Dark Messiah or Human Revolution?

And I guess it's be interesting to hear their thoughts on the :decline: in popularity of games of this type. The 90s and early 2000s had quite a few of these, courtesy of Looking Glass and Ion Storm, but since then only Arkane has really tried carrying the torch. Also, do they think the genre might regain popularity with games such as Human Revolution and Dishonored being released?

also will there be an Arx 2? :oops:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I guess you probably shouldn't ask them what it's like to work for the toddfather's turd compiler so how about...

"What have you done to set Dishonored apart from other titles so it isn't remembered as a generic FPS-styled game with a powers/magic gimmick? (examples being Timeshift, Bulletstorm, Singularity)"

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wanna know how open the levels are. Deus ex? Invisible war? Alpha brotocal? or perhaps modern warefare 3? :(

Will there be a demo? when can we expect in game trailer?

I'm bad at asking good questions.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Second on stealth system mechanics. Also, will there be an inventory like in DX1 and Arx Fatalis or will it be more Thief like?

Burning Bridges

inventory / items is a very good question

I wanna know how open the levels are. Deus ex? Invisible war? Alpha brotocal? or perhaps modern warefare 3? :(

Will there be a demo? when can we expect in game trailer?

I'm bad at asking good questions.

in the "real" gameplay video they were already talking about the geometry of levels, it really didn't sound like they were making this up.

TripJack

Hedonist
LOL a game company owned by bethesda/zenimax that in the last 10 years has a made a grand total of 2 games. Both of which were mediocre. And some of you fucking morans are practically creaming your pants over this shit?

what the fuck happened to this site

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
LOL a game company owned by bethesda/zenimax that in the last 10 years has a made a grand total of 2 games. Both of which were mediocre. And some of you fucking morans are practically creaming your pants over this shit?

what the fuck happened to this site
Oooh... need to beee soo fucckinnggg edggyyy...

Fuck you and the lame horse you rode in on. My reasons to like Arkane are: 1. Arx Fatalis 2. The fact that they employed Digital Nightfall (one of the best Thief FM level designers ever). Now fuck you jackass. Bet you played grand total of zero Thief FM-s and still call yourself a gamer...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

How much theirs studio have to say into hiring team members?
How much artistic freedom they received from Zenimax?
Would these missions have Arcanum like freedom of movement, or Alpha Protocol like freedom of movement?
When the first few images were released it looked like an assassin being disposed of by person from government who hired him because the assassination caused inconvenient backslash, now it looks like a bodyguard was thrown into jail because he didn't prevent an assassination. Why so cliché story?
What would happen when player would do something unexpected? Would it break scripting?
How would you describe story depth and twists? Is it like Pandora Hearts: "Oh Jack, what are you doing?"? Or is it like Bioware twists in ME3?
What was the most interesting design element in that game from his point of view? Aka what he is proud the most and he was considering the most interesting to design.
What part he enjoyed the most?
Is it Arcanum done right?

I guess it's somehow simplistic, but you get the idea.
You can try also:
Do you like rats? All these animals in the game...
Do you know Geist? Was it an inspiration?

And stuff like that.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Don't waste time asking them questions about the story. Story was something Arkane never did well, or at least never prioritized.

Just wanna know how open the level design is gonna be, and what the AI's capabilities will be. Also who does the sound design and who is the composer?

Roderick

Savant
yeah, ask about:
openness, level design, AI, stealth (is it based on lighting?) and combat mechanics (will melee be like Dark Messiah?i hope it's kinda like that),about sound design, if there is an inventory, is there a dialogue system? (i think i read the protagonist is mute and decisions are from actions in the world), is there a stat system?, what limits the use of the powers (which seem potentially game breaking and overpowering even if cool), have Bethesderp and Zionmax had much imput?(hope not).Make them go somewhat in depth about their game mechanics

you may also ask about that game they put on hold, The Crossing, or other projects they might have and if they would do a kickstarter game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What was the most interesting design element in that game from his point of view? Aka what he is proud the most and he was considering the most interesting to design.
What part he enjoyed the most?.
this should be interesting

Burning Bridges

If there's still time, could you ask them what they think about Arx Libertatis?

They released the source code, so they will be happy to answer that question.

It would however also ask about the reasons for the open source move. Could be interesting (it happened about the time when they started work on Dishonored, if I am right).

Burning Bridges

you may also ask about that game they put on hold, The Crossing, or other projects they might have and if they would do a kickstarter game.

Ask about Arx Fatalis 2, and if they are still going to do it one day.

What I know is that DMoMM was initially going to be Arx 2, but later they had to turn it into a casual game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom