Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches

Vibalist

Arcane
I wanted to start a new thread for the two DLC expansions released for Dishonored, as I feel they deserve their own thread. I just finished the second one, Brigmore Witches, not five minutes ago, and it's really, really good. The two DLC packages are part one and two of the same storyline, and for anyone who thought that the story of Dishonored was kind of, well, shitty, this is something way better. You get to play as Daud this time (voiced by Micheal Madsen, so that's a bonus right there) and the storyline this time around is just so much more intriguing than the main campaign's save the world bullshit. It's like they took a cue from Obsidian and made the story personal rather than epic, which is so much more fitting for a universe like Dishonored's.

The new levels range from decent to very good as well, with the first, second and fifth missions easily the best, with some pretty damn good level design and many, many ways of completing them (both in terms of how they're navigated and how you solve the various objectives). And if nothing else, it's almost all worth playing for the deliciously evil and poetic non-lethal way you can despose of the expansion's main villian. I'm serious. If nothing else, go watch a video of it, it's great. Spoiler alert
You turn her into an inanimate object that remains conscious (and completely paralyzed) forever.

Having the whole storyline play out like an almost noir-ish detective story (with Madsen's great voice overs serving as mission briefings almost ala Garret in Thief) rather than what we got in Dishonored proper really added that last something to a game I already consider pretty damn good, so if you liked Dishonored (which I'm thinking maybe 15% percent of you did, optimistically), go get this DLC (Knife and Witches both, obviously. They tie together so well I can't help but consider them just one package even though they are sold separately). The price for both is pretty steep considering they amount to somewhere around 10 hours of gameplay, but what else can you expect from modern DLC, right? If nothing else, get them from alternative sources.

Anyway, that's my fanboy rant over and done with. Have any of you guys played it? What did you think?

EDIT: And before I forget, I've been meaning to advertise this difficulty mod that I've been playing with since I got Dishonored in the first place. It increases the ai quite a bit, which is very, very welcome: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141188

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The two of them put together are really an old school expansion pack too, and for $20 total. Good deal, good content.

I think they show the Dishonored team is making little improvements we will all respect and enjoy. The DLC is a little tougher, the areas are a little larger and more open, the missions themselves a little more involved. Each DLC has two huge new missions and one minor rehash one. The four new missions are easily among the best in the entire game (though I would say my favorite mission overall is still the first big open one in the main game).

I have high hopes for Dishonored 2, especially if they set it in a new region of the game world.

Vibalist

Arcane
I agree totally. Dishonored has gotten a lot of criticism around these parts (sometimes justified), but it's one of the few newer games that I've bothered playing more than once. Some things it does almost as well as Deus Ex. I'm thinking of level design and the accommodation of various playstyles especially, and you're right, the expansions manage to expand (heh) these areas and make them even better (with the exception of the rehash levels, I agree, though returning to Coldridge was a lot of fun).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree totally. Dishonored has gotten a lot of criticism around these parts (sometimes justified), but it's one of the few newer games that I've bothered playing more than once.

Well most of them solely focus on the game being too easy, which is my only real complaint as well. When that's all the Codex can come up with to bash you're game, it means you did a pretty damn good job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom