Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

distant worlds

razvedchiki

Erudite
so i finally managed to get into the game and is there a way to copy paste en mass ship/base designs?having to manually update all the designs (both state and private) every time drives me nuts!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Take your punishment for spending money like a man.

Anyhow how changing three designs immediately, and few others when you have nothing better to do screws you up?

razvedchiki

Erudite
not really but it doesnt bother me too much now.

also did anyone experience the out of memory ctd?i have 8gb of ram in 64bit windows 8.1 and i get the out of memory ctd every now and then.
i also get a mega-out of memory ctd after a while,it fucks up my whole pc (other games dont start,videos dont play) and i have to uninstall distant worlds and reboot 2-3 times for my pc to come back among the living!
i use large adress aware but it doesnt seem to help.

Citizen

Got this from gog, tried in wine and win machine - not working. Needs IE and windows mediaplayer installed. :retarded:

Citizen

Why do you bother with linux for gaming bra?

It doesn't even work on my win, I don't have internet explorer and winplayer installed. I have a feeling that these things are only used by game's launcher to display some news/play videos, so, maybe, if it's possible to skip it, I can launch it without actually installing this crap. Would try it later.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do you bother with linux for gaming bra?
Because not all of us want to suffer the shitfest that is Windows while almost every game (especially older ones) works just fine on linux using Wine.
Almost every game that I am interested in that has come out recently or will be coming out supports linux natively or just runs on Wine.
Most games that come out without supporting linux don't even go to my wishlist - which has helped reducing it to a size of "maybe I can play most of these in this lifetime" (still over 60 games...).
Only very, very rarely do I have to switch to Windows anymore - only for games I consider must haves that happen not to run on linux. And for work, unfortunately.

Your uninformed opinion on linux gaming might be that it is some weird impossible thing, but that isn't true anymore since years. And constantly improving, still.

Got this from gog, tried in wine and win machine - not working. Needs IE and windows mediaplayer installed. :retarded:
Well... doesn't installing IE and WMP on your wine prefix work?
Either way, that's kinda crazy, at least the IE part :lol:

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
its just isnt for everyone.
For everyone, exluding DAUs, it actually can be. The times when everything had to be done from console are long gone, now that is needed very rarely and when it is, it just means "copy this line to a console and you're done".
Sure, I still often use the console, but that's because it is more efficient for me (typing faster than clicking), but I wouldn't have to.
Talking about the most friendly distros like Mint or Xubuntu (they suck at naming, though :lol:), it is about as simple as using a Mac (which makes sense as that is essentially a fancy linux distro with a hefty price tag).
Most people are just too lazy to get out of their comfort zone for a single moment*. Those who do almost never turn back (unless necessary).

* Which I can understand. It took me many years to finally try out linux, and it wasn't until a job assignment actually forced me to.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
also did anyone experience the out of memory ctd?i have 8gb of ram in 64bit windows 8.1 and i get the out of memory ctd every now and then.

I get crash often and, in big games, 10 min to save.

Citizen

It starts fine without launcher and intro movie turned off.

rezaf

Cipher
its just isnt for everyone.
For everyone, exluding DAUs, it actually can be. The times when everything had to be done from console are long gone, now that is needed very rarely and when it is, it just means "copy this line to a console and you're done".

That's only a small part of the truth, though. The amount of things that just work (tm) is by far smaller than in windows. You CAN deal with most of that stuff, often it isn't even very complicated, but it's still a fiddly process. Some people actually ENJOY this process, because it gives more control than windows (and immeasurably more control than Apple software), but Gaius is spot on, it's good in it's own way, but not for everyone.
You know, like building a huge model of the death star out of legos. Everyone can go to Bricklink or whatever and buy the 800 bucks worth of bricks, download the building instructions and assemble the monstrosity ... but that's also not a suitable pastime for everyone.

Epsilon

Cipher

It does work in WINE. You have to do "winetricks dotnet40 xna40 mdx lucida gdiplus wmp10 ie6" in the prefix and it works, but without support for the ingame music. That can be played on a seperate media player though - the vanilla music in the game isn't very good anyway.
But the Launcher will work, and you can do this in a 64bit prefix as well for large galaxy maps.

Allyriadil

Educated
For those on Linux, there's also GPU passthrough available if you have an integrated and dedicated video card. Wincucks will run in a VM where it belongs like a raging toddler.
It's still the most comfy way to play vidya on Linux instead of fucking around with WINE.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
For those on Linux, there's also GPU passthrough available if you have an integrated and dedicated video card. Wincucks will run in a VM where it belongs like a raging toddler.
It's still the most comfy way to play vidya on Linux instead of fucking around with WINE.
That's actually something I've never done - mostly because I already find Wine pretty comfy.
Is VirtualBox or VMWare better for this?

Allyriadil

Educated
That's actually something I've never done - mostly because I already find Wine pretty comfy.
Is VirtualBox or VMWare better for this?

No, they don't support GPU passthrough. You have to use KVM/QEMU.
Here is a guide that I think is pretty good, there are also plenty of videos available online if you prefer that.

Red Rogue

Learned
Anyone on the codex playing this? I'm trying to learn the game and after some manual reading and let's play watching, it's slowly coming together.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom