Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity 1 vs Divine Divinity 2

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Well... I done it, I really did done did it now. I actually finishged one of my formerly most hated games in DD1. After picking up the DD2 combo pack and finishing the main game (not expansion part yet), and enjoying it, I decided to give the ancient prequel a try. For those who don't know, I tried DD1 way abck after it came out and loathed it so much I raged quit by the end of the first dungeon.

I picked up for a few $ on GOGs thanks to enjoying DD2 for the most part. Not only did I surive the evil first dungeon, I just completed the game. My opinion of it as obviously improved but it's still not without its MAJOR flaws. The best part is the exporation and the chaarcetr system is pretty good. And, the combat despite losing all semblance of challenge or balance later on is decently fun even if 99% of the time it's just lickity click click. Also, the overpower of a certainly spell makes certain enemies reidiculous tough where one has to 'cheat' to win. L0L Hell spikes l0L Kills my 1000+ hp warrior in less than 5 seconds hah hah. Yet, without hellspikes the end game would have absolutely zero chance.

While the story isn't deep by any stretch it's pretty good eevn if you know where it's headed. The different areas are fun. I loved the dwarf section. The music in this game is definitely in my top 10 if not by top 5 (much like the sequel).

Things that would make it fun is more varied ACTIVE abilities for warriors. More hotbars to make it easier to use abilities during combat instead of being forced to click multiple times to change them, and more varied enemies that don't rely simply on melee attacks. Stores should also be upgraded to sell better stuff (I basiclaly only bought ultimately unneeded potions). You should be able replace weaker gems with stronger ones in weapons as it basiclaly means you won't btoher putting gems in long term equipment because you'll know it be a waste.

Still, overall, fun game albeit repetive Diabloish combat does hurt it. Exploration is hella fun, and the different ways to resolve some quests is neateo.

7/10 - Perfectly playable but no world beater.

P.S. heading is sneaky as there is no real 'versus' though I'd give the edge to DD2 overall...

Xi

Arcane
I preferred DD1 over 2. Of course, i enjoy Diablo style action games. That was probably why i liked it. It's like a deeper version of diablo with interesting character development, TES open world, and hilarious at times writing and stories. Plus, there's plenty of Choice/Consequence in the quest options. Solid game. Honestly, it's a gem that's worth playing.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I enjoyed DD1 far more than DD2. I played DD2 for a few hours but couldn't get into the consolish feel of the game.

DD1 had GREAT atmophere and music. I loved the open world feel of the game. Didn't care for the clicky combat and there was WAY to much of it. I think alot of people quite in the first dungeon of the game. Might be the worst start to a great game ever.

Looking forward to the next Divinity game that is supposed to be an iso game in the style of DD1, cant recall the name of it right now.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I downloaded the DD1 music. It's free! (check the right scroll list) Only thing that makes me slightly cringe at the thought of someone listening is the dwarf music. But i keep it too.
Also:
computergamemusic.jpg

header-back.jpg

==
:troll:

:neveraskedforthis:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I loved DD. It was a damn cool Diablo clone but with 100% more class. And the portable bed. Seriously that shit was awesome. <3

Keeping you balance of resistance was a challenge at times (via your gear). I remember the late game being just a bore fest though. I bought the DD that was just put on STEAM and IIRC they did do some changes to it. Curious what they did do/change.

Still a very fun and enjoyable game (as was Sacred). You might give that a try too Volo.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd put 1 above 2 slightly, but they're very similar to me - none of their individual features are particularly good, they are clunky at least to begin with, but somehow they just end up being very fun and endearing experiences.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
but somehow they just end up being very fun and endearing experiences.

Exactly. That's the best way I could ever explain Larians' games. They don't do everything perfect, but they somehow seem to get to the heart of it, and it works out well. Knowing Sven is a huge fan of classic cRPG's is now making a lot of sense.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Still a very fun and enjoyable game (as was Sacred)."

Tried it. It was alright, but simply get too boring and I simply stopped playing it.

CorpseZeb

Learned

Ps. I like to mention an atmospheric, stylish graphic of DD1. There's something catching an eyes and a mind, in those peculiar, pedantic 2d illustration of world, something which is somewhat lost in the modern 3d representation. Dunno... personal touch of every pixel? (or, at least, possibility to do so...). Those all flower pots and forks and dishes and... lovely.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah. the graphics were subpar for the most part. The few areas that look awesome only wer emade to be so because of the subparness of the rest.

P.S. This game has no excuse to not allow us to play a dwarf or other races. Shouild ahve given options for dwarf, elf, imp, and orc.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really liked DD1 and the atmosphere was superb. It became shit in the last area, though, where it was just a boring grindfest against hordes of overpowered enemies.

I liked DD2, too, which was overall a solid game, but the end was also kinda shitty with all these flying fortresses.

They're kinda like Piranha Bytes games in that regard. Solid experiences throughout that turn to "what the fuck were they thinking" in the endgame.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"overpowered enemies."

Overpowered? OVERPOWERED? They barely were able to touch me. if it was possible, I could have had my character on auto attack for the last few areas (sans certain drug induced speedster hellspike using bosses) and simply not tkaing any damage. L0L

p.s. The FF in DD2 werer actually fun b/c at least there were quests to be done in them, and the combat was a little more challenging.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
As far as I remember you could kill all imps (except the shamans) with one instant death ability you've got when becoming the Divine. For the rest a freezing twohander. It was a terrible slog though, worst area in the entire game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The entirety of Beyond Divinity was one boring slog. Not sure who among Larian thought the battlefields were a good idea.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Divinity 2 is a mixed bag for me. It has some good quest design that breaks out of your standard "fetch this," "kill that" RPG quests (the recruitment quests for your home base are fun), it doesn't take itself too seriously (always a plus), and turning into a dragon was kind of neat, but I really hated combat. Especially as a warrior, there's no way to block so for the first half of the game you will be attacking, retreating to wait for your health to (slowly) regen, then attacking again, and so on. I wouldn't necessarily mind the inability to block if combat was a bit more complex (you can't block in Gothic either, but its melee system had a certain rhythm that you could master to get by), but D2's combat is pretty mindless button mashing and spamming the same skills over and over. Once you unlock the health leech ability (and a few other defensive skills) combat gets much less tedious, but that doesn't come along until half way through the game. So the first half of the game is a bit of a slog in terms of combat. Although, I was playing as a warrior, so perhaps mages are more fun.

Plus, the flying fortresses at the end were awful (incredibly repetitive and long) and I didn't really like the expansion pack (it all takes place in one fairly smallish town and mostly consists of fetch quests).

I did love the original ending, though. It was dark and unexpected and kind of awesome. Unfortunately, the expansion pack tacked on a more generic happy ending.

Phelot

Arcane
I downloaded the DD1 music. It's free! (check the right scroll list) Only thing that makes me slightly cringe at the thought of someone listening is the dwarf music. But i keep it too.

Had these for awhile now and listen to them from time to time. Great soundtrack, I dare say one of the best in video games. That guys got talent even though I didn't like DD2's music overall. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than most AAA crap from Jeremy Soule, but it just wasn't as good or... weird as the first game's. Still had some great ones though.

DD2 combat is pretty basic "I can survive 122 damage per second for 19.4 seconds vs. I can dish out 145 damage per second" + spamming special attacks and potions. Eh... it's been awhile, but I guess DD1 was the same, but it had a bit more depth to it, what with a few not purely combat situations. Plus, you could breeze through it much faster.

DD2 was decent. I still haven't finished the expansion. Someday when I'm in the mood for it, I'll go back. I guess that's more than what I can say for most aRPGs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(you can't block in Gothic either, but its melee system had a certain rhythm that you could master to get by)

You can parry enemy attacks. You just can't hold a block button and feel safe behind it, but you can parry attacks, so it's not like there's no blocking at all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"but it had a bit more depth to it"

No, it didn't. Outside fo the warrior special attack all melee combat is spam the attack button, guzzle some buttons, and retreat/flee if overhwelmed by numbers or uber boss 9early/mid game as late game is just one huge joke). DD2 combat has more depth as at least you had more actual options.

Regvard

Arcane
DD1 was kinda fun if you had the discipline to stop yourself from using freezing swords and scorpion traps.

Did DD2 have the oh-let-me-clear-this dungeon-for-you scorpion traps as well?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom