Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Divine Divinity review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Divine Divinity; Larian Studios

Yeah, I know, it's an old game, but it wasn't an overly popular game and some people may have missed it, so here is your chance to learn something about it. <a href=http://rpgdx.net/>RPGDX</a> has posted a link to <a href=http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net/readarticle.php?article_id=27>this article</a> about <a href=http://www.larian.com/divine.php>Divine Divinity</a>, so take a look:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>- The Alchemy skill. By learning this skill, your character can combine certain plants with empty bottles (the size of potion bottle you can use depends on your skill level) to create potions. It is also possible to combine potions. I really like these kinds of skills because they allow for a new avenue of gameplay and interaction with the gameworld. I love the idea of going looking for herbs - it gives me such a feeling of reality, of interaction. DD, unfortunately, doesn't get this quite right. The options one has are far too limited, and don't create much of an atmosphere. There's no *detail*, just plants of different colours that create potions of the corresponding colour (red = health, blue = mana, etc.). Even the distribution of the plants in the world has no particular logic. In Might & Magic 7, where a similar system existed, not all plants were equally easy to find, and there were areas where certain species were more common. This made the gathering process more challenging and more interesting. An old game called Shadows over Riva, however, beats both of these games in terms of detail: there each plant or herb had a name, certain places where it grew, and finding it required skill; furthermore, the making of potions was far more complicated, usually requiring several ingredients. Gods, that was fun! DD is oriented towards a simpler kind of gameplay, and has no such complexities. Which is a real shame.</blockquote>
<br>
I feel the urge to replay one of the Realms of Arkania games.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Let's do the time warp agaaainn...

Divine Divinity is a good game, but the overwhelming amount of combat stops it from being a great game. For an action-RPG, it sure offers a shitload of non-combat options: Merchant skills, choices that affect gameplay, a "fame" stat and people reacting to it, dialouge, a thieve's guild. All sorts of neato stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom