Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance Is Not Perfect

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

<p>... but it <span id="body0">beats most RPGs I&rsquo;ve had the occasion to play recently. <a href="http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=413891&amp;gonew=1#UNREAD" target="_blank">Says </a></span><a href="http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=413891&amp;gonew=1#UNREAD" target="_blank">Swen Vincke of Larian Studios</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span id="body0">It&rsquo;s no secret that a lot of people thought the first part of Divinity 2 was the best part (me included), and when we started working on FOV, the goal was to capture that same feeling, and I&rsquo;m quite happy to say that I think the team managed this. I hope all of you will agree when you get to play it. Having seen what the Divinity engine can do now in Flames of Vengeance, I regret that the values present in FOV weren&rsquo;t present throughout the original game, because that would&rsquo;ve made a big difference I think to the nay-sayers. These caused quite a lot of frustration on our side, given how long we worked on Divinity 2, but of course, they did have a point about certain things.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>The nay-sayers had a point about certain things. But everything has been addressed, that'll shut them up. Stupid nay-sayers.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15071">RPGWatch</a></p>

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That sounds promising in fact, the first part of D2 was indeed agreeable to some extent - but I'm pretty sure it's all just developer lies and/or they'll mess it all up no matter what. :smug:

Felix

Arcane
DraQ said:
Div2 was rather flawed, but an enjoyable H&S (with some C&C) through and through.
More so than Diablo 2, in fact.

Assuming no unexpected huge turd of some sort - will buy FOV.
Hope they will change the FOV.

DraQ

Arcane
Felix said:
DraQ said:
Div2 was rather flawed, but an enjoyable H&S (with some C&C) through and through.

:lol: This too.

Saxon1974 said:
Any chance they will go back to the 2D style graphics from Divinity 1? guess not....
Why do so many posters on the KKKodex have 2D fetish?

Saxon1974

Prophet
DraQ said:
Felix said:
DraQ said:

:lol: This too.

Saxon1974 said:
Any chance they will go back to the 2D style graphics from Divinity 1? guess not....
Why do so many posters on the KKKodex have 2D fetish?

It's not about 2D as much as it is about interactive worlds. In the first game you could manipulate almost everything on screen ala Ultima 7. Since 3D its pretty static and smaller worlds.

DraQ

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
It's not about 2D as much as it is about interactive worlds. In the first game you could manipulate almost everything on screen ala Ultima 7. Since 3D its pretty static and smaller worlds.
Does not follow, in fact, 3D has more potential for interaction, as apart of pre-coded interaction (which 3D doesn't limit in any way), it offers a lot of ground for emergent interactivity based on mechanics.

The case is more of current VS former trends than 3D VS 2D.

Also, when you say "smaller", I think of Daggerfall and Frontier. You do know how bad it is for any point you are trying to make, right?

Saxon1974

Prophet
DraQ said:
Saxon1974 said:
Does not follow, in fact, 3D has more potential for interaction, as apart of pre-coded interaction (which 3D doesn't limit in any way), it offers a lot of ground for emergent interactivity based on mechanics.

The case is more of current VS former trends than 3D VS 2D.

Also, when you say "smaller", I think of Daggerfall and Frontier. You do know how bad it is for any point you are trying to make, right?

Well its nice that 3D has more potential for world interaction but I have not yet seen it in a game near the level of DD1. Hopefully 3D games will get better with time.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Indeed. Give me a game where I can carry a locked treasure chest back to town if I am strong enough. It's a little thing but I always loved it about DD.

DraQ

Arcane
Inventory systems essentially work no different in 2D and 3D titles, so if ability to pick up containers is coded in, it will work just the same in 2D and 3D game.

However, in 3D game with a physics engine, you should be able to not only pick up a chest and carry it back to town, but also to crack it open by dropping it from a great height. If you code destruction of a container in a way that it's contents retain it's velocity, this can even damage or destroy the contents assuming they are fragile enough. If some of the contents are explosive (some explosive potions, for example), and other don't get damaged by fall but are weak to fire (like scrolls), they may get destroyed as well.

I haven't mentioned a single thing that would be impossible, difficult to code, or prohibitive to calculate in Unreal Engine 1 which is 12 years old and was used in Unreal, UT'99 and Deus Ex. It doesn't even feature "proper" physics engine stuff, only bare essentials - velocity, mass, buoyancy, falling damage, different damage types and breakable containers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom