Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

<p>Christ Centered Gamers <a href="http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/reviews-mainmenu-31/13-computer/5209-d" target="_blank">reviewed</a> <strong>The Dragon Knight Saga</strong>. Will Jesus approve?</p>
<blockquote>
<p>When it comes down to it, Divinity 2 is a well-crafted game that doesn't exactly transcend the genre. Plenty of heart went into the game and it's easy to see that. From the well-written dialogue to the large amount of quests to the nice dose of humor, there's plenty to enjoy. The game was, frankly, grating the first three hours or so I played. As time went on, though, I eventually warmed up to it. The world becomes less confined the longer you play, and it feels more expansive by the time you hit places like Sentinel Island and Orobas Fjords, around the eight to ten hour mark.</p>
<p>For hardcore RPG fans yearning for some adventure, this game has it in spades. You'll easily sink dozens of hours into this game if you choose to work at it. At $40, it's a reasonable deal, especially with the improvements to the core game and the included expansion.</p>
<p>More casual gamers, however, may want to look at other options instead. The slower story progression, difficulty of the game, and lack of hand-holding make this a hard sell to those not used to such staples of the genre.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Sounds not bad, but wait:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Strong Points: </strong>Solid dialogue and plenty of written lore; exceptional voice acting; graphic engine runs smooth and offers pleasant environments; subtle humor throughout<strong><br /><br />Weak </strong>Points: Uneven difficulty; crude and dated menus; not very newbie friendly; uses SecuROM<strong><br /><br />Moral Warnings: </strong>Sword and sorcery abound in combat; blood is seen in environments and with melee attacks; occult themes like mind-reading, communication with ghosts, and necromancy are present, as are pentagrams; innuendo in some dialogue.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>It's probably best if you go to the church and light a candle after finishing the game or whatever those guys are doing in there.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Newsitem is a courtesy of Jaesun.</em></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
What was wrong with the menus? Is this because more things fit on the screen than six lines of text?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Moral Warnings: Sword and sorcery abound in combat; blood is seen in environments and with melee attacks; occult themes like mind-reading, communication with ghosts, and necromancy are present, as are pentagrams; innuendo in some dialogue.

Actually, this stuff should be added to the Strong Points list instead.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Moral warning hehe.

Did they made an review of Dragon Age and its homo-romances by chance?

Angthoron

Arcane
From Oblivion:

Appropriateness:

This game is rated Teen and I don’t know why it was not awarded a Mature rating. There’s violence (-4), and blood (but it can be disabled +1) when you’re slashing things with a weapon. There’s some swearing (-5). There are nine gods in this world so I’m not sure if they’re blaspheming their gods or our God. There are sexual references as in live in couples (-3) and there’s an NPC who asks you about a fine for necrophilia. Magic is used heavily (-5), it’s optional to use it but it will be used on you regardless. On a positive note the Mages guild (for the most part) is against necromancy. With the different races there is prejudice in this game and many of the races hate each other (-1.5). Some characters tend to sleep in their underwear, I have noticed this with female characters. (-3.5) Finally, I was happy to see no occult symbols in this game but there is an occult type religion/worship.

They also have a Fallout review!

http://www.christcenteredgamer.com/revi ... ter/4481-f

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, violence gets (-4), but 'some swearing' is (-5) and people sleeping in their underwear is (-3.5)? WTF?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MicoSelva said:
Yeah, didn't Jesus do the mind-reading, necromancy and communicating with ghosts stuff?

Phelot

Arcane
They seem to be keeping in character with the whole anti-violence thing.

But it's painful everytime a modern review of an old game has to go through a detailed explanation of what this "Turn based" is all about and why it's horrible :lol:

Gwendo

Augur
Sceptic said:
MicoSelva said:
Yeah, didn't Jesus do the mind-reading, necromancy and communicating with ghosts stuff?

Actually... No. He didn't read minds, he didn't do necromancy (ressurection is not raising the dead) and he didn't comunicate with ghost (and they don't even exist, as he says the dead are dust).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom