Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Shrimp

Arbiter
Most of the complaints about the combat in DOS2 are about the game's armour system, but something else that I personally didn't like and don't see mentioned as often is how it forcibly arranges the turn order to always switch between you and the enemy.
Fortunately the game doesn't really have an abundance of trash encounters, but it gets very tedious towards the end of combat when you're just cleaning up the remaining enemies yet still have to wait for them to finish their turns. This tied with the set 4 AP (another byproduct of DOS2 streamlining the stat systems from DOS1) means that unless you have abilities and talents like Adrenaline and Executioner (which you most likely will since they're too good not to pick up and there's an abundance of shitty talents that no one ever picks) you'll end up wasting a lot of time in time sink encounters you easily could've cleaned up if you had played the previous game.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Low effort trolling even by your standards.
Except I'm not trolling.

I truly believe the criticism about the armor system is overblown, it greatly improves the gameplay compared to DOS the first, and I have argued so in this thread and others when I'm not bored with this one-sided debate. The addition of armor and the new initiative system, while not without flaws, do what they were meant to do: prevent you from stacking initiative to act first and disabling the enemies' ability to even act by applying elemental effects to them before their first turn. It also pushes you to diversify your builds, and find synergies between your characters. I could go on.

I also argued that not knowing how to deal efficient damage, admittedly because the damage formula is nowhere shown to the player, makes people do low damage to armors and feel like it's this huge issue they have to deal with. The solution to that being, obviously, learning how to deal damage efficiently to remove armor. In other words, gitting gud.

Also, the idea that having two types of damage on a character makes them samey is frankly ridiculous. There is much more to a character than its damage type. And reducing the damage types to one by removing the armor system wouldn't in any way fix this supposed sameness.
You switched bad thing for the worse thing.Now is about muh HUGE dps output....Be it physical or magical...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The armor system is a sledgehammer to crack a nut and removes the only bit of fun and depth the game had to offer me. Blowing shit up with fire and lightning is only fun for so long. It needs mind control and stuff to keep it interesting but they just ruined it. It's so stupid. But then so are the stupidly overpowered spells that use some dumbass points that you have to run all the way to some well thing to recharge. And so is the autogenerated loot, and taking your characters away from you with no warning, and their inventory. Nobody should be making these sorts of gaming fuck ups in this day and age.

The extreme hand holding tutorial stages that last for hours are getting annoying too.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like the magic/physical armor system because it somewhat elevates the pre-emptive buffing that most D&D games have (esp. as you get to higher levels). Combined with it being turn-based it really puts tactical play (how you fight battles) in the plot-light, rather than strategic play (how you prepare for combat).

While I don't mind strategic play, I do think the pendulum swings too hard into that direction with high level D&D. I coincidentally prefer lower to mid level D&D (around level 10-12) a lot more because of it, because it feels more like a tactical system at that point.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting they now call D:OS2 AAA (from that trailer, press release, website, everywhere). Maybe Apple pushed it for marketing purpose, maybe actually they can call it when you think about how many people worked on this.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So, um, I started playing this game for the first time. I finished the first one a couple years back and enjoyed it. Not sure about this one so far.

Also, I feel like I'm playing Baldur's Gate III.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So, um, I started playing this game for the first time. I finished the first one a couple years back and enjoyed it. Not sure about this one so far.

Also, I feel like I'm playing Baldur's Gate III.
DoS1 > DoS2. I agree you should skip it and wait for DoS3 I mean BG3.

So the whole 2nd grade level retard humor about cats and imps every fucking quest didn't deter your enjoyment?

Or the main plotline where they blatantly shoved a co-op 2 chosen ones story over some silly shit?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Imagine going into a Larian game expecting good writing and good jokes and not enjoying it because it had neither.

It's like hiring a shemale hooker and not enjoying it because she didn't have a vagina and her dick was bigger than yours.

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys so I tried DOS2 on release and got bored quickly for some reason. I think the armor system may have been the reason.
Should I replay it now that its been patched?
Can you recommend some mods? I loved DOS1 but this game is strange.

Parabalus

Arcane
I liked DOS1 but DOS2 I found unplayable, both on Day 1 and a few months back with some mods suggested here.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Guys so I tried DOS2 on release and got bored quickly for some reason. I think the armor system may have been the reason.

The system hasn't been patched. They just removed some bloat. But this is still not enough.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

There's multiple mods changing the system/combat dynamics making it better, you can find them on nexus or Steam workshop.
I never made it past Fort Joy but last time i tried, i used epic encounters and that's the one mod you should avoid but there's some decent ones, i remember steam workshop having a page dedicated to compare them, it's easier to chose the best one for you.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I managed to get past Fort Joy and stopped in that camp with the crying face statue. I plan to play it again with a friend of mine and I'll see how far we'll get. The biggest hurdle is the armor system even with mods that reduce its sinfulness.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I found the balance mods comparison:

HFKxJpO.png

Now, i only played with Epic encounters (the first one) and it was a shitshow.
In my opinion, Unleashed seems like the way to go.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm actually starting to enjoy it. The armor system is meh, but not too bad.

The skill system is quite dumbed down though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom