Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Fort Joy actually got pretty great once you start exploring the palace and the other side of the island. But I see quite a big motivation slump once you reach the mainland.

Before that you had a clear motivation: get off the prison island. After that it is just "lol, you need to get bigger and better because your god needs you or something".

Also, did anyone else get a Level 15 sword and staff while on the High Seas? I was Level 7 and have no idea how these got into my inventory.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The Blackpits fight on the oil rig was awesome. You and a prisoner fight against Magister forces and waves of Voidwoken - and the latter two also fight each other.

DOS2 had a bit of a slump for me for much of Driftwood but now at Level 12 it is starting to get more interesting again. Equipped all my chars with fast relocation spells and two have teleport spells which do wonders in many fights. Just teleport an enemy far away while you are dealing with another.

SoupNazi

The Blackpits fight on the oil rig was awesome. You and a prisoner fight against Magister forces and waves of Voidwoken - and the latter two also fight each other.

DOS2 had a bit of a slump for me for much of Driftwood but now at Level 12 it is starting to get more interesting again. Equipped all my chars with fast relocation spells and two have teleport spells which do wonders in many fights. Just teleport an enemy far away while you are dealing with another.

Glad you're enjoying it. DOS2 really shines when you get to mess around with its systems, create nearly infinite turns, can't-get-hit builds, rangers that absolutely oneshot large bosses if they have a bit of prep, etc.

If you end up liking it enough for a replay, I really recommend downloading some of the mods that put in new classes. Odinblade's are excellent.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I found the balance mods comparison:

HFKxJpO.png

Now, i only played with Epic encounters (the first one) and it was a shitshow.
In my opinion, Unleashed seems like the way to go.

Which one of these mods unfucks itemization though?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Which one of these mods unfucks itemization though?

If you mean making a good itemization out of this pile of shit, probably none if you mean slightly improving it, some mods try to do it, you can find the descriptions of all these mods on the steam workshop or nexus mods for further details, i'm certainly not going to play them all, maybe unleash soon-ish, like november/december but that's as far as i'm willing to go and i'll probably not complete the game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New update brings iPad/Steam cross save and Brazilian Portuguese and Latin-American Spanish support: https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/2989815684335805773

iPad/Steam Cross Save Now Available!
Version number: 3.6.117.3735

6a07b00af80265cd16affe67b94198789ddbaafb.png

Hey everyone,

We’ve just released a new update for Divinity: Original Sin 2!

In this update we have added Steam Cross Save progression for iPad players! Now you'll be able to share your Steam save files between PC and iPad, seamlessly and as often as you like.

We have also added Brazilian Portuguese and Latin-American Spanish, so you'll now be able to play the game in your native language on PC and Mac!

To change languages, right-click the game in your Library, choose Properties, and go to the Languages tab. If Brazilian Portuguese or Latin-American Spanish don't pop up, try restarting Steam.

Wishing you many happy adventures in Rivellon!

Larian Crew

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I kind of lost interest again on the Nameless Isle. How much of the game is still left after that in percent? I know there is the whole Arx map still to go.

SoupNazi

I kind of lost interest again on the Nameless Isle. How much of the game is still left after that in percent? I know there is the whole Arx map still to go.
30 ish

Arx is a lot better though, Namess Isle is easily the worst part of the game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Any co op they do is always going to be < an MMO experience anyway. If you want to play as just a wizard or just a paladin or something, then you are best doing that with real people in big open world with challenging battles and stuff. MMO have that sewn up. If you want to control more than just a wizard then you need to play a whole party and that is better without other people being involved.
But MMOs are shit.

Couch co-op is great and more games should have it. No I'll never use it because hell is other people but normal humans enjoy that sort of thing. It's not as if the Co-op option takes away from the singleplayer experience.

EDIT:
I started a new attempt at this game. Found a guide online for a rogue/ranger hybrid that looks kinda fun and different from spamming CC.

So I'm playing classic mode with 2 man wolfpack party, Main is generic human male, partner is Ilfan. He came with pet pal, and I gave him lone wolf at level 3.

I instantly was reminded of what I am reminded of every time I start a new game. The tutorial and the ship are boring and have basically nothing to do. So for once I just rushed through it and didn't obsessively loot every cup on the ship. This helped immensely.

When I got to fort joy I had some trouble, I couldn't find an encounter I could win, my character had garbage weapons, and no armor to speak of. Plus, I had forgotten about the trade button in dialog, so I was having a very difficult time, and couldn't even buy the skills i needed.

Once I figured out the trade button, and turned in some early quests, I got my characters off the ground and started to feel like I had a strategy I was building toward instead of just collecting random stuff.

Now I've overcome the initial difficulty cliff, and I'm beginning to regret playing on classic rather than tactician.

Are there any good crafting recipes the game doesn't give you that would be a big help early on?

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Are there any good crafting recipes the game doesn't give you that would be a big help early on?

The weapon crafting seems to be mostly for the very beginning when you have nothing useful. Potions from plants are good for early game, but you still need to get potion bottles somewhere.

I am at the opposite end of the game now in Arx at Level 18. The fights are usually quite fun with a lot of options and high stakes.

Most helpful is probably the Entanglement area spell combined with Torturer ability and very high Initiative - stops melee characters completely. And even when dealing with ranged ones, entangling them and then jumping to high ground can put them out of range too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Any co op they do is always going to be < an MMO experience anyway. If you want to play as just a wizard or just a paladin or something, then you are best doing that with real people in big open world with challenging battles and stuff. MMO have that sewn up. If you want to control more than just a wizard then you need to play a whole party and that is better without other people being involved.
But MMOs are shit.

Couch co-op is great and more games should have it.

Modern MMOs are shit but EQ was a much better RPG co-op than any of these singleplayer games with bolt on co-ops. Unless what you want is a storyfagish rpg-lite DoS type game. I think it makes more sense for them to focus on being a good singleplayer RPG for a change, and let MMOs focus on being good co-op experiences for a change.

Modern MMOs are shit but EQ was a much better RPG co-op than any of these singleplayer games with bolt on co-ops. Unless what you want is a storyfagish rpg-lite DoS type game. I think it makes more sense for them to focus on being a good singleplayer RPG for a change, and let MMOs focus on being good co-op experiences for a change.

EQ was an OK MMO when it was the only game in town. It was never ever a decent RPG. It has no story, because it's an MMO, everything is happening at the same time.

Most people who would want to play a game like DOS2 co-op are not looking for anything like EQ. Most people who play games period are not looking for anything like EQ. Everquest is an ok skinner box, WOW is a better skinner box, and neither of them are a good RPG.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Are there any mods that overhaul the loot and gear systems of this game in a satisfactory manner?

Like lower number scaling, more unique items or less emphasis on item levels?

I feel like revisiting the game again but the thought of dealing with the loot is putting me off.

Thonius

Arcane
New update brings iPad/Steam cross save and Brazilian Portuguese and Latin-American Spanish support: https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/2989815684335805773

iPad/Steam Cross Save Now Available!
Version number: 3.6.117.3735

6a07b00af80265cd16affe67b94198789ddbaafb.png

Hey everyone,

We’ve just released a new update for Divinity: Original Sin 2!

In this update we have added Steam Cross Save progression for iPad players! Now you'll be able to share your Steam save files between PC and iPad, seamlessly and as often as you like.

We have also added Brazilian Portuguese and Latin-American Spanish, so you'll now be able to play the game in your native language on PC and Mac!

To change languages, right-click the game in your Library, choose Properties, and go to the Languages tab. If Brazilian Portuguese or Latin-American Spanish don't pop up, try restarting Steam.

Wishing you many happy adventures in Rivellon!

Larian Crew
Finaly DOS game found home where it belongs! On tablets of people who went to poopenfarten and sit there for 30 minutes during workhours!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Postmortem on the development of iPad version: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/mobil...ity-original-sin-2-definitive-edition-for-ios

As you can expect it's mostly technical talk.

Game: Divinity: Original Sin 2 (iOS)
Developer: Larian / Elverils
Publisher: Larian Studios
Release Date: 18 May 2021
Platforms: iPad
Number of Developers: 7
Length of Development: 1.5 years
Development Tools: XCode, Instruments, in-house developed

Putting yet another article on the porting process. https://www.gamedeveloper.com/mobil...ity-original-sin-2-definitive-edition-for-ios

Sunsetspawn

Arcane

So I finally started this game and immediately noticed the more generic soundtrack, at the fucking title screen, which triggered a memory of someone somewhere mentioning that the DOS main theme wasn't finished because Kirill Vladimirovich Pokrovsky (say his name, faggots, because I sure can't) died. The whole flavor of the Divinity series came from the music-man, that's a fucking grievous situation. I'm actually mourning for the end of an artistic style that I was really into, how about that shit, kind of like with Patrice O'Neal.

Anyhow, fuck my faggotry. I started this game with a pre-made character and I'm wondering if I should use a custom instead. I've always prefered a character to be MY role, that I want to play, instead of someone elses, which is why I liked DOS so much. Shit, in DOS I got to do 2, though in my head they eventually turned into Philip J Fry and Daphne Moon because that's what the voices sounded like. So yeah, when I eventually learn the systems and do my ceremonial re-roll, as many of us RPGfags do, should I stick with pre-made or go with custom?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So yeah, when I eventually learn the systems and do my ceremonial re-roll, as many of us RPGfags do, should I stick with pre-made or go with custom?

Pre-made can open more doors regarding the story and some extra dialog options. You can also customize them however you want basically. Not much of a difference to a custom character, except less story options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom