Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #1: Funded in less than 12 hours!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

To the surprise of nobody, Divinity: Original Sin 2 reached its funding goal of $500k rapidly after launching yesterday, crossing the line in less than 12 hours. Nobody, that is, except Larian, who have been caught flat-footed without stretch goals like Obsidian back in 2012. Swen is in Seattle now, preparing Larian's booth for this year's PAX Prime, but he found the time to release a Kickstarter update about it:

You are all amazing!

Who would’ve predicted that a pitch built around adding extra dialog options & origin stories to a complex RPG would be capable of mobilizing so many people so fast? For RPG developers like us it's like a dream come true. You are allowing us to create deep complex RPG experiences that we love to make and we're so very grateful to all of you!

Where Divinity: Original Sin took 12 days to reach its funding goal, Divinity: Original Sin 2 was funded in less than 12 hours. Nobody at Larian, except Eric that is, could imagine that we would meet our goal so fast and now that we’ve reached this point, we’re incredibly motivated to take D:OS 2 as far as we can.

Thank you!!!

Since things went a lot faster than we anticipated, we’ll need a little bit more time to prepare our first big update, but rest assured, it’s coming.

We’re currently in Seattle, prepping for showing the D:OS 2 prototype at PAX Prime (Booth #6011, Level 6), and our best case scenario was actually that we’d be talking about what’s next near the end of the show ;)

But you’ve caught us of guard and showed us there was an even better scenario. We’re very happy that you did!

As a little teaser for PAX, rumour has it that we found a cosplayer who'll be doing the rounds as a wood elf. We haven't spotted him yet but once he pops up, we'll be sure to share a picture with you.

So yeah, stretch goals tomorrow. Unless due to time zone shenanigans "tomorrow" actually means "today". We'll see, I guess. Hopefully Larian will manage to harness PAX Prime to help their Kickstarter campaign, instead of letting it overshadow them like what happened to Bard's Tale IV at E3.

Athelas

Arcane
The 500k funding goal kinda gave their low expectations away as well. I hope they don't lose the momentum.

Fireblade

Erudite
The 500k funding goal kinda gave their low expectations away as well. I hope they don't lose the momentum.
To me it seemed more a matter of low needs, rather than low expectations. After the success of D:OS 1, they could fund D:OS 2 without Kickstarter. Swen's main reasoning seems to be that he wants to keep the community involved, continue getting input as they did with D:OS 1, etc.

Delbaeth

Learned
Glad they made it.
This time, they focused on PC Windows only, maybe because of vocal angry Linux users still waiting for D:OS 1.
Linux user and D:OS 1 backer here, but not really angry (even though original D:OS was released, I couldn't play it anyway for personal reasons). Waiting for the HD edition.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Glad they made it.
This time, they focused on PC Windows only, maybe because of vocal angry Linux users still waiting for D:OS 1.
Linux user and D:OS 1 backer here, but not really angry (even though original D:OS was released, I couldn't play it anyway for personal reasons). Waiting for the HD edition.
how is the game not already HD?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Great to see these guys succeed. Even my wife* likes their KS updates and scolds me whenever I do not wait for her to watch them ("Is that Swen's voice?"), because they are always so positive and upbeat.

*She is also the one who did finish D:OS, while I decided to wait for EE

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Kickstarter money will certainly help them, the Bubbles interview showed that their goals are extremely ambitious again. Swen hemorrhages money like Tim S. – though in the end, he makes a great game for his backers not his daughters and he set up shop in Russia not SF.

Tigranes

Arcane
It was a sure buy simply on the strength of D:OS, but they've actually managed to dangle a host of mouthwatering features. The art style is as good as you could hope for - a more realistic and nuanced evolution, featuring some nice isometric vistas (which, by the way, was an awesome innovation from DS3, never mind the rest of the game). The co-op / AI stuff sounds like it's going to be a massive headache, but what is amazing is, how many times have we said on these forums, "to do X you'd really have to rebuild how your game works from the ground up"? At least Swen realises this and tries to do this. Realistically, what I'm most hopeful for is the expanded elemental reactions, the skill crafting, and so on.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Glad to see they're doing well.

In closing - Have a look at take 1

For the last couple of days the hardware gods have been pretty harsh on us, cursing us with broken laptops, hard drives and burned ...things, and they continued their curse today just as we were filming the big moment. Here's the footage as it happened, but you'll notice we had quite a few problems :)
Hmm... Not seeing any footage there. Am I missing something?

Aenra

Did my part, was there when it happened! Again!

Proud member of the Laryan Race. Part II ^^

(please don't screw up with the romancing shit, lol, please please don't)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My choices are:

A. Eat
B. Coke and Hooker
C. PS4
D. Support Larian
E. Cure ALS

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like that they didn't repeat the tired old "bad publishers" shtick ad nauseam, like some other studio. He confidently presents his ideas and says "gib money if you like what you saw and what we did so far". It's like a KS pitch evolved grown up.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angry Joe might be Fallout 3 loving retard but at least he is passionate about games and gaming unlike this Kwan-Kraut dullard Sawyer is; This will only help Larian to get jewgold and attention from consoltard sap untermensh Kommissar hopes. :thumbsup:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Joe deserves a lot of the criticism he gets around here, but he's pretty good at this kind of thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom