Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #21: Skill Tier Vote #2, Bobby Slavov hired as composer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Walgrave; Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

It's been a while since we heard anything about the development of Divinity: Original Sin 2. In the game's first Kickstarter update for 2016, Swen Vincke announces that Larian have hired a new composer to replace the departed Kirill Pokrovsky. His name is Borislav "Bobby" Slavov, formerly of Crytek, and apparently he's a huge Divinity fan. Bobby has some cool ideas for Original Sin 2, though Swen isn't ready to talk about them yet. The update also announces the launching of a new vote to determine the game's second skill tier (I guess they decided using the second place winner in the previous one wasn't the best idea). The winner in the first vote was of course Polymorph, which means that Swen is no longer playing favorites in this one...for the most part. Here's the video and text:

Music to your Ears

Last year we lost Kirill Pokrovsky, a brilliant composer and dear friend. While Kirill will be a part of every game we make, the time has come to pass the mantle to another musical genius. Since our ambitions for the music in Divinity:Original Sin 2 are very high, it took a while but today we're happy to report that we found the perfect fit for the job.

Today, we would proudly like to introduce you to Borislav “Bobby” Slavov!

Bobby is an award-winning video game composer and music director, having played and composed for Knights of Honor, Two Worlds II, WorldShift, Gothic 3, and most recently, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, and Ryse: Son of Rome.

Apart from his credentials as a music director, Bobby’s work on adaptive music in video games was a thing that really caught our attention. He's developed novel techniques to ensure that music evolves in real time according to players’ actions and decisions in the game. In Divinity: Original Sin 2 his plan is to take this to the next level and we can honestly say that our jaws dropped when he told us what he wants to do. Very cool stuff!

We're thrilled to work with Bobby, and we think you're going to love his music -- we already do!

Lullaby and The Aria of The Frying Pan

You may squeak and squawk in real life, but in Divinity: Original Sin 2 you’ll be able to sing like an angel -- if you pick the Bard Skill Tree, of course. We are back with another poll to Choose a Skill Tree. After the last poll, we (and by ‘we’ we mean ‘only David’) were shocked to find that you picked the Polymorph skill tree over Bard.

But we still need you to pick a second skill tree, so get ready to vote again!. Log in to your Larian Vault account and let us know which from the list below you would like to see in the game:
  • Trap Master
  • Bard
  • Unarmed Combatant
  • Summoning Master
  • Juggernaut
  • Guardian
  • Alchemist

In the video, Swen spends some time walking around the studio and peeking at people's monitors, but he doesn't reveal much. We'll learn more about Divinity: Original Sin 2 soon though, with Swen attending the PC Gamer Weekender convention on March 5th and EGX Rezzed on April 7th. In the meantime, go vote!

Eddard Stark

Educated
No one can replace Kirill, but Borislav did some great job on Knights of Honor & he's good with ethnic instruments also, so I'm hopeful.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bard sounds like something that could really fit well in the silly Larian setting games...

Anyhow, how can Codex backers vote? Unless I missed something, I've yet to get any message after spending an unhealthy amount of money on the KS.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm glad they went for an Eastern European composer. Not to sound like a filthy weeb, but lately I've noticed that usually when a game has distinct or memorable music that means it came from either Japan or Easter-Central Europe. Whenever I'm playing a murrican game and start paying attention to the music it always seems like I've heard the exact same tune in some action movie I've seen recently.

bat_boro

Arcane
We're in for a ride guys, this guy made wonders with the Knights of Honor soundtrack. I think he was signed for Gothic 3 soundtrack at one point also (if memory serves right) but sadly didn't actually work on that.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bard sounds like something that could really fit well in the silly Larian setting games...

Anyhow, how can Codex backers vote? Unless I missed something, I've yet to get any message after spending an unhealthy amount of money on the KS.

By having the precognition to put 5$ in the kickstarter itself...

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm glad they went for an Eastern European composer. Not to sound like a filthy weeb, but lately I've noticed that usually when a game has distinct or memorable music that means it came from either Japan or Easter-Central Europe. Whenever I'm playing a murrican game and start paying attention to the music it always seems like I've heard the exact same tune in some action movie I've seen recently.
As a Murrican, I don't think you're wrong. I'm wondering if there's more classically trained musicians from the "east?"

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will vote for Summoning Master, it sounds the coolest. The Bard as explained by Larian just sounds like another magi1cian. Sing a song and water will turn into grease. Oh di la la. It sounds just like a spellcaster the only difference being that the bard sings a song instead of doing a spell.

Summoning Master
To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

Darkzone

Arcane
If a bulgarian has the same passion and mood like a russian? Doubtful, but let us give him the benefit of the doubt, because he paid his dues and he respects Kirill. Still this shoes are very hard to fill.

And a unarmed combatant is the way to go!

Mustawd

desktop_zpshxvl49v4.png

desktopb_zpskhls4xf0.png

desktopc_zpstulgljry.png

Is this guy watching anime on the middle screen and posting on the 'dex on the right screen?

Suicidal

Arcane
Voted for Bard. I really regret voting for polymorph the first time (I gave in to peer pressure - Sven wouldn't shut up about it and I really had no idea what I wanted at the time :negative:). Now it is time to make amends and vote for something worthwhile. Since you will be able to play as undead, obviously undead bard is the way to go.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm wonder if there's more classically trained musicians from the "east?"
Can't say anything about 'classical' training, but if you're curious about video game composers from the "east":

:troll:

Zakharov's tracks were the best in X3-Reunion Soundtrack. The Reunion and Kingdom End is better than Argon Prime.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'm wonder if there's more classically trained musicians from the "east?"
Can't say anything about 'classical' training, but if you're curious about video game composers from the "east":

Zahrarov's tracks were the best in X3-Reunion Soundtrack. The Reunion and Kingdom End is better than Argon Prime.

I picked a random track that was long enough and was pleasant to listen to, just to give you some general directions if you weren't familiar with this stuff and didn't know where to start.

Trap Master
Craft mines, place them in strategic positions and lure the unwitting enemy (or "ally") into your traps! At higher levels you'll be able to toss your deathtraps into groups of foes; taunt them so that they run blindly into your snares, and even craft bombs that you can sneak into an enemy's pocket. Tick. Tock. BOOM!

Bard
Inspire your allies to perform even greater feats of magic and carnage, then pacify, confuse or lull to sleep your enemies with songs and music. Of course, you don't have to be the party's unwavering champion. You can also weave lies into your tales, which can influence the attitude of NPCs in various ways. Sing your own praises and see them cheers you; paint your friends as cowards and see them be hailed with contempt!

Unarmed Combatant
This is for the hands-on fighters that don't want to dance around their targets, but get down and dirty by going for chokeholds and body throws. Wrestle your foes with bare fists, or go for some extra piercing power with vicious knuckles and claws.

Summoning Master
To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

Juggernaut
If you want to role play a bloodthirsty maniac that thrives on gore and pain, this is the one to get. Get stronger as your health drops; swing mighty great-swords or dual-wield axes; drown your enemies in spilled blood. You can even sacrifice your own hitpoints in return for massive, area-shattering blows. Beware of friendly fire though - if you even care, that is.

Guardian
A born protector, this sword 'n' board wielding warrior prioritizes a strong defense over offense. Your shield will become a wall behind which you -and your allies- can close in on the enemy unharmed. Your provocations will also turn your foes' attention toward you, but that's ok because other skills include becoming nigh invulnerable for brief amounts of time.

Alchemist
The powers of alchemy become as weapons in your hands! Throw potions like grenades; coat your weapons with poisons and curses; control clouds of steam, lightning, miasma and more; bask in the vastly superior effects of every potion you can get your hands on!

From the poll. Can't decide between Bard and Summoning Master

Not sure if it was posted before:
Where do you get all your gaming news from?
You have already voted (on 2016-02-10 22:19:04).
Current score:

1. Gaming Websites: 844 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

2. Forums (NeoGaf, Reddit): 322 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

3. YouTubers: 246 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

4. Steam Frontpage: 199 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

5. RPG Communities (RPG Watch, RPG Codex): 130 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

(Your vote)
6. Gaming Magazines: 75 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

7. Twitter: 70 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

8. Facebook: 70 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

9. Blogs: 60 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

10. Twitch Streamers: 24 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

11. Gaming Conventions and Expos: 4 votes
bar_start.gif
bar.gif
bar_end.gif

Are we going to raid the poll?

Darkzone

Arcane
I picked a random track that was long enough and was pleasant to listen to, just to give you some general directions if you weren't familiar with this stuff and didn't know where to start.
I didn't criticise you or your taste.

Gremius

Augur
Exactly my thoughts. After wonderful D:OS music and contrast made by lots of unmemorable sounds that pretends music (S:HK, PoE) it would be great disappointment to lost one of last bastions of good music in RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom