Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #35: Patch #4 - Summoning & Polymorph, Party Infighting

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian have released the fourth major update for the Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access release. The highlight of this new version is the addition of the Summoning and Polymorph skill schools, which the game's backers voted for so long ago. It also adds new party splitting and infighting options. As usual, there's a Kickstarter update to go along with the new version. In the accompanying 14 minute video, Swen demonstrates the concepts behind the new skill schools using common condiments and kitchen appliances, before moving on to the actual game to show them in action. If that's too long for you to watch, Larian have also put together a quick trailer about the new skills. Here are both videos, plus the description of the Polymorph school, which allows you to LARP as a mutated Chaos cultist from Warhammer:

Speaking of Polymorph, let’s talk about it! This skill was by far the most popular skill school in our vote, so we knew we had to make it extremely awesome. If Swen’s demonstrations with the Chariza--we mean with the chicken--didn’t convince you, then we don’t know what will!

Polymorphs are inspired by nature and their magic takes some of the best and worst aspects of other creatures and puts them to combat use. For example, you can grow wings and fly over surfaces, and then chain that with the Flight skill for longer distance flight. The Polymorph combat ability gives players one free Attribute Point to your avatar for every Ability Point invested.

The Early Access will include seven insane skills:
  • Bull Horns - Magnificent horns sprout from your forehead. You can rush at your enemies and gore them.
  • Tentacle Lash - With tentacular (it’s a word, look it up) limbs, lash out at the enemy and Disarm them.
  • Chicken Claw - Turn the target character into a chicken. Squawk!
  • Heart of Steel - Your skin turns to steel, increasing Physical Armour and regenerating a portion of it every turn.
  • Chameleon Cloak - Become one with the shadows so that you're invisible to your opponents.
  • Spread Your Wings - Grow wings that unlock Flight skill. You ignore ground surfaces as long as you keep moving.
  • Skin Graft - Reset all cooldowns, yet also strip off all Physical Armour and Magic Armour. Removes Burning, Poisoned, Bleeding.
We’ve created the Metamorph preset class so you can adapt and transform and be as tricksy as mother nature herself. We’re not telling you to combine some of these polymorph skills with summoning skills, but we’re also not telling you NOT to do that. Have fun!

The update also recounts the team's visit to PAX East earlier this month, which once again doesn't seem to have produced much press for the game. What it doesn't mention is that Swen is going to give a talk at EGX Rezzed on Thursday about the game's Origin Stories feature. That'll be broadcasted live, so stay tuned.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, the first game was the best Kickstarter game by far in the last few years. I'm really excited for this. I already know, that just like the first game, the writing will not be its strong point. As long as the exploring and combat is fun, I will be pleased.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, who will be up for some sweet 4 player grouppen sex Divinity 2 coop?

Aenra

Probably not the best thread for this, but i wonder what plans they have for the other games currently in development. Kickstarter / no Kickstarter..
And of course why they're all under wraps. I mean, unless D:OS2 is still way off, one would expect to have heard something by now, right?

(am hoping for a first/third person after this one. Like, a Dragon Knight Saga with three times the budget, which i think is possible now; would fucking love seeing something like that)

Drowed

Arcane
I want to be a chicken.

(Edit:Updated)

Sy5CZ2s.png

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
(am hoping for a first/third person after this one.

At first I was like "fuck that", but then I was like "well, to be completely fair, we did get several decent top-down RPGs as of late and the world is in no shortage of first-person games, but what I really haven't seen since Gothic 3 was a nice third person RPG" so yeah, OK.

Aenra

so yeah, OK.

Thing is, they don't take it seriously where they shouldn't (and most do), and they -do- take it seriously where they should. Not saying they always get it right, but, well you get me i think..
So for a third person RPG, i could see how a better/bigger Knight Saga could work for them.

Not the kind of studio i'd fear "Skyrimisation" from :)

snoek

Cipher
Man, the first game was the best Kickstarter game by far in the last few years. I'm really excited for this. I already know, that just like the first game, the writing will not be its strong point. As long as the exploring and combat is fun, I will be pleased.
They got a much bigger writing team this time around so dialogue will probably improve somewhat.

Shilandra

Learned
Is there any word on how modable this game will be?

It feels like player made expansions and modules would be a really good fit for this game. Especially with the multiplayer. It could be just like the old nwn games.

Moink

Cipher
Summoning looks kinda meh, was more expecting being able to summon skeletons and stuff, but polymorph looks a lot of fun

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Summoning looks kinda meh, was more expecting being able to summon skeletons and stuff, but polymorph looks a lot of fun
I had hoped there would be a greater diversity in the types of creatures you could summon, not just two units that have palette swaps for the surface they are in.

Shadenuat

Arcane
This is going to be fun

These games are the only modern games that seem to capture anything goes retardness of old RPGs without caring too much about banalce, together with colorful settings unburdened by grimdor serious plot and pseudo philosophy

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I wanna play this game, but got nobody to play with. Does the Codex have a Divinity party at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom