Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #37: Patch #5, Release Date - September 14th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today brings us an important Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter update. I'll start with the big news. Yes, we have a release date - September 14th. In a year that's so far turned out to be a less exciting one for RPGs than I'd hoped for, it's welcome news. And that's not all. As promised in the previous update, there's a new patch for the game's Early Access release. It's a significant one, with a variety of added content and features, including a companion relationship system (which was the $1.75M stretch goal, if you recall), unique skills for the Origin characters and an overhauled crafting system. The highlight of the new version, however, is The Lady Vengeance, a ship that serves as your home base in the game, replacing the Hall of Echoes. Does that sound familiar to you? Whoops! Anyway, here's the update's Swen video, plus more information about the patch:

My Fair Lady

What is better than a warship? Nothing! That’s why we created The Lady Vengeance, a beautiful and daring ship to be your home base as you journey on your quest . That's a change from what we originally planned (the hall of echoes as a home base) but while playing you'll quickly understand why we went for the Lady Vengeance in the end. All the home base functionality that was planned for the halls is there but more importantly - the Lady Vengeance requires no level switching which means you can split the party between home base and another piece of the map. That's much more convenient than having to gather your party and loading a new level. It's also a much better setting for some of the relationship building that we added to the game.

In case you are wondering, the Hall of Echoes is still part of the game - you actually visit it in in act 1 already - we just moved the home base functionality away from it.

It's better like this, really.

Party Time!

We have been hard at work on the relationship system, and it is finally ready to make its debut! Now your actions and conversations with your companions will influence how they feel about you. If they grow to hate you and despise your choices, they may choose to leave your party entirely. But if they like and admire you, that may lead to other things. Better brush up on your social skills!

In addition to the new ways to communicate and the adjusted story lines, we have also included a feature to control party formation! Managing your crew with this new system should be a lot less like herding cats. Probably.

You Got Skillz

Speaking of skills, we have some pretty epic new ones to tell you about! Each Origin character now has a custom Source skill unique and personal to them. But you'll have to get rid of that nasty source collar to be able to use it and find yourself some Source. Non-origin characters also get a new fancy Source skill called Time Warp. Be warned - you're not going to find that much Source in Act 1 but rest assured, there'll be plenty to find in Act 2.

She’s Crafty

Get your craft on! We have completely overhauled the crafting system, adding new crafting combinations and fixing old entries. We’ve added new recipe books that unlock recipes in your crafting interface, so you can discover new ways of creating potions, arrows, grenades, scrolls, and gear!

In The Beginning

We’ve also made a few changes to improve your overall experience from the very start of your new adventure. We have updated the loading screen and Character Creation Screen and added a Tutorial level. We have also made some story rewrites and opened up a new region at the end of Fort Joy.

In other words, there’s a few hours of additional content in Act 1 and you’re going to see a big difference in how your story progresses. If we did our job right, you'll be super curious to learn what happens next.

Detailed patch notes are available here. So here we are, in the home stretch. There's going to be a Game Master Mode Q&A stream on Larian's Twitch channel next Thursday, but it looks like they're not going to be at E3 this year. No time for that now, I guess.

Ruzen

Savant
I can already see arguing topic: Which ship is better? Pillars or Divinity
And of corse few "admins" limiting others access for not liking their opinions.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Modding support news are really, really promising. With the game master mode around, that could end up as a great base for proper "modules" like in Nwn. I'm hyped.

Pentagon

Educated
TWO quality isometric RPG's where you command a magical ship are on the horizon. If this isn't the best timeline, it's only because the best one has three.

Drowed

Arcane
gH4kYKq.png

Aenra

I wanted to complain about the ship thing*, but in the end, maybe it's best actually; compared to getting a redone version of HoE i mean. I'm just hoping it has a "dungeon" (yes, yes.. grimdork..) looking part, would love that.

*i have over the years developed an allergy to 'ahoy' and 'matey' and 'yarr' jargon

Other than that, i'm gonna surprise everyone i know, lol, but:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

(also, do remember we have an interview with them, but we're cool and everything the Codex, so we're not gonna release it; just because)

Zeriel

Arcane
They did the ship stronghold for mechanics reasons (apparently you can have players in the ship and in another part of the world at the same time, which wasn't possible with Hall of Echoes, because it loads into a different map).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do not usually play games on release, but D:OS is the best isometric RPG I have played since Baldur's Gate 2, so I am looking forward to 14th of September.

TWO quality isometric RPG's where you command a magical ship are on the horizon. If this isn't the best timeline, it's only because the best one has three.
Nah, in the best timeline those are FLYING ships (like the one in Dragon Commander).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly thought that they would release the game in 2018. Gotta plan my gaming time for September.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
September 14th is almost exactly one year after the game appeared on Steam in Early Access (it was 15th, to be precise).

That is pretty optimistic on Larian's part - my bet is the game will get delayed (which is fine).

Aenra

You're probably right, but.. moot point by now; post-launch patches, more patches.. Either way, doesn't affect me, have learned my lesson :)

Whenever they launch it, whatever its state, not touching it, not even downloading it until we reach EE state.

(precious, precious few [non-action] RPGs i can replay; not gonna waste the novelty on a buggy version, or a version missing a score of QoL only bound to be added later on)

edit: plus, mods. That too. This is definitely worth the wait.

Zeriel

Arcane
Voice-acting made DOS's EE worse imo. Change isn't always better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom