Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #4: Meet the Lizards

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Humans are humans, dwarves are a whole race of Gimli clones, lizards are a group of animals with over 6000 fucking species and would it kill you to come up with a better name you fucking eurotrash

In Divinity setting, "Lizard" refers to the descendants of the great wyrm Lizardus. Get your ignorant ass out of this thread, shitlord.

Lambinou

Novice
This is true, but not always. Example:
Slavs is derived from slovo (word) or perhaps slava (glory). (This is a self given name.)
While the poles derive their name from polanie, which is a name given for their agriculture fields. (This is perhaps a name given by franks or saxons or later by "the" germans or latin speaking prists to the tribe of polanie.)
The germans on the other hand derive their name from either gealic word for neighbors or other possibility is the "ger" spear. (This name is given by romans.)
The germans living in germany call them self "Deutsche" which is derived from "theodisk", which means speaker of the nations language / or belonging to the nation or simply nation / people of the nation. (This is a self given name.)

Also "Franc" (or Frank for you non French) meant "free"

And Burkina Faso means "land of the honest men"

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Honestly I kind of feel like the "we're DRAGUNZ LOL" angle is pretty uninteresting, and rather silly. They build up this story of it being unclear whether they are actually descended from dragons, then have skills that turn them into dragons. Oh, okay, that mystery lasted for about 2 seconds. They would also be way more intriguing as a race if they didn't have the dragon aspect, I think, genetically obsessed lizards with a politically powerful empire sounds more interesting than any dragon I've ever heard of. But that boat has sailed, every fantasy game has to have a dragon, it's in the contract or something.

You do know you are asking for originality on a setting like Rivellon.
To me its the worst part of Larian, I dont even care about the light hearted tone. Its needs less WoW aesthetics and a more interesting universe.

Zeriel

Arcane
You do know you are asking for originality on a setting like Rivellon.
To me its the worst part of Larian, I dont even care about the light hearted tone. Its needs less WoW aesthetics and a more interesting universe.

It's just a logistics complaint mostly. Presenting a spoiler that they are canonically dragons a second after suggesting there is some mystery about it being unclear what their origins are strikes me as incredibly silly. It would be like if in the same update they told us about the Divine Alexander guy they then one sentence later told us how the game ends with him turning into a demon or whatever. Like what in the actual fuck?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It can be a point of contention within the setting while not a mystery to us. :)

Tigranes

Arcane
Calling lizards lwre r'apa wouldnt change the fact that they will be utterly Disney. And then youd have the other half of the codex complain they arent just called lizards.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
The setting is childish, but Dragon Command dialogues were well written. D:OS dialogues not so much (sorry, Sarah (or whatever your name *wink*)). WoW aesthetics are childish/girly too. Hope they do something about it. Not pledging so far.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fantasy y. Lyzyrdz.

Lyzyrdz from the south are called Lyzyrd Skynyrd. This would be the kind of joke Larian would make.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The setting is childish, but Dragon Command dialogues were well written. D:OS dialogues not so much (sorry, Sarah (or whatever your name *wink*)). WoW aesthetics are childish/girly too. Hope they do something about it. Not pledging so far.

I actually kinda looks better, especially concept art, but its still dumb.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I propose these for the sake of good taste:
humans ->Uhmans
dwarves ->Gnarves
elves ->Sylviliphillis
lizards ->Draconosaurs
undeads ->Fampyrs

No I didn't work on PoE.

PoE doesn't typically use weird names for any of those things except the undead.

The typical compromise here is having two names, a commonly used name identical to standard fantasy nomenclature and an in-universe "academic" name for the nerds and lorefags.

Although the Elder Scrolls seems to have eventually gotten everybody used to using Bosmer and Altmer instead of Wood Elf and High Elf.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom