Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #4: Meet the Lizards

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios

The Larian crew is back home in Belgium, which means Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter updates will be coming at a steadier pace now. Today's update is the first in a series of updates describing the racial skills from the one million dollar stretch goal that was achieved over the weekend. Specifically, it's about the skills and lore of Rivellon's Lizard folk. Here's an excerpt:

Thanks to your unlocking of the Racial Skills stretch goals, all playable species will now get unique skills. Today we're talking about the Lizards, so what unique skills could they have? If you have a good idea, do share it with us in the comments section! Nothing is set in stone yet on the Racial Skills and we'd love to hear from you.

Here's a couple of ideas to get you going. But don't hold back on us now!

Health Regeneration (Passive)
Bask in the sun and recharge those battle-damaged batteries.

Resist Poison (Passive)
Not only a lizard's speech is riddled with acid, its blood is too. Good luck trying to knock one out with something as crude as cyanide.

10% chance to fall asleep when chilled (Passive)
Cold-bloods get sleepy in low temperatures. We see it happen at Larian all the time...

Automatically hastened when warm/hot (Passive)
Hand them a cup of coffee on the other hand...

+1 Intelligence Bonus (Passive)
No Larian tie-in here, but them lizards though! They're *real* smart!

Poor Dark Vision (Passive)
Lizards are children of the sun. Take them into subterranean locales and they'll walk from stalagmite into stalactite. Don't laugh out loud though, or the cave dwellers will hear you coming!

Produce Poison (Active)
As in: the ability to fill an empty flask with poison.

Tip for the rest of the party: look away. It's only courteous.

Dragon Breath (Source Power)
It's not only a popular lizard dish, it's a skill too. The result? Instant barbecue! So still a dish.

Dragon Wings (Source Power)
Gives you ethereal dragon wings for 5 turns. With these wings you can levitate above surfaces, you're resistant to fire, you receive a massive speed boost, and you can move over small obstacles.

The only downside? We have to write smitten bird romances.

I Am Dragon (Source Power)
Grow in size and take on a dragon-like appearance for 3 turns. You are massively more powerful. As for the rest, they had better just run.

Carrion Eater (Er... Body Power?)
Because why should maggots always get dibs?
More like "I Want To Be A Dragon", amirite? See the full update for the lore part, which is also pretty cool.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Health Regeneration (Passive)
Bask in the sun and recharge those battle-damaged batteries.

Garbage.

Produce Poison (Active)
As in: the ability to fill an empty flask with poison.

If this isn't useful from start to finish, also garbage.

Mustawd

Cool to see some disadvantages (i.e. cold = slow) in there. I wish more RPGs did this, a la Realms of Arkania games.

Zeriel

Arcane
Honestly I kind of feel like the "we're DRAGUNZ LOL" angle is pretty uninteresting, and rather silly. They build up this story of it being unclear whether they are actually descended from dragons, then have skills that turn them into dragons. Oh, okay, that mystery lasted for about 2 seconds. They would also be way more intriguing as a race if they didn't have the dragon aspect, I think, genetically obsessed lizards with a politically powerful empire sounds more interesting than any dragon I've ever heard of. But that boat has sailed, every fantasy game has to have a dragon, it's in the contract or something.

Aenra

Zeriel
That particular ability you get at high(er) levels. Your origins' background ambivalence you get from second one, right when you roll your toon. One assumes that leaves plenty an intermediate for the 'surprise' to be hinted, developed, and finally full blown. So what is it again that you found "rather silly"? That they advertise their skill-line potential? It's a Kickstarter pitch. If they don't go in details, you would again complain for its lack of depth in analysis.
Has to be a silver lining somewhere i think.

As to the rest, 'i don't like dragons' i would have understood. But "every fantasy game has to have a dragon"? How about "every science fiction game has to have computers"?

SniperHF

Arcane

Haste when warm
is OP shit though. If Glasscannon stays the same this will essentially mean a free +6 AP in many scenarios. If they do spellcrafting well, I'll make a full Lizard party and give one of them an apply-warm AoE.

Remember they changed the way AP works, reducing the total number substantially. I think that requires changing glasscannon if it's even viable to keep at all.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
DOS 2 has elves, dwarves and a lizard race that Larian couldn't even be fucked to come up with a name for. Such creativity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DOS 2 has elves, dwarves and a lizard race that Larian couldn't even be fucked to come up with a name for. Such creativity.
Humans are humans, dwarves are dwarves, Lizards are lizards, what is to complicate there?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Humans are humans, dwarves are a whole race of Gimli clones, lizards are a group of animals with over 6000 fucking species and would it kill you to come up with a better name you fucking eurotrash

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These races weren't invented for D:OS 2. Seems a bit silly to come down on Larian now for something they did in 2002.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you fucking eurotrash

watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg

Ash_Firelord

Educated
So lizards can't see well in the dark? I guess they like the sun, but still... don't dragons live in caves? :P

Still, props for sleepy when cold. Best trait of the whole bunch!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Humans are humans, dwarves are a whole race of Gimli clones, lizards are a group of animals with over 6000 fucking species and would it kill you to come up with a better name you fucking eurotrash

yeah bro they should take inspiration from games workshop's recent update to warhammer fantasy and invent some creative original names (do not steal) instead

Darkzone

Arcane
Most people are identified by names given through other different people. So perhaps they call them self something like Dragonkin or Dragonzzz or whatever. But the other races simply give a shit about their believe of the dragon descendancy and call them lizards or reptilians to put them down.

Norfleet

Most people are identified by names given through other different people. So perhaps they call them self something like Dragonkin or Dragonzzz or whatever. But the other races simply give a shit about their believe of the dragon descendancy and call them lizards or reptilians to put them down.
That is because if people were regularly identified by names given by themselves, all of them would be named "People" if the names got translated, and if they weren't, they'd be unpronounceable, especially when these people aren't even humanoid and thus don't have human-like mouthparts. Just look at "humans". What does that even mean? "People".

Thus, in their native language, the lizards are undoubtedly "People (Whose Name No One Can Pronounce)", which becomes "Lizards".

When it boils down to it, humans are boring, and their home is boring: "People" from "Ground".

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lol, better to have lizards, plain and simple, than some kind of 'original' retarded name like Argonians.

Also, I want to be a lizard.

Darkzone

Arcane
That is because if people were regularly identified by names given by themselves, all of them would be named "People" if the names got translated, and if they weren't, they'd be unpronounceable, especially when these people aren't even humanoid and thus don't have human-like mouthparts. Just look at "humans". What does that even mean? "People". Thus, in their native language, the lizards are undoubtedly "People (Whose Name No One Can Pronounce)", which becomes "Lizards". When it boils down to it, humans are boring, and their home is boring: "People" from "Ground".

This is true, but not always. Example:
Slavs is derived from slovo (word) or perhaps slava (glory). (This is a self given name.)
While the poles derive their name from polanie, which is a name given for their agriculture fields. (This is perhaps a name given by franks or saxons or later by "the" germans or latin speaking prists to the tribe of polanie.)
The germans on the other hand derive their name from either gealic word for neighbors or other possibility is the "ger" spear. (This name is given by romans.)
The germans living in germany call them self "Deutsche" which is derived from "theodisk", which means speaker of the nations language / or belonging to the nation or simply nation / people of the nation. (This is a self given name.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom