Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #6: On Level Design

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

It's been two weeks since the Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter campaign launched, and it's now raised over 1.3 million dollars, with less than $50k to go until the next stretch goal. The highlight of today's update is a video about the game's level design process, though I'd say it's actually mostly about the art design and concept work. In addition, however, Larian are already thinking about their next set of stretch goals, and they're looking for suggestions. Here are the important bits from the update:

Hello again, fair backers and friends! We come to you today eager to share all kinds of good news and to ask a few questions, too.

First, we'll delve into one of the most important aspects of any game’s development: level design. In the following video, sit down with our art director Joachim who discusses how we're building fantastical worlds we hope you’ll lose yourselves within.

All Skilled Up: Almost there!

Every hour brings us closer to our next stretch goal: Pick a Skill Tree II. We're less than 50KUS$ away from getting those Polymorph skills in! (Or indeed, any other skill tier you may vote for!)

For a little refresher on what this stretch goal will mean for D:OS2, have a look at our Update #2.

Got your own ideas for some awesome new skill trees? Let us know in the comments! We're paying close attention to everything we read and are compiling an enormous list.

M...More stretch goals?

We're fast approaching the end of our list of stretch goals, but with 21 days left in our campaign, we're preparing for the possibility of adding even MORE stretch goals to our campaign. Take to the comments to let us know what you'd like to see, and keep an eye on this page for further announcements!

Everything you always wanted to know, but were too afraid to ask…

If you’ve ever experienced a Larian DevLine, you know they’re a great chance to ask the team your most burning gaming questions. Tune in on Wednesday, September 9 at 12 p.m. PST/ Los Angeles (3 p.m. ET/ New York, 21h CEST/ Brussels, 22h Moscow) for Larian DevLine, where we will stand by to answer your questions about Kickstarter, the development of Divinity: Original Sin 2, and more!

Keep your eye on our Twitch channel to join in on the fun.

Larian have also graciously provided a full recording of the "Classic RPGs Forever" panel which Swen attended at PAX Prime last Sunday, though sadly it's audio only. More on that in a future newspost after I listen to it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, level designers at inXile...
Skip to 5:36 in the video and start taking notes.
Maybe you'll pull it off for Wasteland 3.

Arkeus

Arcane
Swen is a natural at Kickstarter. His updates are actually interesting and informative, much more so than any other I've been a part of.
One thing I like is he likes trying to introduce as many of his key developer as possible during them, instead of just doing everything himself.

catfood

AGAIN
Hey, level designers at inXile...
Skip to 5:36 in the video and start taking notes.
Maybe you'll pull it off for Wasteland 3.
Yeah, except in DOS there is very little freedom with regards to exploration because areas are blocked by monsters which you cannot hope to defeat until you are their level, or at the very most one level behind.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, except in DOS there is very little freedom with regards to exploration because areas are blocked by monsters which you cannot hope to defeat until you are their level, or at the very most one level behind.
You need to seriously git good.

I didn't play much after the rebalance, but AFAIK invisibility made exploration trivial. Mix it with teleportation if you want to be extra safe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even without the monsters, D:OS 1 wasn't without its canyons, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom