Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin alpha delayed, alpha and beta now open to all Kickstarter backers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

In a repeat performance of what happened to Wasteland 2, Larian Studios' Divinity: Original Sin, after having been delayed to 2014, has now seen its alpha release delayed as well. While there's no updated release date for the alpha (smart move, Larian), there is some good news - both the alpha and the beta will now be open to all Kickstarter backers. The update explains, in a video featuring Random Internet Celebrity #134 and Dodger, better known in these parts as That Chick From DarkUnderlord's Stupid Emoticon™:

It’s the end of November, and we said the Divinity:Original Sin alpha was going to be out in November, so where is it?

Ah, I wish I could write that it’s out now, but sadly it’s not. We still need to sort out a couple of things, so a bit more patience will be needed. How much patience? Not that much, but still a bit. We’re working really hard to get everything done and we do expect the alpha to be out before our X-mas break, but ... well maybe you want to watch the big surprise first.

The big surprise!

It’s a surprise so we won’t spoil it with text, but watch the video as it contains some good news. We hope it makes you happy! Errmmm... if you are weak of heart, don't let the title fool you ;)

We decided on doing this a few weeks ago because we realized it would be much more beneficial to the game, but since we only decided on it, it’s going take us a bit more time to put everything in place. We are committed to getting this all sorted out before the X-mas break though and we solemnly swear to do everything we can to get it to you asap.

Backers who explicitly pledged extra for alpha/beta access can expect refunds/extra credit to be in place before X-mas too via their Larian Vault account. We hope you understand that we want to maximize the amount of people playing the game because that’s how we’ll be able to strike the best balance between all the different items, spells, skills and creatures.

We will also be reaching out to backers who need to get their items, npcs, dialogs, object combinations or looks in the game in the coming weeks as we’re finally ready to implement those so expect some mail if any of these were included in your pledge.

Nice. A prelude to putting the game on Steam Early Access, perhaps? I just hope the game itself isn't delayed too. At least not for too long.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Surely they knew they were not on track to release the alpha in November, why wait to the last day to announce it? This kind of communication and how it is so prevalent in the gaming industry just boggles the mind.

Otherwise, in regards to the rest of the news, nice move by Larian, cool guys.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The full release won't be delayed, they made an agreement with retailers that it'd be out on the shelves on February 28. Though Vincke now knows retail is dead so he won't be making such foolish deals in the future.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The full release won't be delayed, they made an agreement with retailers that it'd be out on the shelves on February 28. Though Vincke now knows retail is dead so he won't be making such foolish deals in the future.
Fuck

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I have the feeling that, development troubles notwithstanding, these mid-sized studios are simply afraid of making their alphas and betas public. Now, this might be for good reasons, but if they're really that afraid of the consequences of releasing these, then they shouldn't fucking put it in their reward tiers. I honestly doubt it has much of an influence on the pledge levels.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
they made an agreement with retailers that it'd be out on the shelves on February 28.

Really? Where did you hear that?
http://www.lar.net/2013/09/26/why-did-we-stretch/
Swen in your last blog entry you said "The most important one for me was that in the future I’ll try to only commit to a release date when the game is actually done.", and what have you done in todays update and blog entry: specify a release data before the game is done. Doh! (Note the KS update says "specifically" for 28th Feb, and your blog is "most likely")
Hi Robert - I'm quite aware of that ;) DOS is a game that's already in production with real contracts in place, so there's only that much I can do, and I did the maximum I could to extend development. I hope that for our future games, I'll be able to apply my own lessons.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have the feeling that, development troubles notwithstanding, these mid-sized studios are simply afraid of making their alphas and betas public. Now, this might be for good reasons, but if they're really that afraid of the consequences of releasing these, then they shouldn't fucking put it in their reward tiers. I honestly doubt it has much of an influence on the pledge levels.
I don't want to play these anyway, especially the alpha. Why spoil the game?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What's up with hiring C-list internet celebrities to hype games? Also in before vaporware.

Raapys

Arcane
I don't want to play these anyway, especially the alpha. Why spoil the game?
I certainly see that argument for story-focused games. But in general, your input in the alpha/beta might end up making the gameplay better or more to your liking. Granted, with so many people participating you'd need a very loud scream.

made

Arcane
At first I was angry about the delay but then they shoved youtube "personalities" in my face so I couldn't help but to go aww how quaint. VD should do that every month.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
At first I was angry about the delay but then they shoved youtube "personalities" in my face so I couldn't help but to go aww how quaint. VD should do that every month.
Yeah Vault Dweller, Y U no has Dodger on your videos?

Ask her to record herself playing, then we edit all her deaths and cries together and post a video about her despair... then tagline: "Age of Decadence raped Dodger; do you have what it takes to avenge her, oh brave white knight?"

That should get some media coverage....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This person:

image.gif

Quite the codexian spirit.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
This Thread is now a support group for lovestruck fools who lost their hearts to a Youtube superstar.

I'd hit it. After all I always had a thing for bum beards, as my Avatar can testify.

made

Arcane
Her mouth is huge. I want to stuff my foot inside. Thumbs up if u agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom